PDA

View Full Version : Going Abroad!

EMMA
12-02-05, 09:24
Hi guys!

Never thought I could ever bring myself to go abroad ever again. But I thought "this is silly!" I've been going abroad twice year since I was 18 so why should it be any different now?

I had a massive panic attack when I went to Barcelona for my hen weekend in June and had to come back the next day. Never wanted to abroad again!! The mere thought of going on a plane and being in a foreign country frightened the life out of me. Even had to cancel my honeymoon to Mauritius! :(

Anyway, I'm feeling loads better now and we went on a flight to Edinburgh a few weeks ago. I felt fine on the plane and it has made me want to go abroad again![Yeah!]

So I have booked a week in Fuerteventura. We've been there before and the flight is 4 hours so not too bad. Don't think I could do long haul just yet so hopefully this holiday will do just the job. I am craving a hot sunny beach and there was no way I was never going to go again. Holidays have always been the highlight of my year!

I am still a little anxious about going but I shall take some emergency diazepam with me. But I won't take any unless I feel really bad.

I shall let you know how I get on!!

Take care everyone

Emma xx

seh1980
12-02-05, 10:31
hello Emma,

Well done!! :) I'm sure you will have a brilliant time.

I go abroad two or three times a year and even though I get nervous, it's always worth it in the end. I had my first panic attack abroad as well, in Norway, and that really scared me. Never thought I could do it again but I did. I wimped out of going to Malaysia at Xmas time but managed to go to the US two summers ago. I'm sure you will be fine and will have a great time!!

Sarah :D

FAN
12-02-05, 12:09
hi thats great news that your having your holiday i hope it goes well keep us posted

fan x

Karen
13-02-05, 00:48
Hi Emma

Well done. I hope you have a great holiday.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

kate
13-02-05, 09:33
Nice one Emma!

Have a lovely time.

Kate x

Meg
13-02-05, 10:19
Emma,

Thats great progress.

I used to take 5 planes to get to my place of work every 3 months and had no issues about traveling the world alone.

Post initial panic I refused point blank to get on a plane at all for about 18 month - now I just got back from travelling in Egypt, Israel and Jordan.

Bit of determination after some progress ..

Have a great trip.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
13-02-05, 11:01
Well done Emma

You're doing really well. Keep up the good work and congratulations once again! :)

Cheers

J

clickaway
13-02-05, 15:14
Well done, Emma!

I somehow managed to drive from Surrey to Paris last July after months of having anxiety disorder.

I wasn't that great over there, except when I headed back to the hotel at night!

But I did a similar drive to Amsterdam a month later and was a lot lot calmer.

Whilst I can't even drive the car today, these experiences indicate that once again I'll be able to drive to the continent again in time.

Cheers,

Ray

nomorepanic
13-02-05, 18:57
Emma

Well done you - a big step forward and you will have a fab time there.

Pack a good flight coping pack - rescue remedy, water, books etc and you will be ok.

Nicola

jill
13-02-05, 19:40
[Wow!] a big WLL DONE Emma:D:D

When are you going? hope you have a
fab time:D

LOVE JILLXXX

The past cannot be canged,
but the future is in your power.

~S~
13-02-05, 19:56
:D:D:D:D

Well done Emma, Have a fab time and make sure you let us know how you got on.

You are a big inspiration to me cos my biggest 'top of my list/aim' for the future is to go abroad again, I cant wait to hear what a great time you had and that it is possible to overcome this.

~Sarah~ xxx