PDA

View Full Version : Construction dust

Cannotstopworrying
18-03-22, 14:17
Hi guys,

I was sitting in the garden when builders a few doors down started cutting something and loads of dust started blowing over.

I got my washing off the line and put it in the washer again.

Just worried about the dust I might have breathed in
while sitting there and getting the washing in. Will it have been harmful? Also had to shut the windows quick and now worried it floating around the house .. Not sure if it was breeze blocks, bricks , plaster board or what to be honest.

I notice builders never wear masks when doing any cutting etc but that just seems madness to me.

nomorepanic
18-03-22, 17:02
What are you worried about can I ask?

We are forever breathing in things from the air around us so why has this worried you so much?

Cannotstopworrying
18-03-22, 20:31
What are you worried about can I ask?

We are forever breathing in things from the air around us so why has this worried you so much?

The amount of dust concerned me if it damages your lunges in the short term or can cause lung cancer later down the line.

Also worried the dust is not natural from the building materials and the loops back round to if it has caused any lung damage.

I realise we breath in dust but not in the quantities as to which is created by cutting something

nomorepanic
18-03-22, 21:46
You would have to be breathing it all day every day to do any damage.

Fishmanpa
18-03-22, 23:23
You would have to be breathing it all day every day to do any damage.

Agreed. This is truly a non-issue.

FMP

kyllikki
19-03-22, 00:33
Back in the 1980s, my grandfather (truly the least anxiety prone person I ever met) literally cut up a sheet of asbestos to make a heat shield for a bbq pit he was building -- using a table saw, in a half-open garage space. A friend of his happened to drive up as he was doing it and ran out of his car, yelling and waving arms at a distance, until my grandpa stopped. "What are doing, are you insane, that's asbestos, the dust will give you cancer!" shouted the friend, distraught. My grandfather brushed himself off and said, "That's ok, it was only a little bit of dust."

...And he lived to 93! Ignorance really is bliss. :roflmao:

(Don't cut up any asbestos boards. But also -- you're fine. I promise.)