PDA

View Full Version : Benzene and Acetaldehyde in sanitizer - Cancer Fears

axxerd
24-02-22, 16:04
I have just found out that the disinfectant that we use on surfaces at work since 2020 is recalled due to high levels of acetaldehyde, which is known to cause cancer. So, while reeling from this news, I went online and found out that another hand sanitizer we have been using at home was recalled, and the product licence suspended by Health Canada, for containing benzene.

I lost my father due to leukemia, and his battle with that disease played a big role in me developing health anxiety. I know that benzene can cause leukemia.

How likely am I to have been exposed enough to these chemicals over the past 2 years to now develop cancer, or leukemia specifically? Since March 2020 we had worked from home for about 12 months in total, so I wouldn't have been exposed to the disinfectant during that time.

I know I am probably spiraling now and that the amounts are very very low and it is recalled due to an abundance of caution, but I don't know enough about how exposure amounts work to have enough information to be reassured in this case.

Looking for some opinions on the matter to help me wrap my head around this.

utrocket09
24-02-22, 17:34
I have just found out that the disinfectant that we use on surfaces at work since 2020 is recalled due to high levels of acetaldehyde, which is known to cause cancer. So, while reeling from this news, I went online and found out that another hand sanitizer we have been using at home was recalled, and the product licence suspended by Health Canada, for containing benzene.

I lost my father due to leukemia, and his battle with that disease played a big role in me developing health anxiety. I know that benzene can cause leukemia.

How likely am I to have been exposed enough to these chemicals over the past 2 years to now develop cancer, or leukemia specifically? Since March 2020 we had worked from home for about 12 months in total, so I wouldn't have been exposed to the disinfectant during that time.

I know I am probably spiraling now and that the amounts are very very low and it is recalled due to an abundance of caution, but I don't know enough about how exposure amounts work to have enough information to be reassured in this case.

Looking for some opinions on the matter to help me wrap my head around this.

You can not use any chemicals and still develop cancer. Just get rid of the chemical.