PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo anxiety - appointment tomorrow

BlueIris
14-12-21, 13:13
So, to get the basics out of the way:

Yes, of course I want it, I've wanted this particular one for around three years now.
Yes, I have two others, I know roughly what to expect.
No, I'm not afraid of needles.
Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

However, after a brief scare when I thought the appointment was going to be cancelled, crap just got real and the nausea and shakes have kicked in. My last tattoo experience was a bit of a nightmare; the artist was yelling at me and making threats about what would happen if I didn't relax muscles I hadn't even known I was tensing. I landed up with a beautiful piece of artwork and some seriously traumatic memories.

This time round I've found a lovely female artist, and today she gave me a preview of what she drew up from the references I gave her. It's beautiful, it makes my heart sing and I'm struggling not to show it to everyone I know.

Anxiety always finds a way, though, and I've convinced myself I'll manage to screw it up somehow and/or make myself even uglier. Annoyingly, I'm at work with a lot to be doing today and my focus isn't really the greatest.

Not particularly seeking advice or reassurance, just wanted to put it out there - even writing about how scared I'm feeling still leaves me feeling excited about it. I haven't wanted anything this much in a while, which is possibly why the fear's spiking.

pulisa
14-12-21, 13:55
When are you having it done, Blue? This is surely anticipatory anxiety?

Sorry..I missed the thread title!! Sounds like you have planned meticulously for this special tattoo so don't let your self-doubts sabotage such a lovely gift to yourself?

BlueIris
14-12-21, 14:16
Thanks, Pulisa.

I did work it out in the end - I'm excited rather than anxious, I'm just not used to being excited.

pulisa
14-12-21, 14:25
I used to get panic attacks at football matches when it got exciting!

It will be a good day for you tomorrow and a lovely pre-Christmas treat!

LittleLionMan
14-12-21, 17:14
I get anxious when a big bet is coming in.
I don’t mind, because I know what it is, but adrenaline is adrenaline I suppose!

It will all be worth it Blue!

Catkins
14-12-21, 17:35
How exciting Blue! I'd love another tattoo (I have one) and would love to have an art nouveau carnation on my ankle (my mums favourite flower).

There is such a fine line between anxiety and excitement, I've definitely fallen for that one.

Magic
14-12-21, 18:29
I had a tattoo the side of my let hand when I was younger. i remember how excited i felt. I expected pain but there was none
Good Luck BlueIris x

BlueIris
14-12-21, 18:33
That sounds gorgeous, Catkins.

I'm getting a cute, colourful spider. Feeling vaguely guilty because my mother is arachnophobic. Not normally into spiders myself, but peacock spiders are particularly adorable.

glassgirlw
14-12-21, 22:22
I want another so bad too. They’re quite addictive I’ve found lol. It also sounds like that one tat artist you had should probably find another line of work lol. It’s fantastic he’s such a good artist, but if he’s horrible at dealing with people then tattooing may not be his forte haha.

good luck!! I hope it comes out as you want!!

BlueIris
15-12-21, 04:41
Thank you! It's in a few hours now, and I'm just taking the time to get myself into the right headspace.

Catkins
15-12-21, 06:06
It sounds lovely BI. I'd love to see it.

pulisa
15-12-21, 08:17
Me too! I hope it's a really enjoyable experience and that you're delighted with the result.

BlueIris
15-12-21, 08:32
Thanks. Heading out in an hour and a half or so - bit nervous, obviously, but really looking forward to it.

Lolalee1
15-12-21, 10:40
You will be fine BI:yesyes:I would like another tatt,one of my mum but have no more space.

BlueIris
15-12-21, 14:06
It's done, and it's beautiful. An overwhelmingly positive experience despite the pain. Will post a photo once I've made it home and washed it off.

AnxietySufferer
23-12-21, 15:09
Happy for you!!!

Scissel
05-01-22, 18:09
Awesome; Iris :okay: