PDA

View Full Version : Empty pumps

Darksky
12-03-22, 21:05
Unbelievably people are draining the fuel pumps again :mad:

I get people are panicking about increasing prices but to empty the pumps!

we need diesel so on the way back from my mothers tonight we called at Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys. All were empty and the pumps closed. Again people aren’t filling up as normal, they are panicking about prices and filling to the brim and causing yet another shortage.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just idiots round here?

spectrum123
12-03-22, 21:55
Seems only to be diesel though. All the stations I went past today had unleaded and no queues, but empty of diesel.
I suspect the trucks and vans have been told by their companies to fill up as prices are going up during the day around here?

Lencoboy
13-03-22, 12:12
It's as if there's some kind of tribal element to this that some people seem to revel in the excitement of!

We saw it before with the previous bout of fuel panic buying last autumn, and of course with the early pandemic toilet roll panic buying exactly 2 years ago.

And don't get me started on Black Friday, though that's supposedly toned itself down a bit over more recent years.

spectrum123
13-03-22, 12:51
My local garage, which I don't use as it was a rip before this, put fuel up twice a day for 3 days in a row, talk about cashing in.
Low income families could really be hit if prices are sustained or continue to increase, and we'll all pay the price with freight costs.

pulisa
13-03-22, 14:10
I have a diesel car and the price is horrendous in the south east. I haven't noticed any shortages of diesel...yet...but no doubt it will happen. I have to take my daughter to her job at a farm which is out in the country but that's it.

Darksky
13-03-22, 14:31
Well that was like going back in time to last Autumn.:mad:

we had to risk our scant fuel and see if we could get some this morning. Tesco must have had a delivery but the queues were off the forecourt and down the road. It was mayhem, plenty of horns being sounded.
I think we paid 1.65 for diesel but at least we have fuel.

We wouldn’t normally join the crazy party but my mother has a shed load of appointments to get to…legs, feet, hearing etc. Once you get appointments you have to hang onto them for dear life, or go back to the end of the queue.

But seeing what was happening this morning there will be empty pumps again by tonight :lac:

Pamplemousse
13-03-22, 15:34
None of this going on in my part of the world, all seems sensible and normal. I paid about £1.55/litre for petrol today, bringing a tankful (which I needed as I'm at work three days this week and the yellow pump light was permanently lit) perilously close to £100.

Mind you, there's as much as 20p/litre difference between garages, and I think I saw £1.88 for a litre of diesel on my way home from work on Friday night?

pulisa
13-03-22, 19:50
Diesel has been £1.79/litre here but it's fallen back a bit over the last couple of days.

I bet taxi fares are astronomical now.

Glad you got your diesel today, Darksky. I will try and get some myself tomorrow and thanks for the tip off.

Lencoboy
13-03-22, 21:00
My dad put diesel in his Ford Kuga earlier today when he popped to B&Q to by a new tap for the kitchen sink (which I kindly helped him to fit), and he never saw any signs of fuel shortages nor any queues of vehicles snaking around the corner from the forecourt in pursuit of panic buying.

Fishmanpa
13-03-22, 21:52
Here in the States, there's plenty of supply but yeah, the prices are going through the roof! My opinion of it is that there are no shortages here. Biden is blaming the Russian war with Ukraine but that's BS. The US gets 3% of its crude from Russia and only 1% of it is processed into gasoline. Others are blaming Biden for shutting down the XL pipeline but that's BS too. That pipeline was bringing tar sand from Canada and again, only a very small percentage was being processed into fuel. According to eia.gov, the US is exporting more than we ever have. We have ample supplies and reserves and despite the restrictions on drilling on some natural areas (which frankly, I'm glad to see), they have plenty of land to develop into oil and gas supplies.

No, again IMO, this is big oil corporate bending us over and sticking it to us. Think about it, they lost billions in the last two years with the demand falling through the floor during the pandemic and now?, we're coming out of the pandemic, people are returning to the workplace and traveling again and they have to make up the lost revenue. On top of that its political too. The tax breaks the oil companies get from mostly Republican politicians and the fact the corporations fund these politicians plays a part too. Then you have the Democrats pushing green energy and the picture becomes clearer.

All I know is I'm glad my SUV gets 25+ around town and I'm working from home. Heck, a tank lasts me a month+ but it does suck to be paying $30 more to fill it :mad: Inflation is another aspect of all this. Its like trickle down 'screw the people' economics. As an example, and I know its pennies but there are dozens of examples I can speak of, from this one to meats to everything else. I drink Gatorade Zero. Nearly zero calories, no sugar and electrolytes for healthy hydration. Been doing so for close to 10 years since my cancer. An 8pak cost $4.99 for as long as I can remember. Now it's a dollar more. And the bigger bottles? They have 32oz bottles that used to cost $.99 and slowly but surely they're phasing them out with 28oz bottles that cost $.20 more! The big corps are sticking it to us and we're powerless to stop them!

And as some have said, the media plays a big part of this as they distract from the reality. The almighty dollar speaks louder and is more powerful than anything else and greed, which has been part of human nature since the beginning of history, plays a big part too.

All we can and should be doing, is make the best of difficult situations and enjoy the blessings and positives in our lives.

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-22, 06:39
My evidence of empty pumps...

https://www.whittakersschoolwear.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/elastic-pump.jpg

...:whistles:

spectrum123
14-03-22, 07:31
Showing your age there Terry!

Lencoboy
14-03-22, 07:47
My evidence of empty pumps...

https://www.whittakersschoolwear.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/elastic-pump.jpg

...:whistles:

I knew that one was coming (lol)!

Lencoboy
14-03-22, 08:00
Here in the States, there's plenty of supply but yeah, the prices are going through the roof! My opinion of it is that there are no shortages here. Biden is blaming the Russian war with Ukraine but that's BS. The US gets 3% of its crude from Russia and only 1% of it is processed into gasoline. Others are blaming Biden for shutting down the XL pipeline but that's BS too. That pipeline was bringing tar sand from Canada and again, only a very small percentage was being processed into fuel. According to eia.gov, the US is exporting more than we ever have. We have ample supplies and reserves and despite the restrictions on drilling on some natural areas (which frankly, I'm glad to see), they have plenty of land to develop into oil and gas supplies.

No, again IMO, this is big oil corporate bending us over and sticking it to us. Think about it, they lost billions in the last two years with the demand falling through the floor during the pandemic and now?, we're coming out of the pandemic, people are returning to the workplace and traveling again and they have to make up the lost revenue. On top of that its political too. The tax breaks the oil companies get from mostly Republican politicians and the fact the corporations fund these politicians plays a part too. Then you have the Democrats pushing green energy and the picture becomes clearer.

All I know is I'm glad my SUV gets 25+ around town and I'm working from home. Heck, a tank lasts me a month+ but it does suck to be paying $30 more to fill it :mad: Inflation is another aspect of all this. Its like trickle down 'screw the people' economics. As an example, and I know its pennies but there are dozens of examples I can speak of, from this one to meats to everything else. I drink Gatorade Zero. Nearly zero calories, no sugar and electrolytes for healthy hydration. Been doing so for close to 10 years since my cancer. An 8pak cost $4.99 for as long as I can remember. Now it's a dollar more. And the bigger bottles? They have 32oz bottles that used to cost $.99 and slowly but surely they're phasing them out with 28oz bottles that cost $.20 more! The big corps are sticking it to us and we're powerless to stop them!

And as some have said, the media plays a big part of this as they distract from the reality. The almighty dollar speaks louder and is more powerful than anything else and greed, which has been part of human nature since the beginning of history, plays a big part too.

All we can and should be doing, is make the best of difficult situations and enjoy the blessings and positives in our lives.

FMP

Some interesting and thought-provoking commentary there FMP.

You're correct in that there's a multitude of factors responsible for a lot of these fuel price increases (and general inflation) worldwide of late.

I also agree with you that we should be making the best of these current difficult times, counting our blessings, and fostering a sense of togetherness, not friction, division and polarisation.

I know it's easier said than done though, especially as I posted in another thread yesterday that it's often difficult to be positive when we're constantly being bombarded with endless bad news all the time.

pulisa
14-03-22, 08:33
Some interesting and thought-provoking commentary there FMP.

You're correct in that there's a multitude of factors responsible for a lot of these fuel price increases (and general inflation) worldwide of late.

I also agree with you that we should be making the best of these current difficult times, counting our blessings, and fostering a sense of togetherness, not friction, division and polarisation.

I know it's easier said than done though, especially as I posted in another thread yesterday that it's often difficult to be positive when we're constantly being bombarded with endless bad news all the time.

If we choose to be "bombarded" that is..

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-22, 16:22
I knew that one was coming (lol)!

You know me so well :biggrin:

It's a trend coming from 'unusual stool' threads where one of us jokers was bound to post a picture of an interesting one you sit on. :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-22, 16:24
Showing your age there Terry!

Took me right back to school and the days of the dreaded 'forgot your PE kit then do it in your pants' :ohmy:

Darksky
14-03-22, 17:26
I was going to say I hadn’t seen those things since my school days back in the dark ages.

When we had spelling tests and got one wrong we had a whack across the bum with those pumps. Admitted it was only a tap but how times have changed:ohmy:

Carys
14-03-22, 18:20
If we choose to be "bombarded" that is..

Yup ! You can abstain from bombardment if you are selective and careful.

I heard something in the news yesterday that Diesel was going to be rationed shortly, for quite some time.....

pulisa
14-03-22, 20:07
I managed to fill up with diesel today. Just in case (my mantra!:))

I heard on the radio that there had been a lot of diesel related thefts in Norhumberland..Your neck of the woods, Darksky?

Darksky
14-03-22, 21:03
I managed to fill up with diesel today. Just in case (my mantra!:))

I heard on the radio that there had been a lot of diesel related thefts in Norhumberland..Your neck of the woods, Darksky?

Hundreds of miles away Pulisa. But my son struggled to get diesel today. He’s a rep. and needs a lot of fuel travelling for his job.
if no one else is experiencing this I reckon I live in a town full of muppets:mad:

Pamplemousse
14-03-22, 22:18
I was going to say I hadn’t seen those things since my school days back in the dark ages.

When we had spelling tests and got one wrong we had a whack across the bum with those pumps. Admitted it was only a tap but how times have changed:ohmy:

Oh no. Six of those across your arse was second only to the cane in my school. Something I experienced on more than one occasion - the Head of House was only a little bloke but he could certainly wield "the slipper".

spectrum123
14-03-22, 22:22
Hundreds of miles away Pulisa. But my son struggled to get diesel today. He’s a rep. and needs a lot of fuel travelling for his job.
if no one else is experiencing this I reckon I live in a town full of muppets:mad:

The big Tesco's near me (Gloucestershire) was out of diesel when I was filling up on Saturday. My local rip off garage had plenty, though they were charging £1.82, so no surprise they had some!

pulisa
15-03-22, 08:32

Yes but we can all spell which is not something you can say about more recent generations of students!

The ruler was used at my primary school. Yes times have changed!

Darksky
15-03-22, 10:11
We had the slipper, the ruler and for really serious stuff the cane across the hands in front of the school in assembly. I remember one girl moving her hands away repeatedly just at the moment of impact. Boy did that frustrate the head and amused the ‘audience’ to the point of giggling.

I even remember the word that got me the slipper..Usual. I couldn’t get my head around the two u’s round the s.

Yes we can spell but did it make us a better behaved generation? I don’t know and it’s a whole new thread :)

Pamplemousse
15-03-22, 14:09
Yes but we can all spell which is not something you can say about more recent generations of students!

The ruler was used at my primary school. Yes times have changed!

Oh yes, it was at my primary school too.

The thing I want to know is how "of" seems to replacing "have" - as in "could of" rather than "could have" or "could've" and worse still, if you correct people over it, they get really defensive and usually accuse you of being a "grammar Nazi" - my usual response to that is best left unsaid, but the more charitable response is "are you too stupid to accept you're wrong?"

It's not just limited to young'uns either, I've seen (and heard!) much older people use it too - people who really should know better.

Lencoboy
15-03-22, 14:51
We had the slipper, the ruler and for really serious stuff the cane across the hands in front of the school in assembly. I remember one girl moving her hands away repeatedly just at the moment of impact. Boy did that frustrate the head and amused the ‘audience’ to the point of giggling.

I even remember the word that got me the slipper..Usual. I couldn’t get my head around the two u’s round the s.

Yes we can spell but did it make us a better behaved generation? I don’t know and it’s a whole new thread :)

Well my dad told me that it certainly never deterred him from misbehaving, as he also told me that he and his mates could be right Jack-the-lads at times, both at school and elsewhere.

Dare I say it, my dad still isn't the best speller in the world, despite him going through such barbaric ordeals.

Good old days? Over my dead body!

Fishmanpa
16-03-22, 01:01
June 2008: Oil $141.71 a barrel and gas $4.10 a gallon.

March 2022: Oil $99.76 a barrel and gas $4.32 a gallon.

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" - Frank Zappa

FMP

Lencoboy
16-03-22, 08:21
June 2008: Oil $141.71 a barrel and gas $4.10 a gallon.

March 2022: Oil $99.76 a barrel and gas $4.32 a gallon.

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" - Frank Zappa

FMP

Is that what 99 dollars 76 cents (2008 oil) and 4 dollars 32 cents (2008 gas) are in today's money, or the actual prices as quoted at the time? (N.B, I don't have the dollar symbol on my smartphone).

Strange how the March 2022 oil prices are quoted as lower than those of June 2008, but the reverse is true for the corresponding gasoline (petrol) prices.

Also is this worldwide or mostly specific to the USA?

Lencoboy
16-03-22, 08:26
You know me so well :biggrin:

It's a trend coming from 'unusual stool' threads where one of us jokers was bound to post a picture of an interesting one you sit on. :biggrin:

Just thought of another 'empty pumps' gag; that is completely silent and completely odourless farts!

Better keep well away from petrol/diesel pumps (empty or not) prior to letting rip (lol)!

Fishmanpa
16-03-22, 11:19
Is that what 99 dollars 76 cents (2008 oil) and 4 dollars 32 cents (2008 gas) are in today's money, or the actual prices as quoted at the time? (N.B, I don't have the dollar symbol on my smartphone).

Strange how the March 2022 oil prices are quoted as lower than those of June 2008, but the reverse is true for the corresponding gasoline (petrol) prices.

Also is this worldwide or mostly specific to the USA?

The prices were at the time and its specific to the US. All the stats are on eia.gov. You can see oil production stats, prices etc. That's where I gathered the info concerning production and imports/exports.

FMP

Lencoboy
16-03-22, 11:54
The prices were at the time and its specific to the US. All the stats are on eia.gov. You can see oil production stats, prices etc. That's where I gathered the info concerning production and imports/exports.

FMP

Inevitably the 2008 prices, as quoted as they actually were at the time, will be greater in today's money though.

That was also during the time of the Global Financial Crisis, of course.

Fishmanpa
16-03-22, 22:29
Inevitably the 2008 prices, as quoted as they actually were at the time, will be greater in today's money though.

That was also during the time of the Global Financial Crisis, of course.

Still... Just saying...

Profits in 2021...

Exxon - $23 BILLION!
Shell - $19.3 BILLION
Chevron - $15.6 BILLION!
BP - 12.8 BILLION!

And they need more? Rising gas prices are their choice and we're the ones taking it in the rear! They don't have to do this. They want to. Is it any different than what the pharmaceutical companies are doing with drugs like insulin and other meds?

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa

FMP

glassgirlw
16-03-22, 23:48
Prices aren’t too terrible here in Kansas, $3.79 unleaded this morning. My parents are in Southern California and they paid almost $6.00 for unleaded. Craziness. No shortages that I’ve heard of though.

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 00:46
No shortages that I’ve heard of though.

Again, at least in the US, that's true. eia.gov. look at the stats and production. Little or nothing has changed so why the increase? :whistles:

FMP

Lencoboy
17-03-22, 07:04
Again, at least in the US, that's true. eia.gov. look at the stats and production. Little or nothing has changed so why the increase? :whistles:

FMP

Sounds like blatant greed and sheer exploitation of crises to me.

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 11:23
Sounds like blatant greed and sheer exploitation of crises to me.

Which was the point in my initial post.

FMP

glassgirlw
18-03-22, 09:59

FMP

oh, I don’t disagree. This is the pattern that always follows anything major happening around the world. Someone is making money, but it’s not most of us.

Lolalee1
18-03-22, 10:24
Same over here,they are thieves.Our oil “supposedly” comes from Singapore go figure:mad:
You can drive down the road and see different price gouging,the bloody gov gets 44cents a litre they say it’s for road improvements BS,we pay a ridiculous amount to register our cars and our highways are nothing more than goat tracks.
Rant done.

MyNameIsTerry
19-03-22, 06:54
We tend to think about filling up our cars but what of all the oil used in industry? There is a further knock on effect to those power industries that use it at a time of volatility.

My GF, in speaking about Russia, said you know things are bad when Shell and BP are getting all moral.