PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol and Asthma

RVP
03-03-22, 20:36
So I was given these meds as I didn’t want to take setraline. My doctor has given 10mg just to start me off as a low dose.

My Dr mentioned when I was 6 I had virus induced wheeze apparently a lot of kids get this? I’m now 30 but because she said I’m now scared to take it even though I don’t actually have asthma. I want to take something as my anxiety is terrible at the moment

glassgirlw
04-03-22, 01:58
You’re worrying about something you had when you were 6 years old and haven’t had since (I assume) - I think if your doctor was at all concerned, they would not have prescribed you the meds. I’m the last person to preach about med taking because I don’t take any myself lol - but I do think if you were prescribed it by a medical professional that knows your history, you’re safe!

panic_down_under
04-03-22, 08:38
So I was given these meds as I didn’t want to take setraline.

Is it sertraline specifically, or SSRIs/antidepressants generally that you're worried about?

My Dr mentioned when I was 6 I had virus induced wheeze apparently a lot of kids get this? I’m now 30 but because she said I’m now scared to take it even though I don’t actually have asthma.

Propranolol wouldn't necessarily be ruled out even if you had asthma which seems very unlikely. There are about as many studies which found it helped asthma as there are saying it shouldn't be prescribed. Unfortunately, a lot of them have been small scale with only a handful of participants which can often produce these contradictory results.

I want to take something as my anxiety is terrible at the moment

ADs are a better long term bet than beta-blockers and the like as they act on the underlying physical cause (as do the cognitive/behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc) and mindfulness therapies).

Jennifer Weaver
04-03-22, 11:16
Propranalol is an emergency drug and some of the side effects as well. It is used in anesthesia as well, a great painkiller and have sedative quality as well. The patient of asthama are also sometimes depend upon this drug. Asthama is a respiratory disorder. We have seen a large number of people are suffering from this disease.