PDA

View Full Version : Clothing and how it makes you feel

UW
19-11-07, 03:45
This might be a little out there but please keep with me.

In my job I am lucky enough to be able to wear my own clothes 99% of the time (against wearing uniform). When I know I am going into an environment when I know the people will be hostile against me or I need to present an image of force then I dress all in black (and normally chuck in a leather jacket). When I feel depressed in the morning before going to work then I will throw on my favourite jacket.

The other thing I note is when i wear a suit to work I change clothes when get home and it helps to take me out of my work/getting ready to face the world mindset. Yet when I am in other more casual clothes I get home and don't change and I stay in the work mindset.

So my question to you is how does your clothing affect your mood? And do you notice a difference once you change from your work clothes into other clothes.

beauty
19-11-07, 10:58
Yeah i get what you mean, for me wearing a shirt and smart pants and heels reminds me of being in work and i tend to feel more panicky there, but when i come home and and in my trainers and jeans i not only feel more comfortable physically but i feel more comfortable mentally as the clothing represents being at home and therefore being calm.
For me i think it is more of a unconscious thought that i dont actually realise untill i think about it. xx

Coni
19-11-07, 16:04
I think this is spot on...my occ health doctor actually recommended changing clothes when I finished work to 'end' the day, as I had trouble leaving work behind....and it really does help.

Also I used to wear a uniform for work and I found as soon as I put it on I 'became' that kind of person, it was almost like a mask for me to hide behind.

Now I dont wear a uniform but I have 'work' clothes and its almost the same thing....I can pretend not to be me when I'm at work (though I do still struggle with my thoughts and anxiety to some extent)....I'm sure my colleagues would be suprised to find just how 'mad' I can be lol!

I also wear a lot of black, especially when I'm feeling unsure of myself, like it almost allows me to disappear.

Hope this makes sense...very interesting thread.

luv Coni XX