PDA

View Full Version : Worried about legionnaires disease again!

Nighttime pacer
15-02-22, 22:33
Hi all, thanks to anyone who reads this.
I had the plumber round today to fix my boiler. He said I’m going to turn the water back on and can you then turn the bath taps off.
I immediately worried as I haven’t turned my bath taps on for over a year as I live alone and never have baths only showers. My shower has different pipes going to it as it has some sort of thermostat valve.
I put a disposable mask on and held my breath and then as quickly as I could turned the taps off, then left the bathroom and closed the door soon after.
I’m just worried there may have been stagnant water in the pipes and Hope I haven’t breathed any of it in.
I know it’s my own fault for not running the bath taps for a year but I’m now really scared I’ll get legionnaires disease.
I have a combo boiler so there’s no hot water tank and the hot and cold water runs from the basin first and then the bath in my bathroom I think and so there’s not that much stagnant water involved I hope.
I made a private GP appointment today to discuss it and they said I took sensible precautions and although they couldn’t say I definitely won’t get ill they think it’s a really really low risk.
I’ve had loads of CBT recently which has helped but legionnaires is a massive trigger for me.
Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading my post if you’ve made it to the end.
Nighttime Pacer

nomorepanic
15-02-22, 23:07
Have you ever heard of anyone dying from this in this way? No you haven't. You are overthinking things again.

Nighttime pacer
15-02-22, 23:17
Hi Nicola,
I know you’re right and I know the chances are in 2 weeks I’ll look back and realise I was worrying about nothing. If only I could convince my brain.

nomorepanic
15-02-22, 23:26
Are you getting help to control the HA thoughts?

Nighttime pacer
15-02-22, 23:44
Hi Nicola, I’ve recently completed a lot of sessions of CBT which has helped a lot. I’d had lots of talking therapy in the past which didn’t really do much to be honest but the CBT has made a difference. I think the main issue is constant underlying anxiety due to the pandemic, it feels like my health anxiety gets triggered much more easily since Covid became a thing.
I think maybe I need more coping and distraction techniques.

nomorepanic
15-02-22, 23:49
Have you read the website articles on this?

Nighttime pacer
16-02-22, 00:42
Hi Nicola, No I haven’t read the website’s articles, I will now though. Thanks for the suggestion.