PDA

View Full Version : MND worry

Ian3124
15-12-21, 18:57
Hi there,

First time posting on the board but long time viewer 😂

This has been posted about many times before so redirect me if appropriate.

I’ve had an array of different health anxiety worries over the last while - it’s almost something new I’m convinced is a massive problem - that changes a couple of times in one week.

At the minute I’m in quite a state of panic regarding motor neurone disease and initial symptoms. I’ve read that this can affect the ability to stand up on ones tip toes on one leg initially. This is something I’ve noticed is a challenge for me today. I know that this being a challenge and this being an actual weakness as it relates to this disease is a massive leap. But I’ve yet to find it written anywhere specifically what I’m experiencing.

Yesterday I did have a chiropractic adjustment for my lower back which immediately had my calf on the right side very sore after a little walking. This feels like I’m using the muscles on this side differently. It’s very sore today! Not in a bad way. However I’ve noticed it’s very challenging for me to do a single leg calf raise on this side compared to the other leg. I’m not sure if this has always been the case of the adjustment had highlighted it. If I’m sitting and adding lesser resistance I can work through the movement fine - but when I’m standing bodyweight. It’s a real challenge to get to the top.

I know I’m rambling a bit - perhaps all I need is a little reassurance today 😂 thanks guys

Ian3124
17-12-21, 18:17
Feel free to tell me I’m crazy 😂

I’m still in a bit of a panic over this. There is a definite weakness in one of my calves. But I think this probably has had something to do with my slipped disc and something being pinched. Minutes after my adjustment this week my hamstring and calf began to cramp up just from walking - it was like doing a workout for the first time and my calf is still sore on that side.

I can fully engage the calf on that side with a calf raise - although under less load. Under my full body weight I can’t quite get full extension and certainly not for many reps. But if I help with the other leg a tiny amount I can complete full reps. I’m hopeful and assuming this sort of weakness isn’t a symptom of MND. It’s load dependent.

Any feedback welcome

Scared-to-human
20-12-21, 05:38
Hi Ian, after reading this.. it’s not been one of my personal health anxiety worries BUT they all seem to follow a certain pattern of .. you read about it or start thinking about what you’re afraid of and then it happens.. your mind is incredibly powerful and you’ll be tuning into these sensations. I know I do it but I still can’t stop it! It’s so difficult! Your mind always makes everything sooooo much worse! I’m sure you’re absolutely fine 😃😃

Scared-to-human
20-12-21, 05:40
I’ll also add, I did have a weever fish sting in my left foot 🦶 earlier this year. I read it could travel up your leg and effect the muscle and guesss what… it did!!!! I got myself in such a state I went and sat in A&E and the second she told me I was absolutely fine, my calf calmed down. The pain and tension was SO strong and real!!!!!

Ian3124
20-12-21, 08:53
I’ll also add, I did have a weever fish sting in my left foot 🦶 earlier this year. I read it could travel up your leg and effect the muscle and guesss what… it did!!!! I got myself in such a state I went and sat in A&E and the second she told me I was absolutely fine, my calf calmed down. The pain and tension was SO strong and real!!!!!

Thank you SO much for the reply here. I was beginning to think everything thought I was a gonner 😂

You’re very right. And I’ve worked myself into so much of a frenzy over this - I’ve been constantly trying to put my calf in the most awkward standing positions - even subconsciously. And fatiguing it to its limit ! And the more fatigued it gets as the day goes on the more of a panic I get into.

After testing it there straight after getting out of bed there actually wasn’t a whole lot of noticeable difference between the left and the right. There’s a good chance I do also just have a significant strain (as it’s been very sore and tight for 5+ days) which will make it feel weak.

But I certainly did jump to the worst possible conclusion and I did fully convince myself of the worst the other night. Haven’t had it that bad in years.

You’re right - it’s definitely a factor of the mind as well tuning into the function of that leg now on a micro scale - I’m going to start to notice odd sensations.

Scared-to-human
20-12-21, 17:40
That’s exactly what I did with my calf! I was definitely trying to stand in awkward positions to almost ‘test’ it. We do all this to ourselves - it’s just so hard to get out of it!
Focusing so hard on any area of the body… you’ll notice sensations and feelings that you wouldn’t usually! I’m doing it currently with my throat and breathing. It’s so scary but we do it to ourselves! Xx

Aurora85
27-12-21, 13:37
How are you doing now Ian?
I have had exactly the same issue as you the past few days and scared myself silly

Ian3124
29-12-21, 00:10
How are you doing now Ian?
I have had exactly the same issue as you the past few days and scared myself silly

Hi Aurora,

Actually the strength has come back in my calf. I think it was either down to my chiropractic adjustment changed my stance slightly and really highlighted weak muscle group - combined with straining the muscle itself as well must have caused the weakness. As soon as the soreness from the strain went away the strength picked up again quite suddenly.

What were your symptoms ?

Aurora85
29-12-21, 17:36
Struggling to do a single calf raise on the one foot compared to the other. Not sure if there has always been a difference and just due to dominant non-dominent leg or not but it is quite marked.

Ian3124
29-12-21, 22:47
Struggling to do a single calf raise on the one foot compared to the other. Not sure if there has always been a difference and just due to dominant non-dominent leg or not but it is quite marked.

Was it my own post on here that triggered the observation? 😂

Aurora85
30-12-21, 06:59
Lol no I.found this while looking for reassurance!