PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being scrutinised

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 16:11
Over the past couple of days I have been feeling a bit ropey with a funny head, intermittent earache and a slight runny nose. I did a LFT earlier today but tested negative, plus my temperature is lower than 37.0C, let alone 37.8C, which is the start of the 'danger zone', and I can still taste and smell perfectly.

I rang up my day centre about 30 minutes ago to tell them I wouldn't be going in tomorrow due to feeling a bit ropey with the above symptoms, and they immediately told me to get a PCR test ASAP, regardless of my negative LFT, and they told me to keep them posted over the coming days.

Of course, I will take a PCR test if absolutely necessary, if my symptoms happen to deteriorate or not start to improve any time soon, but what if I'm completely OK by tomorrow or after and don't feel that going to such lengths with PCR tests and all the associated rigmaroles are warranted?

I feel as though I'm now being scrutinised and my day centre staff have suddenly become 'social workers-in-disguise', and that this could open a serious can of worms if not followed through properly.

I also fear being treated like a leper over all this, especially if I have actually got Covid.

Scass
31-01-22, 16:44
It’s a tough one, but their job is ultimately to protect the users at the day centre, as well as themselves so that can continue to offer the services.

You don’t have to get a PCR test, you may not even be able to book one as you rightly say, you don’t have the “right” symptoms. And if you do feel better tomorrow then that’s what you can tell them. You don’t have to feel uncomfortable doing this because you are sticking to the guidelines.

However, if you do feel poorly still tomorrow then you may as well get one if you can. Have you done one before? Do you have any concerns about doing one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 16:56
It’s a tough one, but their job is ultimately to protect the users at the day centre, as well as themselves so that can continue to offer the services.

You don’t have to get a PCR test, you may not even be able to book one as you rightly say, you don’t have the “right” symptoms. And if you do feel better tomorrow then that’s what you can tell them. You don’t have to feel uncomfortable doing this because you are sticking to the guidelines.

However, if you do feel poorly still tomorrow then you may as well get one if you can. Have you done one before? Do you have any concerns about doing one?

No I haven't had a PCR test before.

It's the fear of the staff checking up on me to see if I have had a PCR test and if I haven't they might take it upon themselves to get Social Services involved, and my dad could inadvertently end up being wrongly accused of neglecting me.

Little wonder my dad has always been mistrustful of day centres, social workers and the authorities in general.

Yet social workers and the authorities in general still all too often fail to get to grips with many other issues facing children and vulnerable adults, especially those with LDs.

Pamplemousse
31-01-22, 17:21
No I haven't had a PCR test before.

They're very simple - you do a nose and throat swab like you do with LFTs but in this instance, you place the swab in a phial containing liquid and post it off for testing in the packaging provided. You may have noticed that some letterboxes locally are marked "NHS PRIORITY" - these are boxes for you to post your PCR test in and they get emptied on Saturdays and Sundays as well as through the week.

I did a PCR test a few weeks ago as I had a bad cold but lost my sense of taste/smell for a day: I ordered one online on a Sunday and it arrived first thing on the Monday. Unfortunately it was missing parts (!!) so I called 119, explained the situation and they send another out immediately.

That arrived on the Tuesday morning; I did the test, posted it that afternoon and you can track its progress. It arrived at the test centre at something like 6.35am on the Wednesday and by 8.30pm that day I had my result.

Catkins
31-01-22, 17:34
I've had lots of PCRs Lenco and it is very much like an LFT but as PM said you put the swab in a little phial and send that off. At least if you do it, it will put your mind and the day centres mind at rest.

Hey are probably just following protocol by telling you to get one. I wouldn't worry too much.

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 17:48
They're very simple - you do a nose and throat swab like you do with LFTs but in this instance, you place the swab in a phial containing liquid and post it off for testing in the packaging provided. You may have noticed that some letterboxes locally are marked "NHS PRIORITY" - these are boxes for you to post your PCR test in and they get emptied on Saturdays and Sundays as well as through the week.

I did a PCR test a few weeks ago as I had a bad cold but lost my sense of taste/smell for a day: I ordered one online on a Sunday and it arrived first thing on the Monday. Unfortunately it was missing parts (!!) so I called 119, explained the situation and they send another out immediately.

That arrived on the Tuesday morning; I did the test, posted it that afternoon and you can track its progress. It arrived at the test centre at something like 6.35am on the Wednesday and by 8.30pm that day I had my result.

Thanks very much for the reply PM.

I was previously under the impression that we had to go to special testing centres for PCR tests, which was my biggest concern. Not necessarily because of the actual tests per se, but more the fear of endless possible rigmaroles to go through, which I would have found extremely overwhelming and daunting.

But going by what you've said about your personal experience with PCR tests above, they sound easy-peasy, especially if done at home and like ordinary LFTs.

And like Scass said upthread, my day centre staff obviously are only acting in the best of interests of everyone, even if it may, on the face of it, seem a little overzealous at times, but better to be safe than sorry I guess, especially if the management of my day centre are scared witless of being sued even if they make the slightest cock-up re managing the Covid situation.

Pamplemousse
31-01-22, 18:04
Thanks very much for the reply PM.

I was previously under the impression that we had to go to special testing centres for PCR tests, which was my biggest concern. Not necessarily because of the actual tests per se, but more the fear of endless possible rigmaroles to go through, which I would have found extremely overwhelming and daunting.

But going by what you've said about your personal experience with PCR tests above, they sound easy-peasy, especially if done at home and like ordinary LFTs.

I know plenty of people who've been to these drive-in centres but given that it is so easy to get one through the post (and it is indeed advised for vulnerable people such as myself) and the test itself is, if anything, easier than an LFT then it should be absolutely no problem for you whatsoever :)

pulisa
31-01-22, 18:08
I don't blame your Day Centre for being cautious. Unlike some they have to follow very strict guidelines and not put any service users at risk.

As for social workers rushing out and imprisoning your dad for "neglect"..Well don't hold your breath on that one. My experience is that social workers are now extremely thin on the ground, quitting in their droves and allowing competent parents to fill the gap which should be provided by adult social care services.

I hope you feel ok in the morning but if you don't then just order a PCR test via the GOV.UK website?

Pamplemousse
31-01-22, 18:31
Likewise LB, I hope you feel better in the morning but I think you do qualify to get a free PCR test.

From https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

Getting a PCR test if you have no symptoms

You can also use this service if:

you’ve been asked to get a test by a local council or someone from NHS Test and Trace
a GP or other health professional has asked you to get a test

I think you can happily order one and take it, LB :)

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 18:36
FYI, my day centre is independent (not state-run), but they still have to follow certain protocols drawn up by the Dept of Health and Social Care at Staffs CC.

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 19:05
I don't blame your Day Centre for being cautious. Unlike some they have to follow very strict guidelines and not put any service users at risk.

As for social workers rushing out and imprisoning your dad for "neglect"..Well don't hold your breath on that one. My experience is that social workers are now extremely thin on the ground, quitting in their droves and allowing competent parents to fill the gap which should be provided by adult social care services.

I hope you feel ok in the morning but if you don't then just order a PCR test via the GOV.UK website?

Perhaps I have been overreacting a little, as my dad told me over tea time tonight that he thinks I'm reading into too many hypothetical scenarios over this current issue.

My dad also went on to say (like you have just implied) that SWs (for better or worse) nowadays don't have the same monopoly and powers that they used to have once upon a time. He also went on to say that in the past, especially back in the 70s and 80s there were a lot of clueless, poorly- trained 'jobsworth'-types and general corruption within said profession who would often just do things willy-nilly in haste, but nowadays they're vetted and scrutinised a lot more prior to officially being appointed their roles.

All in all, I think I'm just a bit oversensitive to a lot of things in general of late, which is a phase I tend to go through every now and then.

Pamplemousse
31-01-22, 19:22
FYI, my day centre is independent (not state-run), but they still have to follow certain protocols drawn up by the Dept of Health and Social Care at Staffs CC.

I'd say it falls under "asked by health care professional", LB.

Scass
31-01-22, 20:05
I definitely think you’re being being over sensitive here Lenco. No one is going to report anyone to social services.
I haven’t done a home PCR test, but I have been to a drive through and walk through one and I think the tests are the same. It’s not too bad really, just make sure you do it on an empty stomach, as sometimes the throat swab can make you retch.

As the others said, I hope you feel better in the morning.

Pamplemousse
31-01-22, 21:30
LB, here's a helpful video from NHS Inform on how to do a PCR test: much of this you'll be familiar with anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Kj8dD_X_M

Lencoboy
31-01-22, 23:35
I definitely think you’re being being over sensitive here Lenco. No one is going to report anyone to social services.
I haven’t done a home PCR test, but I have been to a drive through and walk through one and I think the tests are the same. It’s not too bad really, just make sure you do it on an empty stomach, as sometimes the throat swab can make you retch.

As the others said, I hope you feel better in the morning.

Having the swab down the throat without gagging does take a bit of practice, in which (touch wood) I've pretty much got there.

I bet it's a mega nightmare for serial emetophobics though!

Anyway, thanks for your words of encouragement, and I already feel quite a bit better now, especially after drinking a hot Lemsip tonight after tea.

Lencoboy
01-02-22, 10:52
Well I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know that I'm feeling stacks better today, and my dad doesn't think I need to go the whole hog and get a PCR test, although I might still do another LFT later on today just to be certain.

I will probably play it safe and not attend my day centre until next week, which will be more than the 5-day self-isolation period if (heaven forbid) I have actually had Covid, but it's also in order to keep the peace and to avoid ending up in any kind of bother, in which I would find humiliating in the extreme.