PDA

View Full Version : Why do I react like this when I hurt my head...

wasdhu
14-02-22, 04:33
I was out and about in my town. I was going up a step inside a shop and I banged my head on a low ceiling. It wasn’t HARD but it stang for a few seconds.

Because I was out in public and had things to do I ended up forgetting it happened after a few minutes, which was nice, And I felt fine afterwards until I eventually came home and randomly remembered “Oh yeah I hurt my head today”.

Of course the anxiety started kicking in. Head injury is a strong trigger for me and I spent the rest of the day trying my best to stay calm. And yes as soon as I started thinking about it the headache kicked in, along with a sore neck, and ear pain, and a slightly sore back.

The next day the anxiety felt ok, and so did the pain. But I randomly woke up in the middle of the night after falling asleep (now) and I have an almost sharp pain at the base of my skull which is hard to ignore and it’s making me get anxious again... Which is why I’m here now.

I know most people, when they bang their head, it hurts for a minute and then it’s fine. When I bang my head my body seems to have an extremely strong reaction. I almost always have a headache. When it’s a particularly rough bang to the head I can have a headache for a whole week that genuinely affects how I get on with my day. And I almost always get some sort of sore neck (like when you have whiplash) and sometimes even back pain.

All of this pain I get from a simple injury most people don’t react to makes me think there’s something wrong with me. And that doesn’t help the anxiety. I try to keep in mind that I have a chronic pain condition (doctors have no idea what) and historically my body overreacts to any kind of injury, but things related with the head are especially hard for me to ignore. I remember from past googling long ago “if you have a headache after hurting your head you should see a doctor” so obviously that repeats itself over and over in my head. And then I think about having an internal head injury that I don’t get looked at so I die...

Seriously what the hell is wrong with me!!!

wasdhu
14-02-22, 11:58
Today my head hurts more than it did yesterday. When I touch the front of my head it's really sore, it shouldn't be this sore, I didn't hit my head hard enough. I've been putting ice on my head and neck, it doesn't feel better. I wonder if I would be in this much pain if I hadn't remembered that I hurt my head

Sar89
20-02-22, 01:14
I could of wrote this. I have a horrible fear of head injuries so much so I cannot stand people touching my head. Like even a hair dresser washing my hair makes me tense up. However it’s far easier to be logical when it’s not my head. So you don’t have a serious head injury or you wouldn’t be writing such a coherent message on here. You also state you have a chronic pain condition and your body usually over-reacts to injuries. There is your answer. X

AnxietySufferer
21-02-22, 15:50
I know it doesnt make it any better, but I also freak out if I have hit my head. I think anxious people just convince themselves they will be the unlucky one. I can rationalise a lot more with other things but when it comes to health all logic goes out the window for me.