PDA

View Full Version : trigeminal neuralgia

LilyLabVA
05-02-22, 14:59
This morning I was laying in bed waking up and I had a sharpie electric pain on my chin area. It felt like electricity and I kinda rubbed it and it disappeared after a few seconds. Then I googled and now I’m horrified that I have TN and will need a brain scan and they will find a tumor. I’m shaky and upset and no one in my family takes me serious at all bc of all the things I’ve thought for 10 years and they never came thru. This pain was real. Is it possible it’s NOT TN? I’m 39. And I need some reassurance bc I am sick over this and just want to enjoy the day with my daughter and not be consumed with catastrophic thoughts.

nomorepanic
05-02-22, 16:05
You really can't jump to the TN conclusion with just one episode like that to be fair.

nomorepanic
05-02-22, 16:05
Oh and just to add that the pain with TN is absolutely excruciating.

LilyLabVA
05-02-22, 21:53
Thanks for replying. It has not happened again in 10 hours. Does that rule it out mostly? Or not really?

nomorepanic
05-02-22, 22:45
I would say yes it does.

Watch and see if it happens again.

LilyLabVA
05-02-22, 23:25
So that was comforting until it was not haha. Thank you! Waiting is the worst!!

nomorepanic
05-02-22, 23:34
Well I am not a doctor but you had one episode of something and googled and self-diagnosed something that is quite rare.

I can tell you that the pain is really bad but I have no idea if you have it or not so I am saying it could be a one-off so wait and see if it happens again.

WorryRaptor
06-02-22, 00:01
I've had episodes trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia and cluster headaches. Basically my head and neck is a mess! All of that, and I don't have a tumour. I'm not sure how you made the leap from one episode of nerve pain to a tumour.

TN is excruciating by the way. It stops you in your tracks. Even brushing my fingers gently over the skin or yawning can bring on a bout of it. You likely just had a harmless little nerve zap which happens to millions of people every day.