PDA

View Full Version : Lump and Nose Problems

Elfking
16-12-21, 01:45
Hello,

I feel like recently my life has been one health scare after another and all because of anxiety... but this time I have a definite physical symptom so I don't think it's all in my head!

Three weeks ago I found a small lump in my nose. It's in my right nostril about an inch up on the side. You can feel it from the outside but it's definitely on the inside where the bumb is. It's not painful and for a couple of weeks I had no other symptoms. I spoke to a doctor who advised to wait a few weeks and expected it to go away without any intervention being needed.

This week things have seemingly progressed a little. The lump is still there, I'm unsure if it's bigger or not, but now that side of my sinuses is blocked. The left side is normal but the right side is blocked.

I spoke to a doctor again and they have prescribed me a steroid spray but the doctors haven't seen me in person. I can't help worrying that it is something more serious. I've asked Dr. Google (despite knowing what a bad idea that is) and felt somewhat reassured since Nasal cancers are very rare but I can't help but worry. In the meantime it's impossible not to focus on it since having half a blocked nose is very distracting!

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this?

Elfking
18-12-21, 03:23
Well, no one replied but I went to the doctor's so thought I'd give anyone who looks an update.

The doctor said I have an "interesting" nose. It turns out I have a cyst in a very awkward place where most of it is under the skin and they don't want to lance it. I also have a deviated septum (first I've heard of it) and the two things combined are why one of my nostrils is getting blocked easily.

Basically nothing to be done unless I get surgery for the septum. They said they wanted to leave the cyst and EVENTUALLY it would go away but it might be a long time. Is that normal? I thought these things were generally lanced?

At least I know it's nothing serious :)

Catkins
18-12-21, 06:37
Some cysts do get reabsorbed. My husband had one in his throat and surgery was recommended but on the day of the surgery he mentioned to the surgeon that he wasn't having any symptoms anymore so they checked and it had gone. Saved him going under anaesthetic.