PDA

View Full Version : Russia/Ukraine Anxiety

ErinKC
25-02-22, 19:40
I am having a really hard time today with panic re: escalating war with Russia. I’m American and know at this moment I’m entirely safe and I’m no way want to minimize the actual horror people are facing right now, but I’m also an avid student of the Cold War and know more than I want to about the potentially catastrophic consequences of this. I just can’t get myself to calm down no matter how many times I take a deep breath and remind myself it’s out of my control. I just want to pick my daughter up early from school and all be together. I couldn’t sleep last night because with the time difference I was afraid something would happen overnight. I know I can’t be the only one having a hard time.

Angiee74
25-02-22, 23:54
Hello, I am also anxious about all this . We have to speak positive stuff out loud. We have to manifest it . Think positive there is not really much we can do about this just pray we will be okay. Go do something fun today to help with the fear .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panicattacka
26-02-22, 05:45
What's the point worrying about geopolitical events that you can personally do zero about? I mean, you could try and flee to New Zealand or Tierra Del Fuego or somewhere deep in the southern hemisphere, but other than that, what? Might as well enjoy each day that you have.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 07:04
I think we have to place trust in world leaders. They often can seem a bunch of numpties but remember they are just a figurehead over a whole machine behind which does the real work.

You're a student of history so how many times in the modern world have we seen the potential for disaster yet it hasn't happened because people do end up working together? The fall of the USSR will be one you will know well. Remember all those nuclear weapons floating about? Yet we remained safe. How many wars occur and how many are scuffles, policing actions or just sabre rattling?

If Putin was a madman I would have thought the US calling him all sorts over election interference would have started something? His reaction was :shrug:

I wish it wasn't happening but cool heads will be working together. The Ukranian people are limited in how they will come out of this as we don't want to storm in there either despite what their government would like. It should calm down as Putin gets his way. He may move onto other ex block states? But is this so knew? Russian were invading Afghanistan and we didn't get directly involved. The US and Vietnam with Russia behind the scenes. The list goes on...

Beware the media and their doom. They don't believe what they print, it's just business to them. They are loving it as much as the arms companies are. Limit your energy on them. Ensure the balance swings towards your wellbeing.

Lencoboy
26-02-22, 09:00
Sorry to be pedantic, but there's already a dedicated thread for the Russia-Ukraine conflict in the 'Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)' subsection.

ErinKC
26-02-22, 15:27
I think we have to place trust in world leaders. They often can seem a bunch of numpties but remember they are just a figurehead over a whole machine behind which does the real work.

You're a student of history so how many times in the modern world have we seen the potential for disaster yet it hasn't happened because people do end up working together? The fall of the USSR will be one you will know well. Remember all those nuclear weapons floating about? Yet we remained safe. How many wars occur and how many are scuffles, policing actions or just sabre rattling?

If Putin was a madman I would have thought the US calling him all sorts over election interference would have started something? His reaction was :shrug:

I wish it wasn't happening but cool heads will be working together. The Ukranian people are limited in how they will come out of this as we don't want to storm in there either despite what their government would like. It should calm down as Putin gets his way. He may move onto other ex block states? But is this so knew? Russian were invading Afghanistan and we didn't get directly involved. The US and Vietnam with Russia behind the scenes. The list goes on...

Beware the media and their doom. They don't believe what they print, it's just business to them. They are loving it as much as the arms companies are. Limit your energy on them. Ensure the balance swings towards your wellbeing.

Thanks, Terry. And these are definitely all the things I’m thinking to keep calm. I know we were in much hotter water many times before - even to the point of the Soviets getting a false alarm that the US had fires seven ICBMs and the person in charge of hitting the response missiles didn’t do it and saved the world.

I know there’s a robust intelligence apparatus operating under the radar. But I also know the fog of war is real and human error is one of our biggest threats in terms of nuclear war.

In the end, anxiety is going to anxiety. And it’s, as usually with me, a battle between my rational mind and my amygdala. Plus the utter mental exhaustion of the pandemic.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 16:39
Hey Erin, you've just got through several years of a vain man baby who could at any time have hit the big red button with with rattle. https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/children/t8540.gif

Pamplemousse
26-02-22, 16:59
Hey Erin, you've just got through several years of a vain man baby who could at any time have hit the big red button with with rattle. https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/children/t8540.gif

Indeed - a man who praises Putin as "smart" and has a whole swathe of right-wing nutjobs in the media right behind him AND Putin - Jewish space lasers, anybody?

.Poppy.
28-02-22, 14:46
I agree it is concerning. And it's hard because there seems to be a lot of things that are concerning right now, and things happening that I would have thought could never happen, and yet they are. So when someone says "oh, x will never happen!" I find it hard to believe.

But, I don't ultimately know what will happen - not in regards to this conflict and not in regards to a lot of other things going on right now. And I can't control it too much anyway. So I guess I'm just trying to control what I can, and let the other stuff go. Easier said than done, particularly with some other pressing life issues.

Lolalee1
01-03-22, 01:36

Yep and calling Putin a Genius lol,this coming from someone who called himself a Stable Genius :roflmao:
Terry where is Nathan and Vee? I miss the banter xx

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-22, 06:52
Yep and calling Putin a Genius lol,this coming from someone who called himself a Stable Genius :roflmao:
Terry where is Nathan and Vee? I miss the banter xx

Perhaps he meant he's good with a pitchfork and some hay? :biggrin:

Not seen either of them for ages. I like to think everything is rosy and opposites do attract. So, perhaps they are running hand in hand on a beach somewhere https://yoursmiles.org/msmile/love/m0651.gif Nathan in his Trump board shorts :yesyes: