PDA

View Full Version : Daughter has cold symptoms and 6 negative lfts

rainbow
28-12-21, 16:08
My 18 year old daughter started to feel like she was getting a cold on Christmas Eve, she did a lft that came back negative, she has since developed a cough and is isolating in her room. She has had 6 negative lft’s in 4 days, I am going to book a pcr for her. She feels fine, just like a mild cold. She is double vaccinated.

My main concern is for my 14 year old son who is unvaccinated and has a slight sore throat. I held out on him having the vaccine as I am so scared of the possibility of heart inflammation. Now I feel guilty that I have not made sure he was protected and have been having awful intrusive thoughts. I hate myself.

Scass
28-12-21, 16:11
Oh lovely, don’t hate yourself! This is such a stressful time for all.
All I can tell you is that my 14yo nephew had it and was barely ill, he was vaccinated 2 days before he tested positive, so I don’t think it had much a chance to kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainbow
28-12-21, 16:29
Oh lovely, don’t hate yourself! This is such a stressful time for all.
All I can tell you is that my 14yo nephew had it and was barely ill, he was vaccinated 2 days before he tested positive, so I don’t think it had much a chance to kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for being kind but I don’t deserve it, I let my anxiety get in the way of doing the right thing for my son.

pulisa
28-12-21, 17:59
What is the "right thing" though? I'm not sure that vaccines have much of an impact on actually getting covid and if he has got it then he'll just get mild symptoms. He's young and healthy, rainbow. You did what you thought was best for him and he could have really insisted that he wanted the vaccine...?

Anyway..your daughter could just have a normal cold. It's still possible!

elizabethalice
28-12-21, 18:05
Try not to worry! I'm sure your son will be fine no matter what. 6 negative lfts is a fairly reliable indicator IMO if she's doing the tests right. My boyfriend had a cold a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't covid, my dad also had a fever and it wasn't (both negative PCRs). There are still other things going around! Keep her isolated until you get her PCR back but I'm sure she will be okay

Carys
28-12-21, 20:23
....I think he did try to insist he wanted the vaccine Pulisa, I recall replying on another thread trying to ease Rainbow's fears about the heart inflammation issue.

I let my anxiety get in the way of doing the right thing for my son.

I think this is a really important point actually. Its pretty unlikely, even if this was covid, that your son will suffer badly from it - for most people of this age it is very mild indeed. Covid is not the illness that was facing us 2 years ago, even for the elderly people with comorbidities there are treatments and a better understanding and improved prognosis. Your son is young and healthy. However, you do recognise here that you did let your HA disallow something which he really wanted and you have some regret about that. He was being socially responsible and he didn't have the fears you have, he was being logical, and realistic and there was lots of advice that even if the exceptionally rare heart condition occurred then it was treatable. I'm not doing a 'told you so', that isn't my intention, but its important to recognise that in hindsight, your HA stopped his request happening.

Now I feel guilty that I have not made sure he was protected and have been having awful intrusive thoughts. I hate myself.

Nobody can turn back time, all we can do is learn for moving forward, we've all made mistakes and done things we regret. There is no need to 'hate yourself' because something important can come out of this and affect how you respond and view things in the future. That is the very best that can come out of this, a different future :)

BUT........... 6 negative lateral flows surely mean a cold and not covid - it would be pretty astounding to get that many negative lft tests and still have it. If they have a pcr and are both clear - would you consider the vaccine for him ?

Catkins
28-12-21, 20:25
She's doing the right thing having a PCR test and isolating. You could always get a PCR test for your son to be on the safe side?

I know it's worrying for you but at the moment the majority of people are only getting mild symptoms and recovering quickly.

rainbow
29-12-21, 08:23
....I think he did try to insist he wanted the vaccine Pulisa, I recall replying on another thread trying to ease Rainbow's fears about the heart inflammation issue.

I think this is a really important point actually. Its pretty unlikely, even if this was covid, that your son will suffer badly from it - for most people of this age it is very mild indeed. Covid is not the illness that was facing us 2 years ago, even for the elderly people with comorbidities there are treatments and a better understanding and improved prognosis. Your son is young and healthy. However, you do recognise here that you did let your HA disallow something which he really wanted and you have some regret about that. He was being socially responsible and he didn't have the fears you have, he was being logical, and realistic and there was lots of advice that even if the exceptionally rare heart condition occurred then it was treatable. I'm not doing a 'told you so', that isn't my intention, but its important to recognise that in hindsight, your HA stopped his request happening.

Nobody can turn back time, all we can do is learn for moving forward, we've all made mistakes and done things we regret. There is no need to 'hate yourself' because something important can come out of this and affect how you respond and view things in the future. That is the very best that can come out of this, a different future :)

BUT........... 6 negative lateral flows surely mean a cold and not covid - it would be pretty astounding to get that many negative lft tests and still have it. If they have a pcr and are both clear - would you consider the vaccine for him ?

I know I’m wrong and I am going to get him vaccinated but I am so worried about him

rainbow
29-12-21, 08:26
Also I am on a forum called Mumsnet and there are so many people on there that have had multiple negative lft’s but got a positive on a pcr so it is possible

Lencoboy
29-12-21, 08:52
Also I am on a forum called Mumsnet and there are so many people on there that have had multiple negative lft’s but got a positive on a pcr so it is possible

Whilst it's still obviously your choice to be a member of Mumsnet, be aware that there can be some rather dubious posts on there at times, as I suppose there can be on pretty much any other forum, including even this one, on occasions.

Also, the term 'multiple' can be vague, as it could still mean as little as just 2 in some cases.

And Carys is anecdotally correct in the sense that Covid now, for the vast majority, doesn't seem to be quite the same illness that it was 2 years ago or even 1 year ago, or still even as recently as 6 months ago. Last January and early February, for instance, people were dying of Covid in the thousands on a daily basis, whereas now it only seems to be less than 200 per day on average.

elizabethalice
29-12-21, 11:16
Another thing to remember with LFTs is I think a lot of people don't do them properly. If your daughter is making sure she thoroughly swabs her nose (I read something the other day recommending doing throat swab too) and transferring it properly to the sample liquid by pushing the swab against the plastic container, its likely it will be correct. Especially if she has symptoms, I'd say it's very likely to just be a cold.

Gary A
29-12-21, 11:54
I’ve had two vaccine doses and I tested positive a few days ago. I had a mild headache for a few hours and a few bouts of sneezing but other than that it’s been a walk in the park.

The Omicron variant is milder, the evidence of that is now far more than anecdotal. So, even if your son or daughter do have Covid, they’ll have a milder variant of it. They’re also in an age group that is virtually never seriously affected.

Relax, they’ll be fine.

rainbow
29-12-21, 13:10
I’ve had two vaccine doses and I tested positive a few days ago. I had a mild headache for a few hours and a few bouts of sneezing but other than that it’s been a walk in the park.

The Omicron variant is milder, the evidence of that is now far more than anecdotal. So, even if your son or daughter do have Covid, they’ll have a milder variant of it. They’re also in an age group that is virtually never seriously affected.

Relax, they’ll be fine.

My main worry is that my son hasn’t had the vaccine due to my hesitance over the risks to young males of heart inflammation. I have a sore throat today so think I’m coming down with whatever it is. Have booked pcr for tomorrow. Having terrifying thoughts about my son

Lencoboy
29-12-21, 13:41
My main worry is that my son hasn’t had the vaccine due to my hesitance over the risks to young males of heart inflammation.

Whilst I don't mean to belittle you in any way, I haven't read any reports about young males having such conditions following jabs for several months now.

Also, wasn't that mainly an issue with the OAZ vaccine that was eventually resolved through some kind of reformulation?

rainbow
29-12-21, 14:25
Whilst I don't mean to belittle you in any way, I haven't read any reports about young males having such conditions following jabs for several months now.

Also, wasn't that mainly an issue with the OAZ vaccine that was eventually resolved through some kind of reformulation?

No it’s definitely after the Pfizer vaccine, more so after the second one from what I have read recently

Carys
29-12-21, 14:56
Yeah, I said that on this thread to you -

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?246768-Worried-about-heart-inflammation-after-vaccine

rainbow
29-12-21, 15:25
Yeah, I said that on this thread to you -

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?246768-Worried-about-heart-inflammation-after-vaccine

I know you did, I was replying to Gary

Lencoboy
29-12-21, 16:51
No it’s definitely after the Pfizer vaccine, more so after the second one from what I have read recently

Well the media (most notably the BBC) haven't really elaborated on it.