PDA

View Full Version : Broke my hip, had surgery, but now terrified with dreadful upset stomach

Coppernob
08-12-21, 21:33
12 days ago I had a very bad fall while playing badminton, admitted to hospital then moved to another one, and had successful total hip replacement. The time in hospital was horrible, I was in for 9 days, which should have been time for them to put the necessary aids in my house, but they didn't, and because I live with my husband they assumed I would be fine. Eventually an occupational therapist arrived yesterday and has ordered raised toilet seats, handrails etc,, which will be installed in a few days. The result of course is that my HA has ramped up, not especially about the hip or the op, but because my stomach has erupted with typical IBS symptoms, diarrhoea,pain,wind etc, spoiling my sleep and affecting my recovery. How much can be blamed on the surgery, hospital stay, vast quantities of drugs (including copious laxatives) I don't know. I'm just looking for crumbs of comfort and any strategies for dealing with night-time panics resulting in wind and stomach pains.

ErinKC
09-12-21, 01:26
I would imagine that all of the stomach issues are from the surgery and drugs - especially if you're taking laxatives! But general anesthesia does a number on your digestive system. I had a hysterectomy in the winter and it took weeks for my stomach to be back to normal. I'd just try to take it easy and easy light foods and kick the laxatives if you don't need them anymore. I stuck with stool softeners after my surgery and the occasional prune juice if I needed a bit more. I think laxatives can cause cramps, etc...

Coppernob
09-12-21, 08:30
Thanks for your reply ErinKC. I ditched the laxatives as soon as they started to work, I think they are of doubtful benefit to me. I didn't have general anaesthesia I had a spinal block, so I don't know how much blame I can attach to that. I do think the whole trauma of the fall and surgery and hospital stay is possibly what is upsetting my stomach. I may try to talk to my GP later.