PDA

View Full Version : Saw bat in my house, woke up with red marks on face- very concerned

Jduke
16-03-22, 22:27
About two months ago, the weekend of January 15/16, I saw a bat flying in my basement. The closest it came to me was about 6-8 feet (2-2.5 meters). It was day time, around 2:30pm. My first instinct was to run up stairs and close my basement door so it didn’t get in our living space. I then did some research on how to capture a bat in your house. I devised a plan, went back down to the basement to find and hopefully capture the bat but the bat was gone. I looked everywhere. I assume it went back into the small space where it came from. I live in a house built in 1922 and apparently bats can easily travel in walls and other spaces from the attic to the basement. So the only option I had at this point was to make sure I excluded any possible way for the bat to find it’s way into our bedroom. I put a door sweep under our basement door. We also have old cast iron radiators and there’s about a 1 cm gap between the floor and pipe that runs to the basement. I stuffed these gaps with steel wool.

My anxiety began once I started googling ways to find a hidden bat in a basement. I started finding all the articles about bat rabies and how 70% of the rabies cases in the U.S. come from bats. Many of those unfortunate people who did get rabies don’t recall having contact with a bat but some of them did see one flying in their house at some point. Then there’s also the people who actually did wake up with a bat on them. My anxious mind kept thinking that the bat might have made its way into our bedroom before I noticed it flying in the basement. It could have easily slipped through the gap in the radiator pipes or under the gap between the basement door and the floor. We also don’t shut our bedroom door all the time when we go to sleep. So like many of you I kept thinking, what if the bat bit one of us while we were sleeping and had one of these “undetected” bat bites because their teeth are so small and sharp. I’m not sure if this is considered a “ninja” bat or not because I actually did see one in my house. Technically we never woke up to a bat in our bedroom but a bat certainly had access to our bedroom if it wanted to be there.

As some time went by, my anxiety started to ease. I was comforted by the fact that it’s winter where I live and it’s not likely bats are showing signs of rabies in the winter. Rabies virus apparently hibernates with the bats. Just as I was starting to get more and more comfortable that I didn’t get bit by a bat in my sleep, on March 7, about nine days ago (from the day this was posted) I woke up with some dried blood under my lip. I wiped away the dried blood and noticed two red marks, about 1/2 cm apart. My wife who doesn’t have health anxiety like I do said it was likely from shaving the day before. Perhaps I irritated some hair follicles and when I rolled over on my pillow, I opened them up and they started to bleed a bit. I didn’t notice any raised bumps or irritated hair follicles before I went to bed. When I got home from work that day, to try to ease my anxiety, I looked everywhere in my bedroom for a bat - behind picture frames, under and behind all furniture, shook all of our hanging clothes, looked in shoes…everywhere. I didn’t find a bat. However…I did discover this piece of missing wood floor in the bottom of my closet next to the wall. I believe the previous home owners removed it so they could thread a wire from the basement into the wall. The important part you need to know is, there was access from my basement to our bedroom.

I know that the odds of a bat finding the one hole in the floor from our basement to our bedroom, biting me on my face while I’m sleeping, hard enough to draw some blood without waking me up, in the winter time and then flying back down that hole are exceedingly rare. I know this. But I just can’t get over the fact that I woke up with dried blood on my face with two red marks 1/2 cm apart. Yes, it’s possible that it was something I did shaving but I’ve never woke up with dried blood on my face before. I've never woken up with blood on my face. The two small red marks went away after a couple of days. I did take a photo but a doctor really couldn't determine what it is with a photo.

PEP in the U.S. costs between $3000-$10000. I don’t want to go to the ER and get these shots unless absolutely necessary and technically I don’t fall under the CDC’s guidelines for being a candidate for PEP because I never woke to a bat in my bedroom and didn’t have contact with a bat. I really don’t know what to do and feel as if the clock is ticking. If a bat did in fact bite my face without waking me up, the incubation period for a rabies face bite can be much quicker than the average of 60 days. Would you chock this up as an unfortunate coincidence? Is my anxiety just getting the best of me here? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you if you made it this far.

Fishmanpa
16-03-22, 23:08
Would you chock this up as an unfortunate coincidence?

I would chalk it up to an impossible coincidence :winks:

FMP

Jduke
17-03-22, 01:07
I would chalk it up to an impossible coincidence :winks:

FMP

So if it’s an impossible coincidence, you’re saying it’s not possible it’s a coincidence and more likely a bat bite?

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 01:19
So if it’s an impossible coincidence, you’re saying it’s not possible it’s a coincidence and more likely a bat bite?

I'm saying a rabid bat flying around your house and biting your lip and you not waking up is impossible :winks:

FMP

BlueIris
17-03-22, 05:10
Agreed. You're not going to sleep through a bat in your face.

Scass
17-03-22, 06:57
And not only are you not going to stay asleep if a bat was in your face, you’re not going to stay still while something lands on your face and bites it.

Jduke
17-03-22, 09:52
And not only are you not going to stay asleep if a bat was in your face, you’re not going to stay still while something lands on your face and bites it.

I thought of that too but because my mind runs through all possible scenarios, I keep thinking that it could have landed on my pillow. I'm a deep sleeper from about 11pm-3am. My wife says she has to shake the hell out of me to wake me up. I can't seem to find anything about bat behavior. I know wild animals are unpredictable but isn't it reasonable to assume that if a bat bit me, it's probably going to find a place to hide right in our warm bedroom? Why would it go through all the trouble of crawling over a bunch of shoes in my closet to go back down to the basement? And if something actually bit me under my lip hard enough to draw some blood, even if I slept through the pain of the bite, don't you think there would be some kind of discomfort at the bite sight when I woke up or would the pain just dissipate? Wether it's a spider, bat or anything, there must be some kind of residual pain or discomfort associated with two sharp teeth/fangs being inserted into your skin.

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 11:21
Thing is, 'all possible scenarios' don't include fantasy and impossibilities. The reassurance questions you're posing above you already know the answers to ;)

FMP

Scass
17-03-22, 11:41
I thought of that too but because my mind runs through all possible scenarios, I keep thinking that it could have landed on my pillow. I'm a deep sleeper from about 11pm-3am. My wife says she has to shake the hell out of me to wake me up. I can't seem to find anything about bat behavior. I know wild animals are unpredictable but isn't it reasonable to assume that if a bat bit me, it's probably going to find a place to hide right in our warm bedroom? Why would it go through all the trouble of crawling over a bunch of shoes in my closet to go back down to the basement? And if something actually bit me under my lip hard enough to draw some blood, even if I slept through the pain of the bite, don't you think there would be some kind of discomfort at the bite sight when I woke up or would the pain just dissipate? Wether it's a spider, bat or anything, there must be some kind of residual pain or discomfort associated with two sharp teeth/fangs being inserted into your skin.

You have a wonderfully creative anxious mind.

Jduke
17-03-22, 13:16
Thing is, 'all possible scenarios' don't include fantasy and impossibilities. The reassurance questions you're posing above you already know the answers to ;)

FMP

I don't know if it's fantasy or impossibility because there ARE people who have been bitten by a bat while sleeping. Some woke up and I assume some didn't because a lot of the people who died of rabies never knew they were bitten and never came close to or handled a bat. This is the source of my anxiety.

Jduke
17-03-22, 13:22
You have a wonderfully creative anxious mind.

I know it's all unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility. This is why I continue to be anxious. It's hard for me to accept the red marks on my face are not from a bat because the probability isn't zero. I think if I noticed some kind of irritation or shaving mishap on my face before I went to bed, I'd be much more accepting of my wife's theory that I just opened something up on my face when I turned over on my pillow...but I didn't notice anything. I wouldn't be worried about this at all if I didn't see that bat in January.

Fishmanpa
17-03-22, 13:45
I don't know if it's fantasy or impossibility

Deep down, you do know. You are literally saying a bat you saw two months ago and never saw again has been a guest in your home, roaming and flying around unnoticed for two months. This ninja bat took the opportunity to come into your bedroom, unnoticed, bit you on the lip while you slept and slipped off into the abyss again. You have an actual plausible explanation (shaving), which has happened to me more times than I can count, yet you're feeding the fantasy :shrug:The dragon is breathing fire down your back and you're feeding him with your thoughts. Add to that there were only 5 cases in the US (which is the most in a while) in 2021 out of over 330 million people. Hope you feel better soon!

FMP

Scass
17-03-22, 14:58
I know it's all unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility. This is why I continue to be anxious. It's hard for me to accept the red marks on my face are not from a bat because the probability isn't zero. I think if I noticed some kind of irritation or shaving mishap on my face before I went to bed, I'd be much more accepting of my wife's theory that I just opened something up on my face when I turned over on my pillow...but I didn't notice anything. I wouldn't be worried about this at all if I didn't see that bat in January.

It kind of is outside the realms of possibilities though. Even if a bat did manage to get in your room, why bite you? Why not your wife? Why not just find a corner to hide in?

You choose to believe that it got in and bit you over about 50 other rational reasons for you having a bit of blood on your face.

BlueIris
17-03-22, 15:12
Joining in with the others here, this is completely impossible.

Jduke
18-03-22, 14:53
It kind of is outside the realms of possibilities though. Even if a bat did manage to get in your room, why bite you? Why not your wife? Why not just find a corner to hide in?

You choose to believe that it got in and bit you over about 50 other rational reasons for you having a bit of blood on your face.

I think a source of much of my anxiety is a chart that I found that shows all the human rabies in the U.S. that were caused by bats from 1951-2018. There are only 69 cases so I do recognize that rabies is a rare occurrence but of those 69 cases, about 18 of them reported a bat biting them while sleeping or they did see a bat in their house at some point and/or discovered a colony of bats in their attic after the person died from rabies but there was "no known contact" with a bat . Again, I can see that it's very rare but I think to myself that people still win the lottery and bats do bite people while sleeping so why not me?

Jduke
18-03-22, 14:58
Joining in with the others here, this is completely impossible.

Yes it's improbable but not impossible. I found a chart that shows all the human rabies in the U.S. that were caused by bats from 1951-2018. There are only 69 cases in that time frame so I do recognize that rabies is a rare occurrence but of those 69 cases, about 18 of them reported a bat biting them while sleeping or they did see a bat in their house at some point and/or discovered a colony of bats in their attic after the person died from rabies but there was "no known contact" with a bat . Again, I can see that it's very rare but I think to myself that people still win the lottery, get struck by lighting and bats do bite people while sleeping...so why not me? I know it's not healthy and if I didn't find red marks on my face I wouldn't even be here.

ButterscotchLatte
18-03-22, 19:42
I'm so sorry that you actually did see a bat in your house. I can't even imagine how much that would send my rabies anxiety into overdrive. I know how scary this specific fear is, and I regularly freak myself out about unseen bats being the source of every random mark I notice on my body if I don't know how it got there. However, even in my own rabies anxiety riddled mind, I can assure you that in this particular instance there is no way you would've slept through a bat biting you. No matter how small it is, something with wings crawling around on your face in the night and biting you hard enough to draw blood is probably something even very heavy sleepers would wake up to. Your partner is probably right. If it IS a bite, its from something you could sleep through crawling on your face, like a spider. I know my reply is probably not going to help much, since I can't be calmed down when I'm freaking out about bats and rabies either, but I thought I should try. And believe me, you don't want rabies shots if you don't need them. I got them a few years back during one of my episodes when I absolutely did not need to and not only are they expensive and rarely covered by insurance, they can also make you feel really really sick. I was just fine before I got them, and they gave me the flu like symptoms that go along with rabies for like 2 months and just made my anxiety even worse. For your sake, do not feed into the hypochondria. It will just demand more and more from you.

Jduke
19-03-22, 10:12
I'm so sorry that you actually did see a bat in your house. I can't even imagine how much that would send my rabies anxiety into overdrive. I know how scary this specific fear is, and I regularly freak myself out about unseen bats being the source of every random mark I notice on my body if I don't know how it got there. However, even in my own rabies anxiety riddled mind, I can assure you that in this particular instance there is no way you would've slept through a bat biting you. No matter how small it is, something with wings crawling around on your face in the night and biting you hard enough to draw blood is probably something even very heavy sleepers would wake up to. Your partner is probably right. If it IS a bite, its from something you could sleep through crawling on your face, like a spider. I know my reply is probably not going to help much, since I can't be calmed down when I'm freaking out about bats and rabies either, but I thought I should try. And believe me, you don't want rabies shots if you don't need them. I got them a few years back during one of my episodes when I absolutely did not need to and not only are they expensive and rarely covered by insurance, they can also make you feel really really sick. I was just fine before I got them, and they gave me the flu like symptoms that go along with rabies for like 2 months and just made my anxiety even worse. For your sake, do not feed into the hypochondria. It will just demand more and more from you.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm at this point where half of my brain is thinking just like you and the other people who have replied to me. There's no way I would sleep through such an event and there's no way a bat would just disappear afterward. The other half of my brain runs through this scenario where I'm in the hospital slowly dying of rabies with moments of lucidity thinking that I should have just listened to my instincts. Wild animals are unpredictable. I could have prevented this if I just got some stupid shots and paid the money. And then my wife has to explained what happened to the doctor and the doctor says "so you saw a bat flying in your basement, never captured it and lost track of the bat, woke up with dried blood and two little red marks on your face and decided against getting PEP? Something like that would have been considered reasonable probability" I know if it was just 1-2 shots and my insurance covered it or it was a reasonable amount of money, not thousands of dollars, I probably would have gotten PEP the day after I woke up with dried blood and red marks on my face. I've had health anxiety in the past due to an irregular heart beat but I was able to accept it much quicker when testing and cardiologist reassured me that my PVC/PAC's were benign. This rabies anxiety is more like dread and fear. It's very consuming. I'm hoping I can come to terms with it soon. But again, thank you for trying to reassure me. It's somewhat helpful to type all of this out.