PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes first symptoms

jules321
04-02-22, 11:32
What are the first symptoms of diabetes type 2? Specifically, is tingling on the soles of your feet a first symptom?

glassgirlw
04-02-22, 15:10
I don’t know that there is a first symptom. Everyone is different. There’s a very easy blood test than can be done to detect diabetes, so if you’re concerned I would contact your GP and get that scheduled.

nomorepanic
04-02-22, 18:52
If you are worried then get a test done. There are no "first" symptoms of it.

jules321
10-02-22, 15:47
Yes a blood test would be helpful but 1) we are locked down due to a very high risk family member and 2) I have severe anxiety about getting tested.

I did test my urine at home (about 20x) which was negative for glucose. I also ordered a blood glucose meter to test at home which will arrive in a couple days.

I’m having trouble sleeping and have convinced myself that my feet tingling is either diabetes or MS.

Pamplemousse
10-02-22, 16:45
It often has no symptoms whatsoever - I certainly had none when I was diagnosed over seven years ago.

The very simple test that is done is called an OGTT, or Oral Glucose Tolerance Test.

You fast the night before this test, then when you arrive for the test a blood sample will be taken. You then drink a syrup solution and go and sit down for a period - usually 15-30 minutes. After this another blood sample is taken and you go home. The blood samples will then be sent away for analysis.

Whether you are normal, pre-diabetic or diabetic will be determined by how fast the glucose solution is cleared by your system, as indicated by the second blood sample.

In all honesty, I think your tingly feet have nothing to do with either but the only way you will find out is by going for a blood test. Normally glucose is only seen in urine when your kidneys are damaged or you are on a particular diabetes medication that deliberately causes this, such as SGLT-2 inhibitors.

jules321
10-02-22, 17:31
Can’t get the oral test while locked down. ;) My doc wouldn’t start with that test anyway though.

Doc would test blood glucose level which I think would be the same result I will get from the home blood glucose monitor I bought. I also bought a home A1C test.

My doc said glucose often shows up in urine for diabetics?

Pamplemousse
10-02-22, 18:02
Can’t get the oral test while locked down. ;) My doc wouldn’t start with that test anyway though.

Doc would test blood glucose level which I think would be the same result I will get from the home blood glucose monitor I bought. I also bought a home A1C test.

My doc said glucose often shows up in urine for diabetics?

You must approach diabetes differently in the US to the UK then.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279508/
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279508/)
Urine tests only detect very high blood sugar. This is because the body doesn’t generally get rid of sugar in urine if someone’s blood sugar levels are normal or slightly high. If there is sugar in your urine, you should make an appointment to see a doctor about it.

These are the UK guidelines for diagnosis:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/position-statements-reports/diagnosis-ongoing-management-monitoring/new_diagnostic_criteria_for_diabetes