PDA

View Full Version : Husband tested positive, I'm negative

Iwant2bhealthy
29-12-21, 21:21
My husband tested positive today (PCR test), while I remain negative. Not sure how it's possible... Of course as soon as I saw the result of his test I immediately started to feel a little out of breath. I blame it on stress and my asthma, but the thought is there.
To be honest I think I caught it too (especially since we did kiss yesterday and today) but the incubation period is a bit longer for me.

My husband is 40, normal weight and otherwise healthy, vaccinated 2xPfizer. I'm 37, overweight (but I recently lost 15 kg due to some stomach issue), vaccinated 2xAZ and I have asthma. My husbands symptoms are very mild so far (sore throat, stuffed nose) so I'm not too worried about him, but due to my still high BMI I'm a little worried about myself.
My fears are also rooted in the fact that I got very sick in 2020 and I'm pretty sure it was corona although they didn't test for it here back then. I had a very high fever and a hard time breathing. It took me 8 weeks to get well again and I'm worried this could come back... To sum up: I am looking for some reassurance and advice from people who had corona recently...

I dont know if I should really lock myself and my husband in separate rooms?
Should I try to avoid catching it or is it pointless by now?
Is there anything I can do?

Catkins
30-12-21, 06:33
I had it just before Christmas. I had a sore throat for a couple of days, felt a little bit grotty and had a cough - which I still have, but this can last for a while apparently.

Honestly, it was far easier than I thought it would be. I'm double jabbed and I had my booster in October so I'm not sure if it was because I was vaccinated or if it's much milder than it initially was or a combination of both. But it does seem to be a lot milder for people these days.

With regards to isolation, there were three of us in the house, with only one bathroom, which made things a bit difficult. I ended up sleeping on the sofa for a bit and went back into the marital bed after the (now) 7 day isolation. The only way we could make things work for us was with me wearing a mask all the time, frequently washing/gelling hands and trying to stay out of everyone's way.

So far my husband is OK. My son who was visiting in the week leading up to Christmas and went home on Monday tested positive on a lateral flow test yesterday. Honestly, it would have been a miracle if he hadn't got it, he lives in London, 2 of his flatmates have had it in the past couple of weeks, I had it and while home he spent a lot of time catching up with his friends and even had a night out in Newcastle involving many pubs and a night club.

So far all indications are that people aren't getting as ill with it this time round, which I'm hoping will be the case for my son.

Anyway I hope that has been of some help.

Iwant2bhealthy
30-12-21, 14:19
Thank you Catkins! I always appreciate your responses.

My husbands symptoms are similar to yours. He's got a sore throat and a dry cough. He had a fever last night and was sweating profusely through the night (I did too so maybe it was the heating at home?), but said that he felt much better in the morning.

We spent the holidays with our families. I was a bit concerned about the risk of infection but everybody tested negative after we told them of our issues, so it's not the family Christmas that dragged the covid to us. The infection happened when my husband went to see a childhood friend on Sunday, and on Tuesday the guy texted that he was positive. :(

I took my PCR test yesterday, but I had no symptoms and it came back clear. This morning I started to feel cold so I took a hot shower which helped a little. Throughout the morning and early noon I felt that my breathing is quite shallow and that I am having some chest pain and pressure on the left side. After a few hours those symptoms lessened, and I even forgot that my breathing wasn't too good when I was on the phone with a customer.

Now I question whether I could just forget the isolation and go downstairs to sit with my husband. After all it does look like we both have it. I even called the GP who told me that I should get tested again before I decide that. It's a pity because being able to cuddle with my husband would surely make me feel better...

Catkins
30-12-21, 14:33
I did miss cuddles from my husband, fortunately the dog had me covered on that 😁

Iwant2bhealthy
30-12-21, 14:35
I did miss cuddles from my husband, fortunately the dog had me covered on that [emoji16]Ah, that's cute and I'm jealous! :) Both my dogs are currently also giving all their love to my husband so I can only hug a pillow atm... [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Catkins
30-12-21, 17:26
Ah, that's cute and I'm jealous! :) Both my dogs are currently also giving all their love to my husband so I can only hug a pillow atm... [emoji24]

That seems terribly unfair - get treats! I think my dog favours me mostly because I give her more treats.

Iwant2bhealthy
30-12-21, 17:41
Snacks help for sure! Both my dogs would make terrible public servants as they are very easily bribed. I would go as far as to say that their favorite person is whoever is currently holding snacks in his or hers hand... [emoji16]

Magic
30-12-21, 18:43
My daughter has covid, Started about 26th Dec. She has been pretty unwell, but feeling better each day her husband and their daughter have not had it They using the same bathroom. So hope all goes well:shrug:

Iwant2bhealthy
30-12-21, 20:34
Thabks for sharing Magic. I'm glad your daughter is doing ok. I hope she will recover completely soon.

I did an antigen test this evening and it's also negative. I don't understand how is this even possible. Me and my husband also share a bathroom, and I still eat downstairs, and until the result of his test came in yesterday evening I was spending time with him like I normally would.

Iwant2bhealthy
31-12-21, 10:58
I'm feeling much worse today the breathlessness is still there, and now I also have a throat and nose pain and muscle pain in my legs and my back. I also feel very cold.
I booked another PCR test just so I can stop self isolating and can sit down next to my husband. He's feeling better every day, but nights get more difficult.

Iwant2bhealthy
31-12-21, 14:11
Headache and fever. I dont need the test to tell me its corona. This sucks. My husband is feeling better which was to be expected. I am now worried this will be as bad as it was in the beginning of 2020.

Iwant2bhealthy
31-12-21, 14:12
So unfair.

Catkins
31-12-21, 18:18
Still have a PCR to confirm it?

Plus if you have got it now, you won't have to hide away from him. You'll feel much better being able to be with him, have a cuddle and not be so restricted in your movements round the house.

In all likelihood your symptoms will be mild and will pass quickly.

Iwant2bhealthy
31-12-21, 18:26
Thank you Catkins, I really hope this time it will be better. I took the PCR this morning. I should have the results within 24-48 hours, but last time I got them in the evening of the day of the test.

I feel tired and my head is killing me even though I took 5 paracetamols. :(

Iwant2bhealthy
31-12-21, 18:27
I cant wait to see a result! I just want to sit next to my husband and get some support from him. :(

Iwant2bhealthy
01-01-22, 10:32
My PCR test of yesterday came back positive. So I could at least sleep in one bed with my husband.

Last night was difficult. I had a fever and the headache was killing me despite the paracetamol. I barely had the energy to go to the bathroom. Around 5 AM my fever went down, and I started to feel better. My headache is gone too! :)

Catkins
01-01-22, 17:01
That's really good. Just keep taking it easy.

Iwant2bhealthy
03-01-22, 09:09
Thank you Catkins!

My nose is still completely stuffed and I started to have a wet cough where I cough out yellow phlegm (sorry for the graphic detail). In my case this often mean that the infection went from viral to bacterial.
I called the GP and I am looking forward to hearing back from them this afternoon.

My husband is feeling great. Besides an occasional cough and a running nose all his other symptoms are gone by now.

Catkins
03-01-22, 12:27
My husband thinks I should ring my GP tomorrow when they open back up because I'm still coughing. It doesn't feel like a deep cough if that makes sense, no discomfort in my chest and just the very occasional coughing something up.

I just know that all I'll be told is that I've had Covid and it takes a few weeks to pass. So I can't really see the value in doing it. But, I'll do it to please him.

Iwant2bhealthy
04-01-22, 08:39
Did you go to your GP Catkins? I had a phone call with a student doctor in training, and she wasn't very helpful. By now I think I will probably need at least a corticosteroid nose spray, but she told me to wait 1 more week. :/

I have a feeling that this is going in the direction of bronchitis, but I dont yet hear the wheezing and crepitations that usually come with it. The feeling of heat in my chest is there though, and the phlegm (most likely from my nose) too. I guess I will have to wait a little and maybe request a call with my regular GP in a few days. It would be good if the phlegm bacteria died before they had a chance to colonise my lungs.

All in all I feel quite ok today. Symptoms from this morning include: stuffed nose, coughing out phlegm, feeling cold, heat in the chest.

Catkins
04-01-22, 17:39
Well because I've been coughing pretty steadily since October and then it got a lot worse with Covid my GP said he'd refer me for a chest x-ray just to be on the safe side. He said it could take up to a week.

I actually don't think I've got anything wrong and do feel like I'm wasting their time, but I'm happy to do it to reassure my husband (my son also agrees).

I think that my main problem is that I smoke and need to stop doing that. I had switched to vaping pretty much solely prior the pandemic and then got a more stressed and started smoking again.

Requesting a call from your normal GP might be a good idea. If they know you've had it before and know the signs they should be understanding.

Iwant2bhealthy
05-01-22, 18:39
Smoking could very well be the cause of your cough, and a chest x-ray every few years is a good idea anyway.
I think I read somewhere that a French scientist claimed that people who smoke are less prone to covid, so there seems to be at least one benefit of it... ;)

Today I felt better than yesterday. I am still tired but I don't feel as broken. My sinuses opened, and I can breath easier. I also realised that my sense of taste and smell are almost gone. It doesn’t bother me too much though. I just wonder... In order to leave the quarantine I will need to have no symptoms for 24 hours. I wonder if that includes the loss of sense of smell?

Lencoboy
05-01-22, 18:56
Smoking could very well be the cause of your cough, and a chest x-ray every few years is a good idea anyway.
I think I read somewhere that a French scientist claimed that people who smoke are less prone to covid, so there seems to be at least one benefit of it... ;)

Today I felt better than yesterday. I am still tired but I don't feel as broken. My sinuses opened, and I can breath easier. I also realised that my sense of taste and smell are almost gone. It doesn’t bother me too much though. I just wonder... In order to leave the quarantine I will need to have no symptoms for 24 hours. I wonder if that includes the loss of sense of smell?

I think the 'smokers are less prone to Covid' was actually a myth from earlier in the pandemic that was eventually disproven, but I bet the likes of FOREST revelled in said speculation at the time, (falsely) assuming victory and justice for smokers at long last!

Not intending to scare or have digs at Catkins though.

Catkins
05-01-22, 21:44
None taken Lenco 😁.

X-ray appointment came through for Monday. I can't remember ever having had an x-ray on anything other than my mouth. I shall treat it as an adventure!

Iwant2bhealthy
05-01-22, 22:00
Thanks for getting my facts straight Lenco!

Catkins, I had 2 chest x-rays in my life. It was 20 years ago and it used to be a freezing experience that required pressing your chest against a cold, cold plate. I sure hope that now someone came up with the idea to warm that plate up! :D

Catkins
06-01-22, 06:20
I assume I'll have to take my underwire bra off? I'll maybe wear a bralet thing instead that day. No bra isn't a good look at 54, but I guess I can cope with swinging free for one day.

Iwant2bhealthy
06-01-22, 07:12
When I had mine it was a topless activity. Made me feel like I'm at a Spanish beach, but in January. ;)

Iwant2bhealthy
06-01-22, 07:17
Symptoms of this morning: none.
My nose and sinuses are open by now, and if anything they feel a little dry. I feel good, so if it continues I will be able to leave the quarantine tomorrow!

Catkins
06-01-22, 17:35
Symptoms of this morning: none.
My nose and sinuses are open by now, and if anything they feel a little dry. I feel good, so if it continues I will be able to leave the quarantine tomorrow!

That's brilliant news!

Iwant2bhealthy
07-01-22, 16:41
I stayed at home today because I have still been coughing up some phlegm. I dont sneeze, my sinuses are open but in the morning I have to clear my throat, and get rid of some phlegm. I'm unsure wherter this counts as symptoms of corona or if it's really ok for me to leave the house. I would love to go out and get some groceries but Im afraid I might endanger someone who is unvaccinated or has a weakened immune system...

pulisa
07-01-22, 17:58
Thanks for getting my facts straight Lenco!

Catkins, I had 2 chest x-rays in my life. It was 20 years ago and it used to be a freezing experience that required pressing your chest against a cold, cold plate. I sure hope that now someone came up with the idea to warm that plate up! :D

I had pleurisy 4 years ago followed by a series of chest x-rays. The plate was still pretty cold then so best be prepared, Catkins! It's a relatively quick procedure though.

pulisa
07-01-22, 18:01
I stayed at home today because I have still been coughing up some phlegm. I dont sneeze, my sinuses are open but in the morning I have to clear my throat, and get rid of some phlegm. I'm unsure wherter this counts as symptoms of corona or if it's really ok for me to leave the house. I would love to go out and get some groceries but Im afraid I might endanger someone who is unvaccinated or has a weakened immune system...

Can you test yourself just before you plan to go out tomorrow? I would have thought the phlegm was just normal "residue" after upper respiratory tract infection of any kind?

Iwant2bhealthy
08-01-22, 17:29
I don't think I can. I was told not to go for another PCR by the employee of the centre for infectious disease control who called me to ask about my contacts after the positove test result. Apparently 8 weeks after the infection I can still test positive despite the fact that the virus is no longer active. This would trigger another 7 days quarantine, and would requite the government to contact me again and spend theur time on someone who isn't ill anymore.

pulisa
08-01-22, 17:54
I meant a lateral flow test but these may not be accessible or accepted where you are?

Iwant2bhealthy
08-01-22, 18:06
Wouldnt the same be applicable for an LFT test?

pulisa
08-01-22, 19:50
Here you can test daily with LFTs after the quarantine period and 2 negative tests in a row (days 6 and 7) mean you are no longer infectious.

Iwant2bhealthy
08-01-22, 19:51
Ok. This would mean yhat the LFT tests only catch the actove virus then? I need to do some research on it.

Alice1990
08-01-22, 20:29
I’m having a dilemma with this too. I was still positive on day 6, so didn’t bother to test again until last night and stuck to 10 days isolation. I’m on day 10 today. However my LFT was still VERY faint positive last night, for a good 10 mins it was reading a negative result but then a faint like did appear :(.

Over here guidance says that you can leave day 10 as long as you don’t still have any of the more severe symptoms ( fever) and feel well l, but because I still worry about being contagious, it didn’t give me that much relief.

pulisa
08-01-22, 20:40
I'd stay put for as long as you feel you should, Alice. Wait for 2 consecutive strong negative LFTs?

Alice1990
08-01-22, 21:08
Yes probably should do this Pulisa. Very fed up at this point but I might test again tomorrow and see what happens then

Iwant2bhealthy
16-01-22, 20:51
So I am feeling much better and after checking the rules I found out that it's safe for me to end the quarantine. It is a relief to go for a walk and to go do my own shopping.

My sinuses feel blocked on occasion, and I do have some post nasal drip which results in a morning cough, but I see it more as a sign of clearing out after the infection than an active viral infection going on. The only new symptoms I noticed is an occasional phantom smell. A few times a day I smell cigarette smoke where there isn't any (my household is cigarette free). I hope this will go away soon too.

Iwant2bhealthy
06-02-22, 23:14
Update after almost a month. The phantom smells are gone now. I hope this is permanent. I have a small fear that the relief might be caused by the fact that I caught a little head cold this week, so my nose is stuck yet again. I will update this thread once my cold goes away.