PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sleeping on Citalopram

willp
21-11-07, 09:03
Hi,

I have been on Citalopram for about two weeks now and after suffering really badly at first, it has now kicked in and really seems to be working... apart from one major problem.

I find that when I go to bed I just don't feel tired - my mind is (over) active and I want to get up and do things. For most of the last few nights I have had no sleep at all. I'm starting back at work tomorrow and it's just not going to be possible on no sleep. My GP has prescribed me a few sleeping tablets for the really difficult times but this isn't a long-term solution.

At the moment I take Citalopram in the morning. Does anyone know if taking it at night would make any difference? Has anyone else experienced the same problem? How did you deal with it? I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks

neil1975
01-12-07, 23:56
Hi Will,

I suffered with sleep deprivation whilst on Citalopram only while waiting for them to kick in. Mine took 5 to 6 weeks to kick in properly.
I took my pill (10mg) in the morning
Maybe going back to work is making your mind work overtime and not allowing you to switch off.
Have you been getting regular exercise because this helps me.
Listening to relaxing music helps too.

Neil

willp
05-12-07, 23:22
Thanks Neil,

It's good to hear from someone who's been through the same thing. I tried various things such as relaxation CDs, lavender oil, valerian complexes and so on, none of which worked. I also tried audio books which made sleepless nights more pleasant but didn't solve the problem. I find when I listen to music I concentrate on it too much to fall asleep.

In the end I was recommended Phenergan which is available over the counter at pharmacists. It's used to treat all sorts of things - allergies, nausea and so on. It's also a mild anti-psychotic and sedative and I've had no trouble sleeping since I started taking 25mg at night. Although it's not addictive I understand it's not suitable as a long-term solution so I'm hoping that like you the sleepless nights will stop once the Citalopram has kicked in properly.

Your advice about exercise is good - I should definitely get more. Earlier this year I would walk to work and back - a good 45 minutes each way. Now it's dark and often raining when I leave I usually cop out and get the bus. I think I need to grit my teeth and get back into the regime. I really notice the difference.

Thanks again,

Will

samc100
05-12-07, 23:31
Hi Will

I remember struggling at first with sleep. I was told to take the tablet in the morning ( which you are doing) and I found I gradullay and slowly got better but often woke up at around 3.00am.

I found ear-plugs helped me and also relaxing an hour prior to bedtime. It does ease so try not to let it get you down. I used to go prepared with books, puzzle books, the radio, my diary to write etc!!

Hope you are doing ok otherwise xxxx

willp
06-12-07, 19:08
Thanks Sam, that's really helpful. Yes, I have a stack of things by my bed to keep me occupied just in case!

As I've been taking Phenergan I'm not really sure if the insomnia has passed yet or not. I'm going to stop taking it at the weekend when I don't have to go to work and hopefully I'll be able to sleep without it.

Otherwise the Citralopram is working and I'm much less anxious. I'm also investigating CBT - there's a good free online course at www.livinglifetothefull.com which I'm doing while waiting to see if the NHS can give me CBT with a counsellor.

Hope you're well too,

Will

samc100
07-12-07, 15:08
It's just good to know you aren't the only one struggling along with these things isn't it? And you sounds pretty pro-active which I am sure will hlep you improve.

I shall look at that web site - sounds intriguing.

willp
07-12-07, 22:07
It certainly is good to talk to others who have been through the same. I've realised recently that I've been suffering from anxiety for as long as I can remember, just didn't realise it was anything out of the ordinary. I'm determined to get it sorted out this time.

Have a great weekend,

Will

joannap
08-12-07, 12:00
i had v little sleep on citalopram for the first 2 weeks - i used to go to bed feeling sleepy but once in bed felt wide awake and some nights only got a few hours sleep. it gradually passed but took about 3-4 weeks. even now my sleep can be iffy but its usually if i haven;t allowed myself time to wind down.

BlackLily
08-12-07, 21:24
I took my 1st 10mg Citalopram tablet at 8am yesterday morning after getting them on Thursday & was still awake at 4am this morning!! I'm usually dozing off to sleep about 11pm.

I have felt a "rushy" feeling off them & I feel energetic all the time.

Last night even though I felt physically drained, my mind was over-active & wouldn't let me rest.

willp
08-12-07, 22:02
I got hardly any sleep at first, hence my original desparate post. I found Phenergan helped, though I'm not going to take any tonight and hopefully I'll be able to sleep fine. I had the mind racing thing too and it was that that stopped me from sleeping even though I was shattered. It goes with time though thankfully!