PDA

View Full Version : How I try and calm down and cope with the nightmares/flashbacks

sleepylea
18-11-07, 13:39
Hi everyone, I had a flashback a few nights ago, and wondered how people cope with these?

Personally, after the advice of a counciller I once saw, what I do is turn the bedroom light on, and out loud, I say todays date and the rough time, I then say "I have just had a flashback of the accident, I am now in my bedroom, and I can see *list stuff in the room* and the accident is not happening now, I am fine"

I combine this with the breathing excersizes I was shown, and *usually* I can get back to sleep fine. They say its something like brain training, if you repeat this every time I have a flashback, the brain should stop worrying and bring me back to the now. I also do it if I am out and about too, of course under my breath:winks: Well thats my flashbacks and how I try and not panic over them, anyone else do something similar?

FRANKIEISBACK
18-11-07, 15:35
do u take any meds ?

prozac is supposed to be helpful for ptsd ?

and a small dose of an anti psychotic

sleepylea
19-11-07, 09:09
Nope, I dont take anything for my ptsd.

jo61
19-11-07, 13:34
That sounds like a good strategy for any night-time waking. Thanks, I'll try it. By the time I've counted all the stuff on my floor I'd be asleep anyway :blush:

sleepylea
20-11-07, 12:41
I hope it works for you. Let me know how you get on yeah?

Glaucus@hotmail.com
20-11-07, 20:06
Don't take long term meds (not even temporarily). Self cure is possible. Do not trust all the Doctors and espcially do not trust volunteer helpers and unqualified therapists.

I assume your blood pressure is elevated. This is the Emotional Shock. This is the Critical Stress manual.

You should know about N-Recovery (pretty very much the same):
http://www.n-courage.net/recovery.htm
http://www.narcissism-abuse-recovery.com/

Pink Princess
30-11-07, 03:40
sleepy thanks for that, i i dont sleep because of flashbacks and nightmares and they are my trigger for attacks. i will try that. thankyou for that :)

xxx