PDA

View Full Version : Clogged up ear for 4 days

BrokenGirl
02-01-22, 00:01
Can anyone help me out with this? About 4 or 5 days ago my left ear suddenly became clogged. Sometimes there's a full feeling in it and my hearing is very bad in that ear now.
I was thinking it could be ear wax so I got some drops in the chemist. I've been putting them in for 4 days now and there's absolutely no improvement. It's a horrible feeling, so annoying.
At times my right ear feels a bit weird and I don't know if something is up with that one too or if it's because my left ear is so deaf and my right ear is doing all the work.
The instructions on the drops say to use them for 3 days. It's been 4 days now and nothing. I'm worried it might be something other than wax. There's no pain with it, just constant pressure and fullness and loss of hearing.
Has anyone had this go on for longer than 4 days?

Bumbum0110
02-01-22, 10:26
I get this too from time to time. An antihistamine usually works to dry up extra mucus which causes the ears to have the "full" feeling. It's really not a big deal && I've had it last for 2 weeks before!

nomorepanic
02-01-22, 12:08
I went to see the nurse at the GP surgery back in November and she said I had wax in both ears and it would need removing.

I had ear wax removal on 15th December as I thought this was causing my ear pain and having to constantly pop the ears and I get a popping crackling sound.

That made no difference so I am talking to a doctor on 10th Jan to discuss what else it could be.

When I had the same thing last August 2020, the oil did nothing and I had to have the wax removed then as well.

So yes I have had this for about 2 months.

Twisted-Melody
02-01-22, 17:01
I’ve had this a few times. Once was ear wax which got removed, the other was an infection which cleared up with antibiotics. Go see a doctor if it doesn’t clear up.

Allochka
02-01-22, 21:45
Hello,
I had it several years ago, lasted more than a week until I got antibiotics. And my mom having it now, for couple of weeks already. Her ENT refuses to prescribe antibiotics, uses some other pills and states clogged ear can last up to month…
The best you could do now is visit the doctor. Not because it is smth serious, but because you most probably won’t get rid of clogged ear without medical help so soon

BrokenGirl
03-01-22, 00:49
Thanks for all the replies and advice.
It's still very clogged, no improvement at all after 5 days of using the drops.
I think at this stage I'll have to go to the doctor and see what they say. As tomorrow is a bank holiday I can't ring until Tuesday and I'd say I'll be very lucky to be seen on Tuesday.
I'll keep taking the drops until I see the doctor but I hope they aren't doing more harm than good in case it isn't wax that's causing it.

nomorepanic
03-01-22, 13:16
They won't do you any harm.

Just remember that the GP surgery won't do wax removal now unless they still do in Ireland.

BrokenGirl
04-01-22, 22:30
Went to the doctor today and she said my ear was completely blocked with wax. She removed it for me there and then and it's perfect since - so nice to be able to hear again :)

Nicola - why won't GPs remove wax in the UK? Is this a relatively new thing? Seems a bit strange, and a bit annoying too if a doctor tells you you've wax in your ear but they can't remove it :huh:

nomorepanic
05-01-22, 12:54
Great news then.

We have to pay now as it is not free on the NHS. It cost me £55 at Specsavers.