PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Liver Function Bloodtest if it gives "false" normal results?

DeepSigh
31-01-22, 17:25
Hi all - I have a massive phobia of cirrhosis of the liver - I avoid all things that can negatively affect the liver, however I did drink until a while ago. I go for liver function blood tests every six months and so far, always come back as normal.
Now, my question is, even though I should feel reassured I don't have liver damage by the normal results, when I read that you can get normal results despite having cirrhosis, this put me into an anxiety spiral.

I mentioned this to the last doctor I saw, and he looked confused and said he didn't know about these "false normal results" occurring, and seemed to think blood tests would give a very accurate picture of whether you have cirrhosis or not.

So my question is, what is the point of liver function blood tests if they can tell you you are completely healthy despite having cirrhosis? All these "normal" blood results I've had back don't necessarily mean I don't have cirrhosis?!

Please, any explanation would be so appreciated - it just makes no sense to me and makes all the "normal" results seem futile and not at all reassuring. I'd been relying on these to give me peace of mind. :( :( :(

Thanks for reading

Fishmanpa
31-01-22, 19:25
The question is: What is the point of Liver Function Bloodtest if it gives "false" normal results?"
Because, the answer is, for all intents and purposes, they are more than 90% accurate in helping detect liver issues. You're hyper-focusing on the 'what if's' here.

WorryRaptor
31-01-22, 19:50
Liver function tests are pretty accurate. While cirrhosis can sneak past them from time to time it's really not that common. Usually the tests will pick up something amiss.

I had liver inflammation recently, and have also have a non-alcoholic fatty liver which was caused by massive weight loss, then gain, then loss again. As a result, I joined a forum for people who have NAFLD, liver disease, and cirrhosis. There's a lot of questions about blood tests missing this or that, and a common theory is that the blood tests often don't pick up on people with early stage liver damage who might progress to a later stage. Those people get the all clear and continue smashing their liver with unhealthy things and some eventually develop late stage cirrhosis. Early stage liver damage can be halted though, and in some cases reversed. The liver is a wonderful organ that will do everything it can to repair itself.

I'm not suggesting you have liver damage of any kind by the way, just adding some perspective on a question I see all the time. What is it that makes you think you could have cirrhosis?

DeepSigh
01-02-22, 11:36
Thank you both for the responses.

So is it safe to say that if the liver function blood tests come back as normal, I don't need to worry?

I do also worry that I do have some early liver damage - and that this is not getting picked up by tests - is it likely that this would show up on numerous/repeated blood tests? Does it just sometimes get missed or do the tests just not pick up early damage at all?

To answer your question, I worry about my liver because I have self-medicated with alcohol in the past and am overweight... I worry about all health issues but liver is my main one.

Thanks again

WorryRaptor
01-02-22, 13:19
Thank you both for the responses.

So is it safe to say that if the liver function blood tests come back as normal, I don't need to worry?

I do also worry that I do have some early liver damage - and that this is not getting picked up by tests - is it likely that this would show up on numerous/repeated blood tests? Does it just sometimes get missed or do the tests just not pick up early damage at all?

To answer your question, I worry about my liver because I have self-medicated with alcohol in the past and am overweight... I worry about all health issues but liver is my main one.

Thanks again

The fact you've had numerous blood tests and they have stayed consistently normal strongly suggests you don't have any kind of progressive liver damage :)

I'm probably preaching to the choir on this one, but the best thing you can do for your liver if you are overweight is to lose weight. A fatty liver is reversable(if you even have one) Just making gradual healthy changes will go a long way to helping.

Flapj
04-02-22, 04:38
If your liver tests are normal then you are fine. They are very sensitive and even something as simple as a viral infection can cause the numbers to rise. Even occasional high numbers don't mean much usually. Liver disease is complicated. But take comfort in knowing the liver is probably the most resilient organ in the body. Even people with mild cirrhosis can stop it or reverse it.

AnxietySufferer
11-02-22, 18:10
If youve had a number of liver function tests over a long time period and they are coming back clear you are fine.

As other people pointed out, the liver is a great organ which repairs itself. Even IF (I dont think you do at all, just saying hypothetically because its your fear) you had early stage liver issues following a healthy diet and living a health lifestyle should mean the liver would be able to sort itself out.

There is no need to worry here.