PDA

View Full Version : Fearful, anxious, scared of dying from nuclear attack

loonarider77
01-03-22, 22:48
Hi,.I'm new here and finally plucked up the courage to post

I'm sure a lot of us are aware of the war going on between Ukraine and Russia.

It sounds selfish because I'm not the one currently being bombed, but I am so ill with fear and anxiety since Putin begun the invasion. I always told myself that if we ever get into a war, it better not be with Russia because it could lead to a retaliatory nuclear attack.

I'm from the UK and I'm hearing that men are volunteering to fight with the Ukrainians, and while that sounds pretty heroic and moral thing to do, I can't help thinking this would make Putin's choice to nuke us out of orbit possible. It's a blatant provocation.

WwIII/Nuclear war is becoming a scary reality and I feel sick from the thought and cry most days.

I just don't want to die this way, I don't want anyone to press that button.

I just need support from here if possible and please nothing that going to send me to a darker place.

I need to be rational about this, but how when we're dealing with a lunatic :(

Whizz
01-03-22, 23:14
I too have felt like you, there is another thread below this which mentions about this issue.

I done some reading to rationalize, despite it feeling uncomfortable in doing so I felt I had to just clear a few things up in my head, here's what I learnt.

So our friend didn't calculate the type of resistance he would face, he was/is struggling, the west imposed sanctions, he is upset his plans aren't going well so to regain some type of control/power he mentions the "N" word IF the west let's troops go in but we've been very, very clear that countries such as the UK and US WILL NOT send troops in, they know not to poke.

Also remember that there is a lot of language used in the news to sensationalise and shock to keep people engaged and it helps to make people share articles. I've also seen a fair amount of incorrect reporting, especially in Ukrainian news sources.

On a side note, I think anyone posting in this thread should be careful what is said due to the amount of panic the situation is causing. 👍

Turn off the news for a bit, keep busy and put your focus elsewhere.

Anxle
01-03-22, 23:18
There is already a long thread on this, but some of the more descriptive posts from fellow worriers may not be useful for you to read, though mods may decide to merge them of course.

Try and switch off from the news, remember we're being fed a lot of propaganda, and vague verbal threats are far from the same thing as action or likely future action. Most of all remember this is a hypothetical situation, it's not happening, at least to those of us lucky enough to be outside Ukraine. And like all hypothetical situations, worry and anxiety are not useful. It's much easier said than done sometimes, do seek professional help if you're finding it too hard.

loonarider77
04-03-22, 13:11
Hey thanks for responding. Bur I'm hearing there volunteer's leaving here to fight which basically means boots on the ground from the UK. Surely, that's a massive provocation to Putin?

I'm trying so hard to be rational and failing terribly.

I get moments of feeling calm and relaxed because I also understand how silly it would be to essentially commit suicide by pressing the button. There is nothing to gain from it...

But then I'm back to the existential dread feelings.

I apologise if this has triggered anyone. Is there a way to change the title of this thread. I really don't want to cause distress to to others here. :(

loonarider77
04-03-22, 13:14
Hi, yes checked the other war thread which didn't help but only made me feel worse.

I am currently in therapy, and it's something I've mentioned.

Thanks

Taucher
04-03-22, 13:38
'I'm hearing there volunteer's leaving here to fight which basically means boots on the ground from the UK. Surely, that's a massive provocation to Putin?'

No - these are volunteers who have decided to go of their own free will and are not part of any official UK armed forces.

Whizz
04-03-22, 13:44
I hope your therapy helps. Sometimes posting in a place like this can also help offload thoughts and get another perspective.

I also echo what Taucher said. Volunteers are a totally different story. 👍

pulisa
04-03-22, 14:02
I think being at the mercy of a constant newsfeed (providing you choose this of course) is really detrimental to mental health. If you go outside is there any evidence of people preparing for nuclear attack? Any government guidelines/instructions in the event of a nuclear attack? Bunker locations? Food stockpiling? TV scheduling interruptions?

It's pretty much business as usual where I live.

Lencoboy
04-03-22, 14:31
I think being at the mercy of a constant newsfeed (providing you choose this of course) is really detrimental to mental health. If you go outside is there any evidence of people preparing for nuclear attack? Any government guidelines/instructions in the event of a nuclear attack? Bunker locations? Food stockpiling? TV scheduling interruptions?

It's pretty much business as usual where I live.

Same here in the Midlands. Everyone just going about their normal daily business with absolutely no evidence of anything untoward or out of the ordinary happening so far, even though Covid still remains a thing. In fact, on the face of it, things actually seem to be getting closer to the 'old' normal now than they have been at any time since early March 2020.

No sign of any new and updated 'Protect And Survive' brochures on the doormat nor related PIFs on TV either, of which I read were a staple of the 70s and early 80s era.

Also, a lot of this 'red button' talk so far just seems to be vague 'idle talk' and bluffing, plus Putin hasn't actually mentioned any named targets for attack as yet either.

The Fullfact site did the other day urge us to beware of a 'historical' map image circulating on social media that notes likely locations for nuclear attack in the UK, which actually dates from the 70s (Cold War era) and is not in any way linked to what's going on right now.

Perhaps that's what some people on here have come across on social media and inadvertently been scared witless by?

Panicattacka
04-03-22, 14:50
Hi loonarider77! I don't know how old you are, but I'm 49, soon to be 50, and remember the Cold War days from the late 70s onwards when the USSR invaded Afghanistan on Christmas Eve 1979, and my mum was really freaking out, worrying that we kids would never get to grow up!

We then had Reagan calling the USSR the Evil Empire in 1982, Brezhnev threatening retaliation for any foreign countries daring to get involved in the Afghanistan war, etc. and huge miltary build ups in Europe by both sides and all kinds of war games and exercises. The NATO 'Able Archer' exercises of 1983 are now known to have almost convinced the Soviets that war was about to start! So in my own life time I've seen tremendous tension between the West and USSR/Russia, indeed the early 80s was very scary until Gorbachev became President of the USSR in 1985, Reagan toned down his aggressive rhetoric a bit, and relations with the West started improving. We then had the bizarre August coup of 1991 in Russia when Gorbachev was locked up in his summer house by the coup plotters (hard line militarists who thought he was too liberal) and there was confusion for 3 days as to who was in command of the military, including the nuclear codes. That was dodgy for everyone and NATO forces were on very high alert.

We then had the drunken Yeltsin years from 1991 to 2000 when life in Russia went crazy for ordinary people with tremendous economic suffering, anarchy, gangsterism and population decline, while the West became drunk on its success, power, and trying to make the rest of the world in its image. Putin was old school KGB and was clearly backed by said militarists who were still pissed off about the USSR collapsing. There was always going to be a reaction from Russia 'to restore order and pride in the nation', and Putin & Co. was that reaction.

Geopolitics is a game of big cojones, bluffing, brinkmanship, spying, getting away with what you can militarily and always probing your enemies' weakpoints. It's also about alliance building and staying ahead of the competition in technology. Putin is now cosying up to China - that's all part of the 'great game'. That's quite rational behaviour when you think about it. He's also even made deals with the Israelis in the Middle East concerning Syria and is heavily involved in the Iran nuclear negotiations... these are not the actions of a nutter who wants to press a big red shiny button. If that was all Putin wanted to do, well he could've done that on January 1st, 2000 when he became president. No, he made long-term plans instead...My point is that insane people don't do long-term planning like that. Whatever else he is (insert your favourite epithet here) he's not crazy.

Anxle
04-03-22, 14:51
The Fullfact site did the other day urge us to beware of a 'historical' map image circulating on social media

Yeah those posts are the worst kind of clickbait, which essentially boil down to "here's a map of where British cities are".

A certain Russian fella is trying to live in our heads rent free by making us scared of him. And it's working. There is no red fire button on his desk, it doesn't work like that, and if it becomes more scary for his lackeys to follow his orders than not to, he'll probably be mysteriously falling down the Kremlin's steepest staircase.

Why not choose to live presuming that hypothetical future, or one of the many more likely ones, rather than the catastrophic hypothetical future?

CBT tells you to counter questions of "Argh this might happen" with a shrugged "yeah, it might", and move on if you can't do anything about it. This seems really hard with existential fears but it's true. Because if you chase 100% certainty you'll never get it.

Panicattacka
04-03-22, 15:22
Because if you chase 100% certainty you'll never get it.

So true. The very act of existing implies some level of risk. Imagine this crisis miraculously ended tomorrow somehow, how would you feel? Fantastic, right? A-Effing One! You'd be turning cartwheels and getting the bunting out. And then a few days would go by, then a few weeks, then a few months, maybe even a year or two and then.....Bam! Along comes a brand new existential crisis to upset you. Whether it's a problem with your own personal physical health, a new threat looming overseas, a natural disaster, or whatever, you will be reminded that we aren't here to live with 100% certainty, lollipops, sparkly pants, and pink unicorns prancing on the lawn. Something is always going to come along and remind us of exactly what we are: Finite beings. We have to live in the moment and embrace it, or this is no life at all.

Lencoboy
04-03-22, 16:09
So true. The very act of existing implies some level of risk. Imagine this crisis miraculously ended tomorrow somehow, how would you feel? Fantastic, right? A-Effing One! You'd be turning cartwheels and getting the bunting out. And then a few days would go by, then a few weeks, then a few months, maybe even a year or two and then.....Bam! Along comes a brand new existential crisis to upset you. Whether it's a problem with your own personal physical health, a new threat looming overseas, a natural disaster, or whatever, you will be reminded that we aren't here to live with 100% certainty, lollipops, sparkly pants, and pink unicorns prancing on the lawn. Something is always going to come along and remind us of exactly what we are: Finite beings. We have to live in the moment and embrace it, or this is no life at all.

Exactly. If this war in Ukraine was to suddenly peter out next week the media and politicians would simply move onto the next big 'threat', whatever it might be, or simply regurgitate other previous/ongoing sources of panic and hysteria.

In response to comments in your last-but-one post, I can't fathom why Putin has basically waited until now to commit such atrocities of this magnitude in Ukraine and never seemed to do so earlier in his presidency, especially since he has been in power for 22 years now.

I could be totally wrong, but I can't help but wonder if this might be the onset of possible dementia within him?

Lencoboy
04-03-22, 16:20
Yeah those posts are the worst kind of clickbait, which essentially boil down to "here's a map of where British cities are".

A certain Russian fella is trying to live in our heads rent free by making us scared of him. And it's working. There is no red fire button on his desk, it doesn't work like that, and if it becomes more scary for his lackeys to follow his orders than not to, he'll probably be mysteriously falling down the Kremlin's steepest staircase.

Why not choose to live presuming that hypothetical future, or one of the many more likely ones, rather than the catastrophic hypothetical future?

CBT tells you to counter questions of "Argh this might happen" with a shrugged "yeah, it might", and move on if you can't do anything about it. This seems really hard with existential fears but it's true. Because if you chase 100% certainty you'll never get it.

TBH, I don't think our media have helped a jot over the past couple of weeks, with their endless spewing out of sensationalistic headlines. They've already been at it incessantly with Covid over the past 2 years, by trying to make out that things were much worse than they actually were. Ditto for the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008-09.

I seriously wish the editors and journalists would just wise up and tone things down period, but I can't imagine that ever happening, as all they seem to care about most of the time is chasing dosh and clicks!

Anxle
04-03-22, 16:41
TBH, I don't think our media have helped a jot over the past couple of weeks, with their endless spewing out of sensationalistic headlines. They've already been at it incessantly with Covid over the past 2 years, by trying to make out that things were much worse than they actually were. Ditto for the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008-09.

I seriously wish the editors and journalists would just wise up and tone things down period, but I can't imagine that ever happening, as all they seem to care about most of the time is chasing dosh and clicks!

Sometimes, definitely yes, but as I've said elsewhere don't underestimate how our anxious minds are also doing their work here.

MyNameIsTerry
04-03-22, 16:45
Exactly. If this war in Ukraine was to suddenly peter out next week the media and politicians would simply move onto the next big 'threat', whatever it might be, or simply regurgitate other previous/ongoing sources of panic and hysteria.

In response to comments in your last-but-one post, I can't fathom why Putin has basically waited until now to commit such atrocities of this magnitude in Ukraine and never seemed to do so earlier in his presidency, especially since he has been in power for 22 years now.

I could be totally wrong, but I can't help but wonder if this might be the onset of possible dementia within him?

Or he's spent those years putting his pieces in place on the chess board and spotted his opportunity. Remember we are at odds with the EU, the US is retreating (Syria, Afghanistan), we & the US aren't on the best terms, China is on the move, etc.

However his move might wake our leaders up and bolster their efforts to reunite. So it backfires.

fishman65
04-03-22, 17:20
There's also the matter of how our media paints the picture. While this invasion of Ukraine is an awful and brutal act, the NATO 10 week bombing of Belgrade, Serbia in 1999 led to the deaths of an estimated 500+ civilians. Schools and hospitals were hit. Residential homes too. But I don't remember hearing anything about those in our media

Lencoboy
04-03-22, 19:50
There's also the matter of how our media paints the picture. While this invasion of Ukraine is an awful and brutal act, the NATO 10 week bombing of Belgrade, Serbia in 1999 led to the deaths of an estimated 500+ civilians. Schools and hospitals were hit. Residential homes too. But I don't remember hearing anything about those in our media

There was also Kosovo around that same era, of course. And Bosnia a few short years prior to then.

I still don't think our media were quite as 'in-yer-face' back then like to the extent that they are now.

Plus back in 1999 the Internet as we know it had only just started to break through into the mainstream, 24/7 rolling news channels were also only just starting to become a thing back then IIRC, and social media was still virtually non-existent at that time.

I think the most obvious reason for this conflict being such a big deal is because it's being perpetrated by Russia, and of course, all its past associations with the Cold War, etc.

I also wonder if there would have been a similar global outcry had it been, say, people of German origin perpetrating similar things right now, in turn owing to Germany's historical associations with Nazism and WW2?

pulisa
04-03-22, 19:58
When I was very little in the 60s I remember being terrified by the air raid sirens being tested "just in case they were ever needed again" every week at lunchtime. I remember seeing newspaper stands with very alarming headlines about the Cuban missile crisis. Nuclear weapons were very real and very threatening.

My job was very stressful and involved national security. Nobody knew what was going on because there was a need to know policy even amongst work colleagues.

I agree, Fishman..Our media happily turns a blind eye when it's needed.

fishman65
04-03-22, 20:28
There was also Kosovo around that same era, of course. And Bosnia a few short years prior to then.

I still don't think our media were quite as 'in-yer-face' back then like to the extent that they are now.
Certainly not in terms of the internet Lenco, as you say, it was in its infancy back then. However, the printed press was very much 'in your face' as now. Maybe not quite so alarmist but I remember buying the DM from the hospital shop day after day. The wife was in having our 22 year old daughter, so I was reading everything about the Serbia bombing campaign. It was all about how professional our boys were, but no mention of the children being killed.

fishman65
04-03-22, 20:34
When I was very little in the 60s I remember being terrified by the air raid sirens being tested "just in case they were ever needed again" every week at lunchtime. I remember seeing newspaper stands with very alarming headlines about the Cuban missile crisis. Nuclear weapons were very real and very threatening.

My job was very stressful and involved national security. Nobody knew what was going on because there was a need to know policy even amongst work colleagues.

I agree, Fishman..Our media happily turns a blind eye when it's needed.Crikey Pulisa you must have been very young reading about the Cuban missile crisis!! That was 1962 wasn't it. Kennedy and Khrushchev. I didn't exist so wouldn't have been too worried.

pulisa
04-03-22, 21:05
It's a vivid memory but if it was in 1962 I would have been a very precocious reader!:) I must have got it wrong or it was something else nuclear bomb related? It did seem to be an ongoing threat in the Dark Ages.

Lencoboy
04-03-22, 21:42

I agree, Fishman..Our media happily turns a blind eye when it's needed.

Twas ever thus then, as far as conventional printed newspapers are concerned?

Presumably your 'stressful' job concerning national security you mentioned must have been during the later Cold War era. I bet it probably also involved keeping the likes of the IRA in check, who of course were one of our most immediate security concerns back then in the 80s.

I read a Q and A on the BBC site this evening concerning the attack on the nuclear power plant in Ukraine (of which certainly turned out to be a lucky escape), where someone asked a question about 'how would the UK be affected had said attack resulted in full-on nuclear fallout?' and they replied with something along the lines of 'The UK is too far away for it to have had any detrimental impact on us'.

I'm sure there was mention of traces of airborne radiation that had blown over to parts of England by the wind in the aftermath of Chernobyl back in 86, but we still survived it all pretty much unscathed. I don't even remember any of it as it happened at the time, especially as I was only 9 back then, and still virtually oblivious to the news in general.

I bet had Chernobyl happened today (even without the current Ukraine conflict), we would probably never have heard the last of it from both the media and the serial conspiracy theorists!

fishman65
04-03-22, 22:29
Pulisa 'could' tell you what her career entailed Lenco, but then she'd have to bump you off. :D

I remember Chernobyl, I was 20 but more interested in going out drinking beer. I seem to remember radiation levels measured in the Welsh mountains were higher than normal. If you get a chance there's a very good documentary on CH5 with Ben Fogle. He goes to Pripyat on a guided tour and stands inside control room 4 where it all happened. The city of Pripyat is eerie with its rusting ferris wheel and bumper cars.

spectrum123
05-03-22, 00:27
TBH, I don't think our media have helped a jot over the past couple of weeks, with their endless spewing out of sensationalistic headlines. They've already been at it incessantly with Covid over the past 2 years, by trying to make out that things were much worse than they actually were. Ditto for the Global Financial Crisis

The 2008 global crisis was pretty devastating if you were in employment, it led to a decade of wage stagnation and poor economic growth, not forgetting 'austerity'. If anything, the media and government either didn't want or didn't see it coming.

spectrum123
05-03-22, 00:50

Smart munitions have moved on a lot since then, there will always be collateral damage though.

We accept less and less collateral damage as each year passes. It is though expensive, whilst we in the west consider it a price worth paying, it doesn't appear that this is reciprocated by the Russians in Ukraine.

Panicattacka
05-03-22, 04:34
Well, NATO's policy announcement yesterday that it would not enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine should come as a bit of a relief for those worried about immediate escalation. Biden's State of the Union speech a few days ago also spelled out where the lines are, and what NATO will and will not be doing.

I'm getting tired of all these screeching hysterical SJW types (mainly in some MSM places and on social media) idiotically demanding NATO intervention, as if we are talking about some rinkydink 3rd world military with no WMDs. Ukraine is not an EU country, it is not a NATO member, and it has a 1,000 year complex history with the Russians in terms of culture, language and blood (massive rates of inter-marriage between the two over the years). It was a major member of the USSR, and many great and famous USSR personnel came from the Ukraine. In short, it isn't worth it for us in the West to start the Big One over it.

Now you can all shout at me about how callous I am, and maybe I am, but I am a member of the realpolitik school of international relations, and I deal in realism, not idealism.

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-22, 06:48
It's all a question of how far are you willing to go. It's easy to demand NATO do something without having to determine what that is. NATO has been happy to steam into small nations with one rifle to every 3 men. This is different.

It's a big test for them because China is watching. If they see Russia get it's way won't China make a move on those already in it's sights?

I think we have to beware both parties on this one. The Ukrainian leader has twice told us of a nuclear disaster under Russia. Neither happened. I'll assume Russian commanders prefer to remain alive since they are professional soldiers and not some medieval religious nutters. We've heard how Ukrainian troops are kicking Russia's arse one minute (don't need NATO then) whilst Russia has taken over a major sight the next. We've heard how Russia is running out of supplies yet on they plod. And we've heard how polls show an increase in support for Putin. And of the foiled assassination plot against the Ukranian leader thanks to intelligence from some federal agency of Putin's who don't support his actions (If you believe such things :rolleyes:)

The language is purposeful. It's like the Nazis, nuclear disaster, etc. It's aimed at support. It's understandable in or out of war. But anxious people need to be careful processing this because it will fit right into their worst case fears.

Lencoboy
05-03-22, 09:51
It's all a question of how far are you willing to go. It's easy to demand NATO do something without having to determine what that is. NATO has been happy to steam into small nations with one rifle to every 3 men. This is different.

It's a big test for them because China is watching. If they see Russia get it's way won't China make a move on those already in it's sights?

I think we have to beware both parties on this one. The Ukrainian leader has twice told us of a nuclear disaster under Russia. Neither happened. I'll assume Russian commanders prefer to remain alive since they are professional soldiers and not some medieval religious nutters. We've heard how Ukrainian troops are kicking Russia's arse one minute (don't need NATO then) whilst Russia has taken over a major sight the next. We've heard how Russia is running out of supplies yet on they plod. And we've heard how polls show an increase in support for Putin. And of the foiled assassination plot against the Ukranian leader thanks to intelligence from some federal agency of Putin's who don't support his actions (If you believe such things :rolleyes:)

The language is purposeful. It's like the Nazis, nuclear disaster, etc. It's aimed at support. It's understandable in or out of war. But anxious people need to be careful processing this because it will fit right into their worst case fears.

That's the problem Terry. Too much conflicting information (no pun intended) from the media that forever seems to keep flip-flopping back and forth, often to suit individual editorial and journalistic agendas, plus of course, excessive use of over-emotive and hyperbolic lingo. They've done very similar things over Covid as well.

Little wonder so many of us feel confused right now.

loonarider77
17-03-22, 07:37
Thank you all for your posts. They really helped and are insightful. It meant I was able to relax and enjoy a somewhat calm few weeks since I posted.

Stupidly, I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and of course you can't always avoid war talk and saw one poster mention that the way things were escalating in the Russian/Ukraine war it would certainly prompt a WWIII involving nuke weapons.

Just when I was feeling fine then it hit me that we're so close to being nuked.

I wish I could shake these feelings of dread. It's spring time, it's a sunny morning and I just want to lay in bed and wither away.

My partner keeps telling me it would be dumb for Putin to start a nuclear war, but I think that if this mad man gets pushed into a corner, he will have no choice but to obliterate himself and everyone else kamikaze style.

I don't know, I just want it all over and to focus just on the pandemic instead like the good old days (said sarcastically) :(

pulisa
17-03-22, 08:30
So you've read one Facebook post from a random and all your good work over the past few weeks has been destroyed and you are back to worst case scenario mode?

Who says we're "so close to being nuked"? I haven't noticed too much panic where I live...No Government bulletins re nuclear bunkers etc.

People are booking Summer holidays and getting on with their lives. We are lucky to be merely onlookers.

Lencoboy
17-03-22, 16:57
So you've read one Facebook post from a random and all your good work over the past few weeks has been destroyed and you are back to worst case scenario mode?

Who says we're "so close to being nuked"? I haven't noticed too much panic where I live...No Government bulletins re nuclear bunkers etc.

People are booking Summer holidays and getting on with their lives. We are lucky to be merely onlookers.

There's no talk of any imminent nuclear apocalypse ATM on the BBC site, nor on Sky News, which my dad is currently watching right now.

Surely we've already been down this road before back in the 70s and the first half of the 80s when the UK was reportedly one of the prime targets for such attacks, though thankfully such an attack never actually materialised and the Cold War kind of petered out after about 1985 or so following Mikhail Gorbachev being appointed as President (so I've read).

But there doesn't appear to be any reports of any specific physical threats to the UK so far with this current conflict.

fishman65
17-03-22, 17:05
While recognising that those poor people in Ukraine are actually living in the midst of this war/crisis, I think its important not to invalidate the anxiety of people using what is after all, a website dedicated to anxiety disorders.

I've managed to insulate myself from news sources pretty well so far, but there's little defence when my Dad's lady friend gleefully gets me up to speed.

fishman65
17-03-22, 17:10
There's no talk of any imminent nuclear apocalypse ATM on the BBC site, nor on Sky News, which my dad is currently watching right now.

Surely we've already been down this road before back in the 70s and the first half of the 80s when the UK was reportedly one of the prime targets for such attacks, though thankfully such an attack never actually materialised and the Cold War kind of petered out after about 1985 or so following Mikhail Gorbachev being appointed as President (so I've read).

But there doesn't appear to be any reports of any specific physical threats to the UK so far with this current conflict.I do remember Ronald Reagan referring to the then Soviet Union as the 'evil empire'. Circa early 80s I think. I also remember barely taking any notice.

Lencoboy
17-03-22, 17:28
I do remember Ronald Reagan referring to the then Soviet Union as the 'evil empire'. Circa early 80s I think. I also remember barely taking any notice.

From your personal perspective it was probably also helped by the fact that the media in general were more rudimentary and far less 'in-yer-face' back then, unlike today.

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 17:30
I recall crouching under my desk in the 4th grade when we had drills during the nuclear war crisis in the 60's. I really had no conception or understanding of any of it either. Now? I'm 70 miles outside DC. If it were hit, I'd maybe have a minute to kiss my rear goodbye and it would be over in the blink of an eye so.... I don't concern myself with it and as I often say, and in light of what I've survived thus far in my life.....

"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

FMP

pulisa
17-03-22, 17:54
While recognising that those poor people in Ukraine are actually living in the midst of this war/crisis, I think its important not to invalidate the anxiety of people using what is after all, a website dedicated to anxiety disorders.

I've managed to insulate myself from news sources pretty well so far, but there's little defence when my Dad's lady friend gleefully gets me up to speed.

How does she know what is actually happening and why did she make a point of talking about this to you? You could have politely asked her to stop?

I'm not invalidating the anxiety, just trying to suggest ways to stop anxiety escalating needlessly when triggers are obvious.

fishman65
17-03-22, 19:13
How does she know what is actually happening and why did she make a point of talking about this to you? You could have politely asked her to stop?

I'm not invalidating the anxiety, just trying to suggest ways to stop anxiety escalating needlessly when triggers are obvious.I was at my Dad's and answered the door to her before she launched straight into the latest news. She knows about my anxiety but makes no allowances for it. It doesn't help with Dad having the DM still.

Pulisa, you do realise that if we lose at home to Newcastle tonight, it really could be Championship football next season? :unsure:

pulisa
17-03-22, 19:51
I was at my Dad's and answered the door to her before she launched straight into the latest news. She knows about my anxiety but makes no allowances for it. It doesn't help with Dad having the DM still.

Pulisa, you do realise that if we lose at home to Newcastle tonight, it really could be Championship football next season? :unsure:

It's certainly getting serious for your lot but I think that Watford, Norwich and Leeds or Brentford will succumb..I'd love to include Brighton in that group too.

Football carries on as normal and no one is considering Armageddon as a way to avoid the drop...

What do you reckon about Sunday's FA Cup tie at Selhurst?

Lencoboy
17-03-22, 20:00
It's certainly getting serious for your lot but I think that Watford, Norwich and Leeds or Brentford will succumb..I'd love to include Brighton in that group too.

Football carries on as normal and no one is considering Armageddon as a way to avoid the drop...

What do you reckon about Sunday's FA Cup tie at Selhurst?

Footie saves the world!!

fishman65
17-03-22, 22:16

What do you reckon about Sunday's FA Cup tie at Selhurst?YES!! 1-0 :D We will lose at your place Pulisa. 1 Because we can't win away and 2 We never win there at the best of times.

pulisa
18-03-22, 08:07
What a relief last night though!!

I'm not so sure about Sunday but maybe Prem status is more important..

Apologies for going off tangent...but it's always good to have a distraction and to be aware that outside the doomscrolling world there are no signs of an imminent world disaster.

fishman65
18-03-22, 21:49
Sorry Pulisa I've only just seen this. Yes our second league win this year, the worst record over all four divisions apparently. I'd take prem status over FA Cup but then winning is a habit we desperately need.

edgeofpanic
23-03-22, 10:07
Like others have posted here. I lived through the 1980s (born in 70). I remember the Thatcher and Regan years. I remember reading scary headlines and other things. I watched the panorama program "if the bomb drops". I had panic attacks as a kid and nightmares, it wasnt nice and I've buried it deep down. The Ukraine war has unfortunately unearthed a lot of these feelings and I find it wholly irresponsible of even what you'd call "reputible" news websites throwing the "nuclear" word into headlines. They literally have no idea how this can trigger feelings of panic and anxiety for some people.

I've read some of the posts here and I commend all of your with your rational replies and thinking and I agree, it has never before and still makes no logical sense why anyone would ever want to use such weapons, it would be like knocking all the pieces off of a chess board in order to win the game. Totally illogical.

Yet I still feel compelled to chase headlines, its obsessive behaviour and I'm trying to correct it, but its a long journey for me. Longer term anxiety can, and has for me led into depression. So since the start of this year with all the anxiety I've put myself through, now I experience parts of my day with feelings of intense sadness and loss, I'm not afraid to say that I've had times when I've just sat and just broken down and wept like nothing before. I have children and putting on a brave face has been insanely difficult at times. I'm lucky that I am in therapy, time will tell if that helps. I try to eat well, avoid alcohol (not always easy) and sleep well. Excercise is a very powerful tool in your battle against anxiety, a 15 min run each day can really make a difference. I know I am doing this to myself, someone bought me a very good book recently which I'm finding quite useful: https://www.waterstones.com/book/why-has-nobody-told-me-this-before/dr-julie-smith/9780241529713

As an earlier poster (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?247413-Fearful-anxious-scared-of-dying-from-nuclear-attack&p=2038147#post2038147) said in this thread - "We have to live in the moment and embrace it, or this is no life at all"

So when I walk the dog in the morning, and see signs of spring I tell myself "this is what matters", I hug my kids when they go to school and when they come home, I speak with family and friends. I'm honest about what Im going through but I dont burden them with my worries. I take one day at a time. If religion works for you try the serenity prayer. I wish you all the very best of dealing with your anxiety, we have it in our lives as its part of us. If we can learn to to live with it and manage it, then we will reach a place of what we can call peace in our minds.

Cheers all!

pulisa
23-03-22, 13:41
Fantastic post..Thank you for putting your thoughts into such insightful words.

Remember the good and simple things in life and take comfort where you can. Don't feel compelled to seek out triggers..Remember the consequences of these behaviours.

Lencoboy
23-03-22, 13:47
Fantastic post..Thank you for putting your thoughts into such insightful words.

Remember the good and simple things in life and take comfort where you can. Don't feel compelled to seek out triggers..Remember the consequences of these behaviours.

You were also partly correct in your predictions the other week about the daily papers eventually backing off the Ukraine thing a bit as the conflict wore on, plus I already mentioned yesterday in Phil's 'Bad anxiety' thread that over the past few days the papers have seemingly been front-paging the Ukraine conflict less and focusing on other things instead on their front pages.

pulisa
23-03-22, 16:52
Yes it looks like the Ukraine situation is becoming more "routine" (in terms of public interest here) and we're more concerned about how much it costs to fill up our cars...

That's how it goes... so long as we're not directly threatened. Then it would be a Different Story.

Lencoboy
23-03-22, 17:07
That's how it goes... so long as we're not directly threatened. Then it would be a Different Story.

Thankfully no signs of that so far, and fingers crossed that things don't escalate to that point.

Peterthegreatworrier
25-03-22, 05:36
That's a very good point!
Although I certainly wasn't around during the Cold War (I was a few years too late), I have a book which gives a pretty interesting snapshot of the era, a compilation of significant news stories for every month of the 20th century up to 1989. You can get a good idea about how many 'grave crises' there were. Korea, Berlin blockade, Berlin Wall, US spy plane incident, Suez Canal, Cuban Missile Crisis of course, Soviet invasion of Hungary, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Regan era tensions and American interventions, etc. I'm sure I probably left out a lot.

I'm sure we've learnt a lot from all these close calls.

pulisa
25-03-22, 08:16
We didn't know about what was going on in such a detailed way because wall to wall news coverage didn't exist then. And maybe we didn't need to at the time?

Panicattacka
25-03-22, 10:46
We didn't know about what was going on in such a detailed way because wall to wall news coverage didn't exist then. And maybe we didn't need to at the time?

We didn't have 24/7 rolling news and the dreaded 'breaking news' alerts, and we didn't have social media either. These are the two big new variables in the current crisis, and the degree to which they might drive or at least influence policy by the major players is hard to quantify. Time will tell.

Lencoboy
25-03-22, 12:31
I agree wholeheartedly that 24/7 rolling news channels, social media, etc, and in particular the hyperbolic, clichéd 'BREAKING NEWS' banners that seem to dominate our TV and online news media nowadays most certainly exacerbate the situation, and not just with this Ukraine thing, but with other issues such as Covid, the cost of living crisis, and of course violent crime and general terror threats, most of which probably wouldn't have registered in quite the same ways some 25-30 years ago (and before), pre-Internet and 24/7 rolling news channels.

NoraB
26-03-22, 08:21
I agree wholeheartedly that 24/7 rolling news channels, social media, etc, and in particular the hyperbolic, clichéd 'BREAKING NEWS' banners that seem to dominate our TV and online news media nowadays most certainly exacerbate the situation, and not just with this Ukraine thing, but with other issues such as Covid, the cost of living crisis, and of course violent crime and general terror threats, most of which probably wouldn't have registered in quite the same ways some 25-30 years ago (and before), pre-Internet and 24/7 rolling news channels.

I know how easy it is for me to get sucked into other people's misery (as well as my own shite) and I know only too well what that does to me so I try to choose comedy, walking in the woods, and daydreaming about Me, Tom Hardy, and a bottle of chip oil. :D

I was in my teens when that nuclear threat happened in the 80s. I remember being at school talking about this. Well, everybody else was talking. I was hyperventilating, as was my norm..

The reality is that there will always be some drama going on. There always has been. There always will be. As humans, we're doing a terrific job of buggering everything up aren't we? It's just that everything's instant now, including bad news. Something horrible happens and somebody's filming it on their phone & sharing it on social media. In days before social media and smart phones, they used to actually help? While we have no control of what's going on around us, we do get to control our exposure to it and for people who struggle with anxiety & panic disorder I'd say it's imperative that we choose to steer clear of the drama as much as possible..

It's easy said though eh? Sometimes I only know I am struggling when the panic attacks ramp up and the nightmares come back. I'm a bugger for police procedural dramas like Happy Valley (misnomer if ever there was one) but they're no good for my MH. I notice how my heart rate flies up when I'm watching Peaky Blinders, especially when it all goes slo-mo and even more so when Tom's on screen as Alfie, even with his milky eye..:emot-yum:

I think that this over-exposure to the news is creating indifference in some people? I'd never, ever want to be indifferent to people's suffering. I don't want to be consumed by it either, but my brain is wired to the latter so it's always work in progress to keep myself in check by avoiding the news and tailoring my social media feed. You strike me as the same here Lenco? As in, you can become obsessive & consumed by the drama that goes on around us?

And on that note I am off to buy the grumpy teen a pair of walking shoes for our hols. Dude communicates in grunts and glares these days. He isn't non-verbal, he just can't be arsed to speak to us anymore.

Wish me luck! :whistles:

Lencoboy
26-03-22, 12:05
I know how easy it is for me to get sucked into other people's misery (as well as my own shite) and I know only too well what that does to me so I try to choose comedy, walking in the woods, and daydreaming about Me, Tom Hardy, and a bottle of chip oil. :D

I was in my teens when that nuclear threat happened in the 80s. I remember being at school talking about this. Well, everybody else was talking. I was hyperventilating, as was my norm..

The reality is that there will always be some drama going on. There always has been. There always will be. As humans, we're doing a terrific job of buggering everything up aren't we? It's just that everything's instant now, including bad news. Something horrible happens and somebody's filming it on their phone & sharing it on social media. In days before social media and smart phones, they used to actually help? While we have no control of what's going on around us, we do get to control our exposure to it and for people who struggle with anxiety & panic disorder I'd say it's imperative that we choose to steer clear of the drama as much as possible..

It's easy said though eh? Sometimes I only know I am struggling when the panic attacks ramp up and the nightmares come back. I'm a bugger for police procedural dramas like Happy Valley (misnomer if ever there was one) but they're no good for my MH. I notice how my heart rate flies up when I'm watching Peaky Blinders, especially when it all goes slo-mo and even more so when Tom's on screen as Alfie, even with his milky eye..:emot-yum:

I think that this over-exposure to the news is creating indifference in some people? I'd never, ever want to be indifferent to people's suffering. I don't want to be consumed by it either, but my brain is wired to the latter so it's always work in progress to keep myself in check by avoiding the news and tailoring my social media feed. You strike me as the same here Lenco? As in, you can become obsessive & consumed by the drama that goes on around us?

And on that note I am off to buy the grumpy teen a pair of walking shoes for our hols. Dude communicates in grunts and glares these days. He isn't non-verbal, he just can't be arsed to speak to us anymore.

Wish me luck! :whistles:

I wish you all the best of luck in the world Nora.

As far as major public panics are concerned, twas ever thus to a certain extent Nora, as there always has been and probably always will be some kind of 'bogeyman' to be scared of, including the original 'Cold War' back in the 70s and 80s.

I think you're probably right in the sense that the media overdoing certain scare stories can make some people more blasé about the 'scares' concerned to the point where they eventually start to think nothing but 'meh'. For example, hardly anyone seems to bat an eyelid over Covid anymore.

On the other hand, the media overdoing certain scare stories (e.g, violent crime, ASB, c*@v culture, etc) can actually make the 'perpetrators' feel even more compelled to indulge in their offensive antics, especially for the sake of their 'fifteen minutes of fame' by getting their names into the papers, etc, and inadvertently perpetuating the cycle of fear and paranoia.

NoraB
27-03-22, 06:58
I wish you all the best of luck in the world Nora.

It didn't go well. He hates trying on shoes. His social communication went tits up. We usually try to get him to buy his own stuff (life skills innit) but there was no chance yesterday.. It'll have been worth it though when he can go out walking along the coast with his camera when we're on our hols. :yesyes:

pulisa
27-03-22, 08:19
I'm sure he gave the sales assistant an interesting morning though..:D Getting "new" stuff is always a challenge for my 2.

conan
29-03-22, 07:01
not strictly on topic but my big soapbox issue these days is: the world is quite rapidly getting better and, despite it being quite provably true, you cannot convince anyone of it. try, for example,

https://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7272929/global-poverty-health-crime-literacy-good-news
https://www.cato.org/commentary/things-are-getting-better-really-they-are

and interestingly, re: people's inability or unwillingness to believe good news,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2020/06/20/things-keep-getting-better-heres-why-your-brain-thinks-theyre-getting-worse/?sh=db7b10a87255

we're all here because we've over-evolved to respond to the threat of danger (even when it isn't really present). well, this affects everyone to some extent. there's no selective benefit to feeling like things are good, but there is to feeling like we're on the brink of disaster. that's why surveys consistently show people think things are worse than they are, even when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. and now that we better understand how doomscrolling works, we can see how media outlets benefit from perpetuating this worldview.

that's not to say there aren't real bad things happening - there are and have always been - but things are a whole lot better than they were 100 or 50 or 20 years ago.

NoraB
29-03-22, 07:05
I'm sure he gave the sales assistant an interesting morning though..:D Getting "new" stuff is always a challenge for my 2.

She was very young and I don't think she'd done the module with 'coping with autistic hormonal teenage boys' lol...

NoraB
29-03-22, 07:31
we're all here because we've over-evolved to respond to the threat of danger (even when it isn't really present). well, this affects everyone to some extent. there's no selective benefit to feeling like things are good, but there is to feeling like we're on the brink of disaster. that's why surveys consistently show people think things are worse than they are, even when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. and now that we better understand how doomscrolling works, we can see how media outlets benefit from perpetuating this worldview.

I agree with the first part of the above. And it's the reason this forum exists but I don't agree that there is no benefit to what's good. There are health benefits to positivity. It lowers depression and levels of pain (I can testify to both of those). Positivity helps people to feel well, physically and psychologically so how can there possibly be 'no benefit'? :unsure:

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-22, 07:47
Has anyone seen that new TV drama The Fear Index? From the ad it looks like what we are talking about.

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-22, 07:49
She was very young and I don't think she'd done the module with 'coping with autistic hormonal teenage boys' lol...

What? No certificate up on the wall proclaiming the business to have 'awareness'? :winks:

conan
29-03-22, 09:42
I agree with the first part of the above. And it's the reason this forum exists but I don't agree that there is no benefit to what's good. There are health benefits to positivity. It lowers depression and levels of pain (I can testify to both of those). Positivity helps people to feel well, physically and psychologically so how can there possibly be 'no benefit'? :unsure:

yeah you're absolutely right here, but i suppose in terms of "staying alive" not as much of a benefit as, you know, being able to get away from the tiger or whatever pressing matters our ancestors were up against.

NoraB
29-03-22, 13:26
What? No certificate up on the wall proclaiming the business to have 'awareness'? :winks:

That assistant was well aware of my lad lol. He was a walking mood. Took an ice-cream and a Subway bribe him into taking off his trainer to try the boot on. :huh:

NoraB
29-03-22, 14:07
yeah you're absolutely right here, but i suppose in terms of "staying alive" not as much of a benefit as, you know, being able to get away from the tiger or whatever pressing matters our ancestors were up against.

Gotcha.

To ne honest, I could do with an encounter with a tiger right now as my colon's gone on strike again...:unsure:

Gary A
02-04-22, 02:57
The past month has shown our stupid species for what we are. Since early 2020 we were “all in this together”,we were combatting an invisible enemy, following rules that were completely alien to any man woman or child walking this earth. Now? I don’t know. Silly little insecure men brandishing their biggest toy in order to exert control against some small corner of this ball of rock that we’re all lucky enough to call home.

The sad thing is that the war in Ukraine is just another example of things that are going on within this planet every day. The only difference is that we can relate to the folk that are suffering, largely because their society is not too dissimilar to ours.

I’m far less concerned about the threat of nuclear weapons or whatever, as I am about the absolute absurdity surrounding our species. I wish I could answer the question that keeps popping into my head, but I can’t. The question?;

Why is it that we genuinely always find new and wonderful ways and reasons to hurt each other? I’ll leave this long and rambling post with a word from the best scientist that ever lived. Carl Sagan. Telling us all about the ultimate folly of thinking we are bigger than we really are.

https://youtu.be/wupToqz1e2g

NoraB
02-04-22, 07:03
Why is it that we genuinely always find new and wonderful ways and reasons to hurt each other?

Humans are the glory and the scum of the universe. Blaise Pascal

I'd say that what's happening in the Ukraine is a perfect example of the above. A power pissed bully (to put it lightly) and ordinary humans who are going above & beyond to help those affected by the war.

loonarider77
19-04-22, 16:22
I'm back after a few months of ignorance is bliss. Thank you for all your posts. Love Carl Sagan btw.

Ok, I'm back because it appears that members of my family don't care about my wishes concerning not wanting to hear about the war, nuclear threats,etc.

Just now, my big bro sent me this , and of course, I freaked out and now can't eat and I was looking forward to eating.

When you tell you brother to stop sending messages about war this is why you get.

"Have you heard? On Russian tv they're broadcasting that Britain are gonna send nukes to Russia, and you know what that means ...."

Yea, dot dot dot. He's evil, he knows I suffer terribly with anxiety and explicitly said to stop talking to me about the war and sending me news articles.

And I'm back to square 1 - thinking Russia will nuke us very soon. Argh!! So sick of this. There are some things you can't control, I get that, but simply asking family members to respect my wishes is like squeezing blood out of a stone.

P.s. in the end I had to block my brother on WhatsApp

Also, is Putin finding an excuse to nuke us? My brother is such a d*ck sometimes

Confusion
19-04-22, 17:47
I'm back after a few months of ignorance is bliss. Thank you for all your posts. Love Carl Sagan btw.

Ok, I'm back because it appears that members of my family don't care about my wishes concerning not wanting to hear about the war, nuclear threats,etc.

Just now, my big bro sent me this , and of course, I freaked out and now can't eat and I was looking forward to eating.

When you tell you brother to stop sending messages about war this is why you get.

"Have you heard? On Russian tv they're broadcasting that Britain are gonna send nukes to Russia, and you know what that means ...."

Yea, dot dot dot. He's evil, he knows I suffer terribly with anxiety and explicitly said to stop talking to me about the war and sending me news articles.

And I'm back to square 1 - thinking Russia will nuke us very soon. Argh!! So sick of this. There are some things you can't control, I get that, but simply asking family members to respect my wishes is like squeezing blood out of a stone.

P.s. in the end I had to block my brother on WhatsApp

Also, is Putin finding an excuse to nuke us? My brother is such a d*ck sometimes

Hi Loona,

Please try to relax. What's happened is that some propagandist on Russian state TV, who is well known for saying controversial things (kind of an Alex Jones type) has said during a talk show debate that Britain is brainwashing its public against Moscow and that Britain COULD be preparing to use tactical nukes against Russia. Which of course is absolute nonsense. This isn't being broadcast as news. It was a comments made by a conspiracy theorist on Russian TV. Nothing more. Believe me, I'm worried about all of this stuff but this is absolutely nothing to worry about.

loonarider77
19-04-22, 18:07
Thank you Confusion,

Really appreciate your response and putting me at ease.

So a Russian version of Alex Jones. Usually conspiracy theories hold no weight factually so I'm going to eat now as my appetite has returned after reading your post.

Thanks again! And I'm told my brother that if he wants to chat, no war talk. X

spectrum123
19-04-22, 20:36
It's pretty well known that the UK nuclear deterant, which of course are US supplied, cannot be launched without US permission.

Lencoboy
20-04-22, 07:32
Thank you Confusion,

Really appreciate your response and putting me at ease.

So a Russian version of Alex Jones. Usually conspiracy theories hold no weight factually so I'm going to eat now as my appetite has returned after reading your post.

Thanks again! And I'm told my brother that if he wants to chat, no war talk. X

Sounds like your brother is a bit of a romancer/gossiper who possibly gets kicks out of speculation like this.

There was no mention of this on the BBC nor Sky News last night so it must be some conspiracy theorist in Russia on a wind-up.

Spectrum also said that the UK would first of all have to have approval from the USA and wouldn't be able to just push the red button willy-nilly!

Protocols to follow, and all that.

loonarider77
05-05-22, 22:15
I'm so sorry I'm here scared to death again.

This in the newspapers:
'Vote Tory for chance of nuclear war' Dominic Cummings in sensational election day attack'

3hrs ago.

All I wanted to do was check the election news :(

I'm sick of feeling like an attack is imminent

Pamplemousse
06-05-22, 04:51
Nope. Cummings is a vain idiot, a verbose and unpleasant individual who has zero credibility any more. He is the personification of what's known as "Dunning-Kruger" (look it up}. He craves attention.

Darksky
06-05-22, 09:26
If Dominic Cummings told me today was Friday I wouldn’t believe him.

Hes a man with his own agenda and a huge axe to grind since he got kicked out. Don’t know why he’s given air space. Can’t stick him.

Lencoboy
06-05-22, 10:33

This in the newspapers:
'Vote Tory for chance of nuclear war' Dominic Cummings in sensational election day attack'

3hrs ago.

As much as I would never be seen dead voting Conservative, that does come across as extremely distasteful from Mr Cummings (or should be Mr Cunnings)!

I also think the papers concerned should hang their heads in shame for such OTT scaremongering stuff, especially where highly sensitive topics like nukes are referenced.

'Crying wolf' also springs to mind here.

Surely Putin and Co don't give a flying fig over our local council election results right now as reason to press the red button our way, they're more concerned about capturing Ukraine right now!

ETA, We're still here and haven't been annihilated due to yesterday's elections.

Surely the UK's annual local council elections and their results barely have any impact on or implications for the rest of the world.

General elections, however, are a completely different kettle of fish.

Surely Mr Cunnings is trying to come up with a non-story to provoke mass outrage (and inadvertently sell papers).

Kind of ironic that Cunnings previously seemed to side with both Boris and the Tory Party in general, and even appeared to be 'PM-by-proxy' at one point!

Once a lot of this has eventually blown over, Cunnings will no doubt be back to having digs at Labour once again, and talking about them as if they're the Devil Party!

Pamplemousse
06-05-22, 16:47

This in the newspapers:

3hrs ago.

An interesting one from, of all places, the Daily M**l today:

An order by Vladimir Putin to strike Ukraine or the West with nuclear weapons would be ignored by his top commanders, a senior investigative journalist has said.

Many leading military and security officials as well as oligarch cronies believe Putin to be dying or gravely ill, said Christo Grozev, who is an expert on Russian affairs and is associated with the Bellingcat open source research group.

Believing that Putin could soon die, his inner circle would not risk being hauled before a modern equivalent of the Nuremberg trials for unleashing Armageddon, nor would they obey a Putin order to kill opposition foes, Mr Grozev claimed.

Lencoboy
06-05-22, 17:38
An interesting one from, of all places, the Daily M**l today:

Oh ah!!

loonarider77
06-05-22, 19:42
Can I just say I'm so appreciative of all your insights. They've really helped to calm me down when I'm freaking out. I'm in my 40s studying for a Natural Sciences degree, and I've been finding it terribly hard to concentrate and work on my assignments in this current climate. So thank you all again for alleviating any worries; it makes things manageable. x

pulisa
06-05-22, 20:05
Good luck with the studying and please remember that "Armageddon" will be relegated off the front pages of the red tops tomorrow in view of today's local election results. Also Harry and Meghan's "banishment" will be a talking point so you'll be able to appreciate how fickle the gutter press can be in terms of "leading" stories...

Try not to fall for the sensationalist headline/article..The rumour mill is toxic and feeds off anxious people.

Pamplemousse
06-05-22, 21:21
Can I just say I'm so appreciative of all your insights. They've really helped to calm me down when I'm freaking out. I'm in my 40s studying for a Natural Sciences degree, and I've been finding it terribly hard to concentrate and work on my assignments in this current climate. So thank you all again for alleviating any worries; it makes things manageable. x

Glad to help :)

Here's a little insight into a similar thing that greatly upset my six year old mind: circa 1971 a Maltese politician - Dom Mintoff - wanted to throw out the British Forces on the island of Malta. Unfortunately the way the newspapers portrayed it (particularly the Daily Mirror), little PM thought he wanted us to leave Britain and so he went into a deep little depression, to the puzzlement of his mother and grandmother as he didn't want to talk about it. In my mind's eye I can still see little myself standing in my Nan's house by her radiogram (it was to the right of the fireplace at that time in the living room) with my Mum and Nan asking me why I was so upset.

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 08:06
Glad to help :)

Here's a little insight into a similar thing that greatly upset my six year old mind: circa 1971 a Maltese politician - Dom Mintoff - wanted to throw out the British Forces on the island of Malta. Unfortunately the way the newspapers portrayed it (particularly the Daily Mirror), little PM thought he wanted us to leave Britain and so he went into a deep little depression, to the puzzlement of his mother and grandmother as he didn't want to talk about it. In my mind's eye I can still see little myself standing in my Nan's house by her radiogram (it was to the right of the fireplace at that time in the living room) with my Mum and Nan asking me why I was so upset.

Blimey PM, when I was 6 I was totally oblivious to newspapers and the news in general, despite all the endless talk of Armageddon back in 1983-84 which seemed to be when all the original Cold War hysteria was coming to a head, which of course I was totally unaware of at the time.

Ditto for the various IRA attacks and also (race) riots in many of our big cities and even some of our larger towns up and down the country, plus a lot of the other horrible things going on at that time.

Innocence and ignorance really was bliss for me back then in the mid 80s, but had I been 44-45 (the age I am now) back then, I probably would have been terrified witless!

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 08:25
Good luck with the studying and please remember that "Armageddon" will be relegated off the front pages of the red tops tomorrow in view of today's local election results. Also Harry and Meghan's "banishment" will be a talking point so you'll be able to appreciate how fickle the gutter press can be in terms of "leading" stories...

Try not to fall for the sensationalist headline/article..The rumour mill is toxic and feeds off anxious people.

Your dead right in the sense that the media are very fickle, especially as I walk past a large newspaper stand in my local train station every Tuesday and Thursday morning and the front page headlines about Armageddon (in the context of Putin/Russia/Ukraine) have been much less generally over recent weeks. Even Covid now seems to be water under the bridge as far as the media are concerned, as it's even getting virtually zilch coverage on the BBC and Sky News channels, let alone the front pages of our national daily rags.

Also ISIS and their attendant threats and acid attackers barely seem to get the same media attention of late compared to up until around 2018 or so when the media were forever putting the fear of God into us over them.

loonarider77
06-06-22, 09:05
So my father sent a YouTube video on the family WhatsApp group. I saw the title and it had nuclear, Russia in it and of course I freaked out and left the group asap.

Is a nuclear attack due soon? As I'd like to order some alcohol in.

Thank you.

P.s. Really trying to live life and not think about the threat looming over us. As soon as I forget, then I get a reminder.

I'm not sure how to cope with this.

Lencoboy
06-06-22, 21:59
So my father sent a YouTube video on the family WhatsApp group. I saw the title and it had nuclear, Russia in it and of course I freaked out and left the group asap.

Is a nuclear attack due soon? As I'd like to order some alcohol in.

Thank you.

P.s. Really trying to live life and not think about the threat looming over us. As soon as I forget, then I get a reminder.

I'm not sure how to cope with this.

I haven't seen nor heard any talk of an imminent nuclear attack on the UK on neither the BBC nor Sky News channels today as it's all been about Boris and the confidence vote.

Over the weekend it was all about the Jubilee with scenes of loads of people packed into central London all having a fab time without a care in the world, which of course would have been a prime target for both a nuke attack (and terrorist attacks in general) and/or riots, and all seemed to pass peacefully with no major incidents reported, apart from the protesters near St Paul's Cathedral (I think) on Thursday.

Anyway, what would Mr Putin really gain from attacking us right now?

loonarider77
06-06-22, 23:03
Thank you Lencoboy,

You're a voice of reason (amongst many others on this forum) when I'm feeling like this. I'm sure all getting sick of me posting in this thread, but it's because I know or at least I hope someone will help me to be rational about it all.

Thanks again :)