PDA

View Full Version : Driving myself crazy with "omg what if?!" thoughts after having chest x ray yesterday

GingerFish
16-03-22, 16:21
Yesterday I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and was sent for blood work and a chest x ray by the rheumatologist before I start methotrexate soon. All those tests are normal and for a baseline for treatment. I got them all done yesterday morning and it was my first chest x ray in years and I felt ok about it at the time but ever since I got home all I can think is "oh god what if they find something?!", "What if I've got this or that?!" And bloody obsessing over it. It's all I can think about and I jump every time my phone rings. It's been years since my HA has been this bad to the point I am staying awake in case my phone rings and I get bad news, I am googling excessively, feel nothing but absolute fear and dread in the pit of my stomach, scared to make plans for tomorrow in case I get a call saying they've found something and I need to go to hospital. I've always got some HA but I forgot how debilitating it can be.

What keeps you sane when waiting for results?

.Poppy.
25-03-22, 18:15
Hi GingerFish, I'm sorry you haven't had any responses - waiting in general is really difficult I've found. Did you happen to get your results?

GingerFish
25-03-22, 18:44
Hi, no I still haven't heard anything yet from the hospital or GP. It's been ten days now. I called today to check if the reports are back at the GP yet but they haven't received anything. I'm still nervous but I'd like to believe that after ten days now, if the consultant found anything bad in my blood work or X ray, I'd have been contacted now or my GP would have been told

NoraB
26-03-22, 06:39
I've always got some HA but I forgot how debilitating it can be.

What have you done to address the health anxiety GF?

What keeps you sane when waiting for results?

The answer is that you try to exist in the present moment as much as you can. The reality is that the horrors we imagine for ourselves rarely come to be, and even when shitty things do happen, it's not the end of the world and we often surprise ourselves with how well we cope. This is true of me. I haven't coped at all well with my fearful imaginings but I coped wonderfully with an actual threat to life situation. I like to remind myself of this..

'What if' today you accept your situation for what it really is? That you are waiting for test results but you're not going to allow this to completely dictate your life. Do something nice. Go somewhere nice. Create a positive to associate with this time..

Parents naturally do this with their kids and there are no rules which say that grown ups can't do the same for themselves. I always do this now. I promise myself something nice every time I have to have tests done or go to the dentist or have a nice young man sort my ingrowing toenail out. :yesyes:

pulisa
26-03-22, 08:02
Hi, no I still haven't heard anything yet from the hospital or GP. It's been ten days now. I called today to check if the reports are back at the GP yet but they haven't received anything. I'm still nervous but I'd like to believe that after ten days now, if the consultant found anything bad in my blood work or X ray, I'd have been contacted now or my GP would have been told

I think you are right to believe this. Obviously official confirmation would really help but it's often said that no news is good news.

Great advice from Nora. I hope you have a better day today, GF.

Darksky
26-03-22, 09:43
I think you are right to believe this. Obviously official confirmation would really help but it's often said that no news is good news.

Great advice from Nora. I hope you have a better day today, GF.

I am a shocker at this. I have lost count of the number of blood tests I’ve had that I’ve never rang for the results. During the first week I remember but it’s too early. Then life takes over and I forget. When I do remember I figure, well if they really wanted me they would ring for me to make an appointment to see the doctor.