PDA

View Full Version : Does your GP do this?

Limeslime
08-03-22, 18:45
Please guys, can someone talk me down.
I went to my GP about some breast changes (indentations). She said she thinks they’re just caused by stretching of the skin, but to come back in 6 weeks so she can make sure they don’t change any further. Fair enough.

So I planned to ring up nearer the time and book the follow up, BUT here’s the thing….less than an hour later, the GP’s receptionist called me to book the follow up appointment in 6 weeks.
Now I’ve convinced myself that the GP must be doubting herself if she is so eager to make sure I attend that follow up. This has never happened to me before, and it has really spooked me!
I hadn’t been to my GP for over 2 years, (at the height of my HA I used to go every 2 weeks!) but I explained to her about my history of HA and how I found it quite triggering to be back with another breast concern. She was a dr that I had never seen before.
Is this normal now? Do GPs do this now?
Can someone please talk me down.

Lynz32
08-03-22, 19:09
If you told her about your HA, then she probably told the receptionist to book you in for a follow up as a way to try and reassure you. My GP does this because she thinks she is being helpful. When my HA was really bad she would book me in for a follow up in a few weeks time to see how I was getting on, but actually it made me worse. On the other hand she is probably just being thorough in her job. I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

.Poppy.
08-03-22, 20:36
My old doctor retired, and my new doctor is big on follow ups. Their procedure is actually to have people book the follow up appointment before they leave the office, if they can.

Working in admin myself (research) I personally think it's probably to keep things in order and make sure people who need appointments get them. We are all human, we get busy and forget to do things, so it's easier to build it into office procedures + get things sorted while they are fresh.

Very likely it's just an admin change.

behappy
09-03-22, 15:41
100% normal, my docs do the same thing. They just tell the front desk to schedule a follow up and they do it.

Catkins
09-03-22, 17:33
I think it's just to make sure you get an appointment. Imagine if you had to go through the usual rigmarol of phoning first thing in the morning to get on the call list, then be telephone triaged before they give you the appointment. At my practice they usual give you a slip of paper to take back to reception to book any follow-up appointments before you leave. The doctor maybe forgot to do this, hence the admin phoning you to make it.

Limeslime
11-03-22, 14:37
Thank you so much everyone, you’ve all really helped settle my nerves! My anxiety is just so high that I’m over analysing everything.