PDA

View Full Version : Stomach pulse fear.

YeezyTaughtMe3
27-12-21, 17:58
I went through a major health anxiety episode 5 years ago. Due to this, my blood pressure became elevated. I got over the HA stuff for years but I've been obsessed over my blood pressure leading to anxiety and elevated readings around it. A self-fulfilling prophecy. My doctor wanted me to start checking at home for 3 months, which I did with an average of 135/77. Can't seem to ever calm down when taking it. He decided to up by HPB dosage.

I admit, the past 3 months my anxiety and stress has been up due to the blood pressure concerns. While waking last week I felt my pulse near my belly button (I've had this fear of abdominal aortic aneurysm before). I could feel a very strong pulse above my navel which I haven't felt before - as I check from time to time. I immediately felt the anxiety rush through me. I'm a super healthy, very fit 32-year-old male - 6 foot 1, 180 lbs. This week I've been a mess. Obsessively checking my stomach for a pulse and feeling dread when I feel the pulse still there. Has my elevated blood pressure led to an AAA? Could compulsively checking for a pulse with my fingers done damage to my aorta? I'm pretty shaken up.

MrLurcher
27-12-21, 18:33
I went through this worry for a bit a few years ago. What started it for me was seeing my stomach pulsate in the bath. I'm 35, reasonably fit, but not super-slim.

However I didn't go to the doctor over it - which for me was rare. AAA usually affects older people, who have led unhealthy lifestyles and smoked.

It's quite common if you're thin to be able to feel a pulse strongly - it is a large blood vessell after all!

Try to stop worrying, this is rare in older people anyway, and most likely impossible in a 32 year old fit male. You're fine.

YeezyTaughtMe3
27-12-21, 21:01
How did you overcome this AAA fear? I scheduled a doctor appointment for tomorrow to get her take. My anxiety is through the roof on what will happen if she finds something, or is concerned, how will I react? etc...

It was temporary relief scheduling the appointment, now I'm catastrophizing at the outcome.

MrLurcher
27-12-21, 21:43
How did you overcome this AAA fear? I scheduled a doctor appointment for tomorrow to get her take. My anxiety is through the roof on what will happen if she finds something, or is concerned, how will I react? etc...

It was temporary relief scheduling the appointment, now I'm catastrophizing at the outcome.

How did I overcome it? I moved on to another worry! Wasn't my proudest time back then, moving from one serious worry to another.

Nothing will be found, all the odds are against it.

Pudding
28-12-21, 12:59
Hi, your blood pressure is fine. Most people would be pleased with a blood pressure of 135/77. The first number usually goes up and down with your mood so if anxious this will be slightly higher, the lower number is the main one and that is practically text book.