PDA

View Full Version : Easiness of getting the right help

clickaway
12-02-05, 19:48
Just thought I’d start a post about how much help you’ve had and how easy it was to find.

I’d like to know the experiences of others, as in my case I feel my doctor could have done more as regards practical help and suggesting places to go and people to see.

I’ve had panic attacks for about 10 years and at first was given tranquillisers or ‘over-the counter’ medication. Then along came Seroxat and that seemed to help me a lot. However a year ago, such medication (there is some that I’m not able to take) became ineffective, and my GP said there was not much more she could do for me.

The way I felt at the time gave me the impression that she was only able to sign sick notes and prescriptions! But in all fairness she got me an appointment with a psychiatrist (not really that useful) and referred me to an NHS therapist for anxiety management. That was in May 2004, yet it is only now in February 2005 that treatment is starting (for ‘task management’).

Fortunately, my employer arranged 12 weeks of counselling and three one-hour sessions with a consultant physician – at their expense. So I had 15 hours of time to talk to people to get some understanding and advice.

Again, by chance the trade union’s local welfare secretary had quite a bit of knowledge of how it feels to have anxiety disorder and she told me about No Panic.

Because I was waiting so long for the NHS, I could not see much light at the end of the tunnel – I just had panic attack after panic attack and knew I had to take some action. I just had to pick up the Yellow Pages and find a psychotherapist, and I had an introductory chat with him the very next day.

And of course, No Panic linked me through to this great site.

Now my point is, why didn’t my GP suggest what other help was out there? There ARE people out there who can help you, but how are you going to get to know? The voluntary sector provide great support and, if you can afford it, so can a psychotherapist. I did discover after several visits that my GP does have some info on self help groups as I asked the question and got a print out. That gave me the name of First Steps to Freedom who fulfil a similar role to No Panic.

Given the long NHS waiting times, complimentary support is vital. I also feel that GP’s should be much more pro-active when it comes to letting people know about what help is out there. They should have a rack of calling cards giving details of support groups for a number of issues that affect their patients – not just anxiety sufferers.

Just wondered if anybody wanted to share their experience and views on how we could receive better support.

Ray

FAN
12-02-05, 19:57
not sure my doc was too useful i did go into a unit 4 years ago when i was at my worse but with my recent problems i was given a load of out of date phone numbers to call i was also sent for an appointment with a man (not confident with men) and i did go but he gave me a questionaire to fill out whilst all the time asking about suicide attempts and self harm etc i have to say i spent the whole 45 mins crying and ticking boxes apparently this was to assess what sort of councelling would be best for me but then i said i needed the loo and went home , they do also have some sort of group thing but if your not comfortable with spilling your guts to strangers then its not much help

fan x

kate
12-02-05, 20:10
I had my first panic attack when I was 19 (I'm 42 now). The doctor prescribed me Diazepam which didn't help at all. My main symptom then was what I now know to be depersonalisation and the Diazepam made this worse.

I went back to him and he told me, literally, to pull myself together :(

Anyway, I have been through anxiety and depression, been on several anti d's, seen a psychiatrist and a psychologist and had hypnotherapy.

Overall, I think that doctor's are still ill informed when it comes to mental health matters. Also, I had to ask my doc for a referral to the mental health team as he had never raised the matter with me.

Just as a final point, mental health facilities for children seem to be even worse than those for adults. My daughter has OCD and my doc referred her to a psychiatrist. I have now been informed by them that there is a 12 month waiting list [V]

We seem to have to fight very hard for any help. No wonder there is still a stigma attached to mental health problems.

Kate x

jude
13-02-05, 09:21
Hiya Ray,

Help.....whats that then?
My Gp offered me medication and nothing else for the first 3 months.
I went to see a different GP, asking for some counselling and referal to a CPN. Im still waiting to hear. That was back in January.
I also asked to be seen by a Cognitive behavioural therapist. The waiting list is 18 months long.
She suggested th moodgym...enough said.
Nothing else.

Im just glad I found this site.

Jude x

seh1980
13-02-05, 09:43
hello Ray,

I have been very lucky as I have been able to go private and trust me, it is worth every penny. I was referred to a great psychiatrist who really helped me and put me on great medication and was then referred to a very good counsellor. The NHS can be very good but not with things like anxiety as it involves 6 months - 1 year waits and someone with anxiety needs to be seen immediately!!

Sarah :D

clickaway
13-02-05, 13:37
Sarah,

Just adding to my post, I am seeing a private psychotherpist every week and expect to be doing so for the next two years.

He realises that my issues that sparked this whole thing off have been lurking in my head for decades, and also knows how I feel with all the physical symptoms.

He costs me £40 per hour but its worth every penny.

So I would say to others - go for it if you can, but I know that won't be possible for a number of you.

But I would also urge others to find they find a listening ear that doesn't cost a bean.

Anyway, I'm planning to do my bit by going to the Health Centre with some of this groups leaflets!

Ray

Meg
13-02-05, 13:48
Hi Ray,

Many thanks for your offer to take some leaflets down to your health centre - every person we can reach and help is one less person struggling alone thinking they're the only one.

Keep a really open mind about the 2 years thing - if its for anxiety/panic a CBT course of 16 weeks is recommended with a review and possible extension at the end.

Not many people will be completely sorted by then, if it's been going on for decades with underlying issues too, but they will often have enough self help tools to go to a therapist less often by then.

You decide how often you need them not them and just a few private ones are encouraged by flashing ££ signs.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
13-02-05, 19:08
Ray

I was left undiagnosed for far too long - nearly 2 years.

I clearly remember what the doc said when I went about why I was feeling dizzy and panicky all the time. He said "eat more brown bread". Big help that was!

When they finally admitted that it was panic/anxiety it was too late for a quick fix! I went on 2 different anti-depressants but took myself off them cos they didn't see to help the panic attacks.

I did some counselling at the doctors surgery - 1 hour every week for 6 weeks and that was a big help.

Then I was able to get "fast-tracked" to some CBT as I had a car accident and the compensation claim was pending this treatment so they got me in much more quickly. I did that for 9 months.

I had a great doctor in Sheffield but then I moved down here 7 years ago so had to start again with a new set of doctors and I found one of them very un-sympathetic and just kept saying "it is just anxiety".

I now have a great doc but haven't actually talked to him about the panic/anxiety for over 3 years cos I know what to do I just have to do it !

He took some leaflets for the site but I have no idea if he hands them out.

I will post the leaflets for you tomorrow and hopefully they will get given to those that need the support that only we (fellow sufferers) can provide.

Nicola