PDA

View Full Version : Low Potassium?

AnxietySufferer
21-02-22, 15:46
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with low potassium?

My levels are 3.3 (3.5-5.2 is normal).

My levels were the same back in 2018, so the doctor thinks this may just be normal for me. My doctor at the time back in 2018 didnt even tell me about the low levels (probably thought it was a one off?!).

The doctor agrees its a little odd my potassium levels are low as I already eat quite a lot of fruit and veg.

I have been told to try and eat more potassium and they will re test. They are also testing me for something called Conns Syndrome. This has sent my health anxiety into over drive. My blood pressure was just about in the normal range and my sodium levels are ok, which are good signs. I think the doctor just wants to be thorough.

Has anyone else got / had slightly low potassium levels?

Thank you :)

x

AnxietySufferer
22-02-22, 10:45
I am really struggling with this one. I have ordered a fitness watch which I have avoided for so long because I don’t want to get obsessed with checking blood pressure or heart rate or sleep quality.

I really struggle when a doctor suggests there may actually be something else going on.

The doctor even said she was being thorough which should reassure me. The syndrome is rare and it is usually people in their 30s or 40s, with high blood pressure. My blood pressure was only very slightly elevated (I was also feeling very anxious) but I can’t stop focusing on that. Also because my heart rate was high. Health anxiety just sucks.

Even if I did have this syndrome I think it is a quick fix with a small op. But health anxiety convinced me I'm gonna suddenly drop down dead before I can get it sorted.

I think as well just in general I have a hard time knowing that my potassium levels aren’t quite right. Whereas someone without health anxiety probably wouldn’t even think about it. Especially as it could just be normal for me.

Scass
22-02-22, 12:20
I’m sorry, it’s not something I’m aware of.
I think you need to trust your doctor here. And eat lots of bananas!

I know as a side effect of my asthma inhalers, they can lower potassium apparently, are you on any medication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnxietySufferer
22-02-22, 13:20
I’m sorry, it’s not something I’m aware of.
I think you need to trust your doctor here. And eat lots of bananas!

I know as a side effect of my asthma inhalers, they can lower potassium apparently, are you on any medication?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Scass. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The only medication I am on is Griseofulvin which is an anti-fungal pill.

Ah that is interesting about your asthma inhaler because I read that low potassium can be caused by steroids. Maybe anti fungal pills do a similar thing but it’s strange the doctor didn’t mention it. The whole reason I had the blood test in the first place was to check my levels were ok because the drug can damage the liver.