PDA

View Full Version : Fear of developing drug allergy

Duchesskitty
05-01-22, 18:40
Hi. I’ve never had an allergic reaction to penicillin before but I saw an itchy lump on my arm after taking it (2 hours later) and now I’m worried this is a sign I’m getting anaphylaxis. What should I do?

NotDeadYet
06-01-22, 01:11
Is your throat swelling up to where you can’t breathe?

spectrum123
06-01-22, 17:50
I have a penicillin allergy (amoxicillin). It starts with red spots around the sweat points/folds (elbows & knees etc), these radiate out from there rapidly, covering me head to toe in around 2-3 hours. I get no ill effects apart from the spots.

The cure... hay fever tablets. The spots get bigger until they are slightly bigger than a 2p coin and then the centres go back to normal skin leaving red rings. These radiate out and fade. The whole thing lasts 8 hours from taking the tablet I'm allergic to.

That's what happens in the majority of allergic reactions to antibiotics. It's a histamine reaction, but much milder than hay fever generally. So mild for me, I've even gone to the pub during a reaction after I've taken the antihistamine, knowing by last orders it will be gone.

AnxietySufferer
07-01-22, 21:22
If you had an allergic reaction you would know about it. I hope you feel better soon!!!