PDA

View Full Version : Foot numbness

Delilah11
25-02-22, 22:31
The top of foot near my ankle bone has a weird numb throbbing sensation to it.
Does anyone know what this is?

I have a fear of leg and foot amputations and for some reason this year i had a strange feeling i would lose my leg and all this year ove been having leg problems with the leg i sense losing. I have joint pain, its hard to walk on this leg and now weird and uncomfortable feelings. The feelings are not fake btw. I can actually feel such strange and bizarre sensations from my left leg im so scared.

Fishmanpa
26-02-22, 00:50
I actually have neuropathy in my feet due to cancer treatment. I get the 'stabbies', random inconsistent stabbing pains in my feet like ice picks on a daily basis on top of total numbness (literally feels like I'm walking on scrunched up socks) 24/7. I'll take your random hyper-focused sensation any day!

FMP

BlueIris
26-02-22, 05:59
It really does sound like hyperfocusing. Also, FMP, ow!

Delilah11
26-02-22, 07:04
I actually have neuropathy in my feet due to cancer treatment. I get the 'stabbies', random inconsistent stabbing pains in my feet like ice picks on a daily basis on top of total numbness (literally feels like I'm walking on scrunched up socks) 24/7. I'll take your random hyper-focused sensation any day!

FMP

Im really sorry to hear this!
Is there any way for this to be less painful?
I really hope things work out for you in terms of lessening the pain.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-22, 07:11
Sciatica? Any lower back pain or left sided buttock pain? Does sitting feel uncomfortable? It can feel like joint pain.

It does sound something nerve related like that. It could be a posture issue if so.

Fishmanpa
27-02-22, 19:11
Im really sorry to hear this!
Is there any way for this to be less painful?
I really hope things work out for you in terms of lessening the pain.

I appreciate the thoughts D11. No, not really. Yeah, its a PITA but its a small thing in the big picture in exchange for still being alive. My Dad, who is in his late 80's has been having some health issues similar to what I experience as the 'new normal'. I was speaking with him the other day and having experienced the same as he's experiencing now, I tried to relay the same thoughts and attitude I take concerning my own health issues.

We all experience challenges, both physical and mental, but it really comes down to how we deal with them from an attitude perspective that makes the difference in how we carry on with our lives. I'm fortunate. Despite my health issues and the side effects caused by them, I have a pretty good life. I have a home I share with the woman I love, a couple of fur babies we adore, a job that is paying the bills and while yes, I deal with physical issues and the mental challenges that brings, I'm still very fortunate and blessed.

Yes, life will always present challenges. Its how we deal with them that makes the difference.

FMP

kyllikki
01-03-22, 17:07
I have the exact same feeling at the top of my foot/base of the ankle, Delilah, but I also have confirmed sciatica effecting same leg (my big toe goes numb, too), so I chalk it up to that + changed muscle usage patterns
Ironically I had to beg my PT to take a look because he was insistent that it was probably due to the sciatica, but nothing he did made a dent in the feeling
Finally I prevailed and he adjusted my ankle to create more joint space and i had about 3 days of complete relief before it gradually came back
If I reach down and pop the joint myself I can also get a few min of relief

I only know what to do / what to ask for and because like FMP, I also have permanent issues (bone pain) in a leg (ironically, the one without the sciatica and top of foot numbness) from a really bad traumatic injury
I lived with the "stabbies"/ what ankle people call the "bear trap" for about a year as some nerve irritation from injury+surgery healed. So I know what "really bad" feels like... and it's not what you describe.

But for what it's worth, I absolutely think you should pursue having someone look at it -- as I personally think long term small miseries grind us down more than major events, if that makes sense.

The body keeps the score, as they say, and it's best to confront problems head on and look for solutions. That includes your anxiety, too.

Can you see a Physio for a direct evaluation in the UK? Here in the US they can usually do 1 or 2 sessions without insurance approval; maybe it's the same for the NHS?