PDA

View Full Version : I've done something stupid

flygirl767
13-02-22, 11:48
Hi so after 2 years of my HA being dormant, it is back with avengence and it is all my fault! Had my smear test last week and the nurse noticed an issue which she said needed referring to Gyne. I was actually okay with this as she was very reassuring and I didn't give it much thought until last weekend when for some unknown reason, I started googling (yeah, I know!!). I ended up going down the rabbit hole of Cervical Cancer. I read things that I now can't un-see and am convinced I have it as I had some issues a few years ago which were checked out and I was deemed low risk.

I know it is a rare cancer, I know I have had 3 negative tests in the last 5 years but I am beside myself. The referral will probably take some weeks and I just don't know how to cope as my mind is occupied with it from the minute I get up to the minute I fall asleep. I am feeling pains in my lower abdomen and honestly feel like I am going mad! I am normally a confident and relaxed person, very rarely ill and I don't suffer from general anxiety. I have started doing the CBT workbooks as recommended on here and I am on the list for NHS CBT but it is a long wait. I know why I have HA due to losing two close family members to cancer but I just don't know how to deal with it. Any help and advice appreciated!

Angiee74
14-02-22, 07:46
I’m sorry to hear you’re going through a tuff time. I can assure you if the doctor is not worried that you shouldn’t be either. I personally work at a doctors office as a medical assistant. They often just want to double check to make sure they are taking care of the patient. No need to panic they were definitely tell you if you needed to be panicking trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnxietySufferer
22-02-22, 08:43
Hi so after 2 years of my HA being dormant, it is back with avengence and it is all my fault! Had my smear test last week and the nurse noticed an issue which she said needed referring to Gyne. I was actually okay with this as she was very reassuring and I didn't give it much thought until last weekend when for some unknown reason, I started googling (yeah, I know!!). I ended up going down the rabbit hole of Cervical Cancer. I read things that I now can't un-see and am convinced I have it as I had some issues a few years ago which were checked out and I was deemed low risk.

I know it is a rare cancer, I know I have had 3 negative tests in the last 5 years but I am beside myself. The referral will probably take some weeks and I just don't know how to cope as my mind is occupied with it from the minute I get up to the minute I fall asleep. I am feeling pains in my lower abdomen and honestly feel like I am going mad! I am normally a confident and relaxed person, very rarely ill and I don't suffer from general anxiety. I have started doing the CBT workbooks as recommended on here and I am on the list for NHS CBT but it is a long wait. I know why I have HA due to losing two close family members to cancer but I just don't know how to deal with it. Any help and advice appreciated!

If they were worried about cervical cancer they would have referred you for an urgent colposcopy. This happened to my friend as the nurse could see some abnormalities during the smear. She got her appointment within the month. Even then, my friend went for her scan, had the biopsy and the cells were mild and now just has yearly smear tests. I also had an abnormal smear so had to go for the colposcopy and mine cells were also mild.

I know what it’s like waiting on referrals and it is anxiety provoking for anyone with or without HA so you are doing really well!!

It sounds like you have just been referred to a gyn for a general check up rather than any cervical cancer worries.

Let us know how it goes.