PDA

View Full Version : practising what i preach - WHOOO YEAH!!!

PUGLETMUM
19-11-07, 16:50
:D hi all,

this is for everyone but i think it is most relevant to anybody who is agoraphobic, or who is becoming that way. im going to try and keep it as short as possible?!?!mainly im writing to inspire anyone who thinks they will never get to a better place - i dont say get back to where you were, because i think if youve been agorophobic you will never be who you were - you will be better than you were!!!!:yesyes:

today, after 7 years depending on my husband,and sometimes on my mother-in-law, i took the first proper step to my future - i went shopping in my town alone for the first time in 8 years!!!!!i felt yukky most of the time (anxiety and pms and a bit of sinus trouble to boot!),but ive been training myself for this for years and years without realising it!!!:wacko:

ive never been housbound,but i couldnt go into shops alone,for fear of panicking at tills or just panicking full stop, and also the habit to not be alone had become so strong(but still only a habit,and they CAN be broken),but ive slowly weaned myself off this dependance on my husband,because i dont feel i will have a future if i cant be independant(that is personal to me, im not suggesting anyone else feels this way), well i will hae a future but not the one i want.

right so right back in the day when this was starting i would go into shops and feel as though i would fall over all of the time, ive had the rushes at the tills, and ive spent years looking over my shoulder to check where husband was:blush: so ive had all the symptoms everyone else has,but very rarely have i run!!! okay so ive not run, but ive not been on my own, so that was my limit, doing the things i could but never stretching myself to go further. but i realise now that although i wasnt really stretching myself, i was still uncomfortable but doing it anyway.

id had a few little successes over the years but it usually came to nothing:shrug: so my advice is to feel the fear and do it anyway, but only in 45 minute steps and also to do it in steps - not to try to run before you can walk, but you must do it often - everyday:ohmy: yes everyday, because otherwise you slip back into living with agoro,instead of trying to beat it.btw,you cant expect to not feel anxious- you will but my book says that is great because that is the sign your doing the right thing - if your not anxious then its probably something you can do, and so therfore it is no challenge to you, you dont feel anxious so your not moving out of your comfort zone. and when you do feel anxious instead of trying to get rid of it you have to encourage it for a long time, so you can work out the best way to support yourself, for me today that was to remind myself of all of my options and to keep encouraging myself - i could write a list as long as my arm of the situations i will still avoid, but im going to tackle them now one at a time, and eventually i will feel confident that i can live my life AND feel anxious,this is the key as life events will always create stress which can always create anxiety, but i know you can function and feel anxious, it doesnt have to be the end of your life:yesyes:

honeybee
19-11-07, 17:10
what a great post!!! it sounds like im just like you. i can go out with my fella and be fine. but over the last 3 years i have become an expert at 'avoidance'. like you, i can see its just a habit and today i also went out on my own. you're right it is a habit - it can be broken - and i'm with you - it will be broken!!! yay! :yesyes:

groovygranny
19-11-07, 19:02
Hi Emma,

I don't suffer from agrophobia but can sure appreciate and enjoy your success - it's a great achievement!

Thanks for sharing it with us all!

http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020165.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10)

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

honeybee3939
19-11-07, 19:07
Aww Emma

So pleased for you hun, i remember myself the first time i went shopping on my own after years of suffering Agorophobia, its a feeling of joy a will never forget so can understand how pleased you must be with yourself!:yesyes: :yesyes:

Onwards and upwards for you from now on hun...WELL DONE :yesyes: :yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

nomorepanic
19-11-07, 19:15
Emmas

What lovely news to read so well done to you :yesyes: :yesyes:

I think a lot of us have been there so know how hard it is to push and push yourself but we know we have to and you are proof that it does work well.

Well done!:hugs:

dinkydoo
19-11-07, 19:58
WOW!!!! What an achievement. Well done to you!!!! Excellent news.

happyone
19-11-07, 20:14
Well done to you:yesyes:

Happyone
xx

mirry
19-11-07, 21:18
well done Emmas ,

keep doing it and dont stop doing it :yesyes:

I think that is the key :winks: .

xxx

Southern_Belle
20-11-07, 02:55
Great job Emma. I think the small steps turn into bigger steps and so on... You have made huge progress and should be very proud. A great story to read.

Hugs,

Laura

PUGLETMUM
20-11-07, 10:42
:yesyes: :D :hugs: :winks: THANKS GUYS,I SHALL KEEP GOING - NEXT BIG THING - DOING A COLLEGE COURSE WITH TEN HOURS PLACEMENT:ohmy: HOPE I WILL BE POSTING ABOUT THAT IN THE SAME PLACE VERY SOON:blush: :hugs: HUGS TO ALLXXXXXXXXXXXX

mirry
20-11-07, 14:46
theres no stopping you now ,lol . WELL DONE :yesyes: .

Nibbles
20-11-07, 17:21
:yesyes: Well done Emmas :yesyes:

That's a huge step forward and you should feel very proud. You mentioned some really interesting thoughts too so thanks for sharing. :)

Take care,

Mike :)

AnxAndy
20-11-07, 19:41
Emmas,
Well done you! You must be feeling very proud, and so you should. Its no mean feat coping how you have. Just be aware now that should any lingering doubts re-occur you know in your heart that you can do it and you can beat it because you have proved it to yourself and others.... cling to that momment, cherish it and move onward and upwards! Nice one girl!

A x