PDA

View Full Version : GERD, hiatal hernia, anxiety - oh my!

ErinKC
14-12-21, 16:42
My anxiety and stress have been higher than usual the last few weeks, I've been eating poorly, and also took more ibuprofen than usual. For about 2 weeks I've had pretty bad reflux symptoms, which haven't been an issue for me at all since my hysterectomy got rid of the giant fibroids pressing on my stomach. It started a few days after I went to get a possible umbilical hernia checked and I'm wondering if all the pressure the doctor put on my abdomen may have aggravated something. It got bad when I swallowed something too big and felt it slowly move all the way down. Since, everything has been SO IRRITATED.

Last night it got worse. It feels like there is something lodged in my chest, just under my breasts and I can't even imagine eating. The sensation almost wraps around my torso causing tension in my back. Is this what a hiatal hernia feels like? I would not be surprised to have once considering my pregnancy and then fibroids and that I'm overweight. But, this flare up just came out of nowhere! I've freaked myself out a bit looking into them and seeing that a very small percentage do become stuck and can be an emergency. Everything I read said only the really big or serious ones cause bad symptoms like these.

BUT - then all these symptoms also align with GERD on its own. AND ANXIETY.

I have a final tonight and so I guess I'm looking for (1) some reassurance that these are normal symptoms that might flare up with a benign hiatal hernia or just GERD and (2) and tips and tricks for helping it flare back down so I can concentrate on my test later today!

Basically I have reflux, constant burping, tightness/stuck feeling in my chest, and no appetite.

Thanks for any insight!

Catkins
14-12-21, 17:53
Ok so you have been more stressed over the last few weeks and with me that often goes straight to my digestive system, IBS plays up, I have a hiatus hernia and I get more reflux, it could definitely be following the same pattern with you. I up my PPI tablets, eat blander, simple food and it usually settles down in a few weeks.

ErinKC
14-12-21, 22:20
Thanks, Catkins! Has yours been bad like this? Everything I eat hurts doing down and the pain/discomfort kind of radiates around to my back. It's awful. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow, but BLERG.

Catkins
15-12-21, 06:16
Not so much on the way down, but as soon as it hits my stomach the pain can start. The body can do all kinds of weird things when you're anxious.