PDA

View Full Version : Will ER doctor tell you if anything wrong on chest X-ray?

nhelen79
10-12-21, 21:17
Hi
I went to ER this morning because I felt pressure in middle of chest.

They took EKG, chest X-ray and blood tests. The doctor released me and told me everything is ok. He pointed out my sugar number is a little bit elevated when I asked him about another blood number.

I went home, reread the release paper and saw on my chest X-ray has this “ elevation of right hemidiaphragm. No focal point identified”.

If this is an issue, why didn’t he tell me? I’m just wondering if anything wrong on chest X-ray not related to the heart issue he’s trying to Treat at the ER, is he required to tell patients like this incidental finding? I’m waiting for my doctor response. I’m getting worried again.

Fishmanpa
10-12-21, 23:22
They wouldn't have sent you home if there was something wrong.

FMP

nhelen79
11-12-21, 00:33
They wouldn't have sent you home if there was something wrong.

FMP

Thanks Fishmanpa.
I was hoping even if it’s not something related to the heart, he would have told me. I shall not read the release paper. Now I have it on my mind.

Chlobo
11-12-21, 10:54
Oh he would of told you if there was an issue for sure

pulisa
11-12-21, 13:49
Irrelevant benign incidental findings are always a possibility with scans...You are doing the right thing by putting your discharge notes away. You have been sent home as tests have shown that your heart is fine.

Carys
11-12-21, 15:08
Irrelevant benign incidental findings are always a possibility with scans

Yup. this has been mentioned on here a few times before - especially to those people who chase scans and tests with no symptoms or necessity (not saying yours was the case). The number of times 'something else' is found, which is of no concern at all and would never have been known about or cause a problem through a lifetime, yet it sets off more fears and questions (and possible unneccessary sorgery or treatments.)

pulisa
11-12-21, 17:49
Consultants call these findings "incidentalomas". They are a nightmare for people with HA. That's why if you can learn to manage your HA then you can recognise anxiety symptoms and limit tests to clinical need only.

BrightPhoenix
12-12-21, 22:52
Consultants call these findings "incidentalomas". They are a nightmare for people with HA. That's why if you can learn to manage your HA then you can recognise anxiety symptoms and limit tests to clinical need only.

I looked this up - apparently it's a huge ethical/philosophical issue because like you said, it can cause stress for both people with HA and the physicians who have to figure out whether or not it's clinically significant. I have most health sites blocked because of my HA but I did look up a Wikipedia article and that one had an article on it and you're indeed right.