PDA

View Full Version : Covid lateral flow ?

Elliejane44
26-12-21, 11:44
Hi
My teen son tested positive for Covid last Sunday . He had mild symptoms on Sat 18th and tested negative in lateral flow twice before testing positive Sunday morning . Anyway the only symptom he has is congested blocked nose and gunk in throat at times
We live in Scotland uk so have 10 day isolation rules and as per nhs he would get out of isolation on morning of 29th December . That is what track and trace said
We have been doing lateral flow the last 3 nights as if they were clear I might have met him into rest of house as he isolating in his room .
23rd test had a firm line
24th it was nearly gone so I expected 25th to be pretty faint or gone even but it was back with stronger line again like 23rd. This upset my son and
For some reason this is really worrying me that he is going to get much worse or something as why would it show stronger .
Yesterday he said it was his best day for symptoms since it started but he seems more congested again

Any thoughts ? I had quite a lot if things happen to mean this past few months and can feel myself getting very anxious . I just desperate to see a negative test from him again . I feel like I getting a bit obsessed with the lateral flow now

Today is day 8

Ellie

elizabethalice
26-12-21, 11:55
Hello, it sounds like your son is fine, a lot of things can affect LFTs including how much virus is in his nose at that particular time (how much snot there is etc). It sounds like he's still positive but that's nothing to worry about at all. If he was going to get worse, he would have done by now.

I'd just leave the LFTs for a day or two, especially if it doesn't affect you leaving isolation. LFTs didn't exist when I had covid and I just left isolation after 10 days and when I felt better!

Gary A
26-12-21, 14:46
You can test positive for up to 90 days after infection. The tests pick up viral cells, these cells can remain in the body for very lengthy periods of time. They aren’t active, they’re essentially dead, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be picked up by either LFT or PCR testing.

If symptoms are improving then that’s all you should be paying attention to. After ten days the active infection is over. He’ll be absolutely fine.

NancyW
26-12-21, 21:11
My son's employer wants a negative test result for him to come back to work.

He'll be at 10 days a week from today.

Elliejane44
26-12-21, 22:59
Thanks for posting . I not going to do any more as is stressing me or I will try not anyway

That’s bad an employer wanting it as if government saying it no risk after 10 days he should be allowed back . Such stressful and worrying times .

NancyW
27-12-21, 01:28
Ellie my 28 year old son is positive. He was fine Christmas eve, slightly sniffly Christmas morning.. nothing to be alerted to.. Christmas day mid afternoon he started feeling sick. By 4pm he had chills, 6pm fever. Sore throat, achy, weak.

The rapid tests are very hard to get, actually its hard to get tested at all. I did get one from my niece and he tested positive last night.

I'm not sure how we will get a test for him to go back to work.
2 years in and the US is still shamefully behind.

Scass
27-12-21, 11:20
Ellie my 28 year old son is positive. He was fine Christmas eve, slightly sniffly Christmas morning.. nothing to be alerted to.. Christmas day mid afternoon he started feeling sick. By 4pm he had chills, 6pm fever. Sore throat, achy, weak.

The rapid tests are very hard to get, actually its hard to get tested at all. I did get one from my niece and he tested positive last night.

I'm not sure how we will get a test for him to go back to work.
2 years in and the US is still shamefully behind.

Rapid tests are scarce here too Nancy. But we do have PCR tests too, do you have them? Hope your son is feeling better now and is able to get hold of a test to go back to work.

OP - good idea to stop testing for now, I’m sure he’ll be fine too but I know it’s an anxious time. In England we can now come out of isolation if we have negative tests on day 6 and 7. My daughter (age 7) still had a negative test on day 6 but was clear 7 and 8. She also had a blocked nose & seemed a bit more tired than usual.

My nephew (also a teen) had a slight headache, blocked nose and lost his taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iwant2bhealthy
29-12-21, 20:45
Hi Ellie, how is your son doing? My husband tested positive today (PCR test), while I remain negative. Not sure how it's possible... Of course as soon as I saw the result of his test I immediately started to feel a little out of breath. I blame it on stress and my asthma, but the thought is there, so I am looking for some reassurance from people who had corona.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk