PDA

View Full Version : My Debut post

Mike26uk
12-02-05, 17:02
Hi All,
I just became a member today and this is my virgin post so please be gentle with me.

My name is Mike, i'm 26 years old and live near Manchester. First began having problems with Panic at the age of 17 where the pressure of exams brought on my anxiety and forced me to drop out of college. For a while I became almost house bound because I started to fee sick in public places. Got some medical help and slowly got back into the swing of things. Returned to college and finally went onto uni.

Anyway, things went okay until about a year ago when I found myself in a stressful job and my wonderful anxiety problems returned with interest. Was forced to resign and found myself lacking the confidence to return to work. (oh yeah, suffered from all the associated depression etc that comes with it. Brill!). Spent all of last year fighting the same old problems and slowly things have started to improve again. I am now confident enough to start looking for part-time work but the thought still scares me. I know from personal experience twice, that when you really do hit rock bottom, things can only get better and eventually do.

Strangely I'd never thought about looking online for info about my probs. Guess I assumed I was the only one in the world suffering from it. Found this website and had a hell of a shock. Keep reading through the stories and going 'hey, that's how i feel!'

Hope to see some of you in the chatroom later on. for now I'm off searching the forums. soo much information!!!

no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

Meg
12-02-05, 17:09
Hi Mike

Welcome- really pleased you found us.

Thats exactly why Nicola set it up to start with as she thought she was the only one and then one more joined and another and then there were thousands plus all the guests that read the forum and website but do not register.

They didn't get to this site by googling in 'Bored on Saturday'.

Glad you can relate to lots of it. Hopefully you can also learn some and help yourself a lot more.

Do shout if we can help with anything particular.

This is probably the most general and generic place to start
First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)
Take care

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
12-02-05, 17:10
Hi Mike

Welcome aboard - good to see you here.

Try not to get overwhelmed by the forum - there are a lot of posts and a lot of info to digest so just take your time.

With regard to work then part-time is a good idea. It will give you chance to get slowly back into things and build your confidence again.

Have you been offered any counselling such as CBT or you could look into doing the "No Panic" telephone recovery course - that is very good too.

Now you have found us you will realise that there are a lot of ordinary/normal people out there that struggle and you won't feel so alone so welcome to our community.

Hope to hear more from you.

Nicola

mojo5
12-02-05, 17:10
Hi Mike

Welcome aboard.

You in the right place !!
You are amongst freinds who, I know from experience, will be keen to help you with your anxiety.
I'll be popping in to the chatroom later - so maybe catch up with you then.

Regards.
Mo.

FAN
12-02-05, 17:14
hi hope you find the site useful im sure you will

fan x

jude
12-02-05, 17:21
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site, Im glad you found us.
Isnt it a relief to find out you are not alone in this illness. The forum has helped me to feel calmer and is still my lifeline every single day.
I know it will be a great help to you too.

Jude x

clickaway
12-02-05, 18:26
Hi Mike,

Good to have you aboard.

I could relate to a number of things in your story - the anxiety of exams; the giving up of work; feeling you are the only one etc.

But you're right, things DO get better and we have both tasted that, going down in the meantime is just part of it. I suppose its part of the overall recovery process.

I've only been on here a week, but have got a lot of reassurance - the people behind this site do a great job.

You sound very upbeat, and that's no bad thing.

Cheers,

Ray

JPF
12-02-05, 18:36
Hi Mike

Welcome aboard! Just to add to what you've said and everyone else too - this is a great place, full of excellent and supportive people who understand how you feel. It was a revelation to me too, I thought no-one else could possibly have the weird panicked thoughts that I did. It's really helped me to know I'm not alone and the people here are fantastic and the amount of useful, practical information here is also exceptional.

You've got a great attitude and I'm sure finding this place will make as much difference to you as it has for me (and countless others too) Keep up the good work, hang on in there and hope to see you in the forums and the chat room (make sure it's the Bravenet chat not the Dreamchat!)

Good luck and good health

J

Karen
12-02-05, 18:36
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site. You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

maxine
12-02-05, 20:09
Hiya Mike,
Welcome to the site, as said above we are a nice bunch full of helpful tips and advice (all apart from Mojo that is:D LOL)

We met briefly last night, all the chatroomers where off to bed it was a unreasonable hour so we never got a chance to say a proper welcome if you want to chat we are usually in there about 9ish.
Tho be warned if you not in a good mood chances are we will attempt to cheer you up, the topic of conversation varies wildly!

Hope to see you later in chat.

Take care
Maxine

mico
13-02-05, 13:37
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site

mico

bluebottle
13-02-05, 14:34
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site, and rest assured that many of us share your experience regarding college and work etc.

Don't worry, you will get better and you have lots of support on tap here. :)

Regards,

Blue
--
Take little steps

jill
13-02-05, 19:22
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site.

LOVE JILLXX

All problems have a begining and an end!

Mike26uk
14-02-05, 00:53
Thankyou so much for the supportive posts. It really is appreciated:D. It was great to get to meet some of you in the chatroom too (nic, maxine, banana et al). You are such a friendly bunch.

Just to fill in some more detail. I have been receiving councelling involving CBT for about 6 months and have found the results patchy although I would say that it has played a part in me feeling a little better of late. Also on seroxat and beta blockers.

no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

Lottie32
14-02-05, 19:40
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site.

I have been a member since September 2003, and am happy to say that I have been becoming a very infrequent visitor to the site due to feeling dramatically better!!!

My time is now spent being busy trying to rebuild my life, I often just dont' have the time to log on!

Your story is so similar to mine, I thought I'd drop a line. Exactly the same things happened in a very similar time frame to yours - although I did pass my A's I wimped out of uni, and never tried to return!

Being an experienced sufferer of panic, anxiety, depression, minor OCD, etc etc, and now getting Soooooo much better, I am qualified to say how helpful this site actually is.

I have had CBT for two years, am on medication (although I didn't start taking it till half way through my CBT) and have done lots of work on lifestyle, exercise etc etc, using this site (and particularly Meg and Nic) for advice. It really has made a huge difference.

I would be lying if I said it was easy - it has been very tough. I too didn't really think that CBT had done much - but two years ago, I never went out. Now I am rediscovering my social life, and it's costing me a fortune. (Three hundred plus pounds to see Keane and the Darkness is going some - particularly as they were playing less than 20 miles from home!!!! But that's another story)

The most important thing I have learnt are the life skills to take control of my anxiety, rather than my anxiety controlling me. I really do feel now that if and when my anxiety/panic returns, I will be able to nip it in the bud, and prevent it from taking over my life again.

have and open mind, and try anything that you think may help - however, don't be despondent if it doesn't help you. Having read loads of posts over the years, I have discovered that what may help one person can be of no use whatsoever to others. It doesn't mean that you are a failure, or that you will not get better, just that it wasn't the right treatment for you.

Always remember that there a no quick fixes, recovery is hard work, BUT very definitely achievable.

Very best of luck!

Best wishes

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

random_panda
14-02-05, 20:09
Hi mike

Welcome to the site, it's the right place to be! Lots of helpful advice, and nice people.

I'm also unemployed at the mo, it's a right bunch of laughs! But I'm trying to stay positive. the right job is out there somewhere!

Anyways take care!

Katie x

put things in perspective, take a balanced view, when u start to count your troubles, count your blessings too.

sal
14-02-05, 22:40
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site, hope you get all the support you need on here.

I know how you feel thinking how you feel you are the only one but hope by joining this site you realise you are by no way alone mate.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx