PDA

View Full Version : Coughing, acid feeling and general reflux

flatterycat
04-04-22, 13:07
I’m 53 female and have suffered with HA over the years to varying degrees. I have sought help and have a supportive doctor, however the last week or so I have become more and more anxious to the point that I’m a dribbling mess and just need somewhere to write about my fears.

It all started back in September. I noticed I had to clear my chest a lot. Then I started to get a tickly cough. This cough has stayed and although there have been days where I’ve not noticed it, it’s still there. The cough seems to be triggered after eating/drinking or talking. I will feel a tickle in my lower throat and it sets me off. I saw my doctor who listened to my chest and said that it could be post nasal drip. I was worried about lung cancer - the advert telling you to see a doctor if you’ve been coughing for more than three weeks set me off.

I calmed down but then I’ve now got a feeling of acid in food pipe and throat and keep burping after eating or drinking. Worse still is that I sometimes have a bit of liquid come up too.I also have a sensation of something stuck in my throat and chest - like a piece of food or a burp is trapped there.

I saw my doctor again and she said it sounds like acid reflux and put me on omprozel ppi. I took for a month and it’s not worked which of course makes me even more worried and I’m getting more and more anxious.

I keep thinking I have oesophageal or lung cancer. I’m 53 so feel even more at risk and am terrified that it’s one of those that’s causing the reflux. I then started to panic that I’m not swallowing properly because I’ve had a couple of episodes where it’s gone down the wrong pipe. Why would I develop a cough and these other symptoms at my age if I’ve not really had them before?

If anyone has experienced the same, can you share?

Thank you

Catkins
04-04-22, 17:37
I've had a cough since October, I had Covid in December which meant I coughed a lot more. It hung on past me having Covid so by mid-Jan I contacted the GP's and they sent me for a chest x-ray. All clear. But still coughing. In the end I went back to the GP's and saw the Respiratory nurse and had a blood test and a blow into something test to check for inflammation. No inflammation. What she did do was increase my Lansoprazole (another PPI). I was on 15mg anyway because I have problems because of a hiatus hernia, but they upped the dose to 30mg twice a day. The difference has been brilliant. I still cough, but I would guess at 75% less than before. I still struggle at night if I eat too much in the evening, but much better than I was.

Why would this suddenly start for you? Our bodies are constantly changing as we get older, changes in weight, in fact anything. I suddenly developed hayfever in my 30's after never having had it before. It's just one of those things.

I would go back to the doctor, if it is reflux you might need to change the dose or change to lansoprazole (I have been switched to omeprazole before and it didn't work for me so went back to lansoprazole).

There are things you can do yourself; We have the head end of our bed up on wooden blocks. Avoid fizzy drinks. Don't overeat in the evenings.

With regards to swallowing the wrong way, I had a sip of coffee Saturday, it went down the wrong way, made me cough and I promptly threw up everywhere. It happens.

I think you're becoming hypersensitive to your symptoms because of your HA. Go back to your GP and talk about your concerns.

flatterycat
04-04-22, 17:48
Thank you Catkins

I spoke to the GP again today. They didn’t offer to see me, just advised me on my diet and other tips. I think I find it really hard to think rationally when I’m experiencing symptoms that are new to me - especially when they go on for a long time. The doctor doesn’t think I need any tests but being a HA sufferer, it’s hard not to worry that they are wrong, particularly when you read that the symptoms are the same for various diseases on NHS. I also know that having HA doesn’t make me immune to illness, so each time it really could be something serious. Thank you again for replying though - it helps to know I’m not alone.

I remember replying to your post about losing your mum last year after I lost mine in the March. I hope you are coping better with the loss now x

I've had a cough since October, I had Covid in December which meant I coughed a lot more. It hung on past me having Covid so by mid-Jan I contacted the GP's and they sent me for a chest x-ray. All clear. But still coughing. In the end I went back to the GP's and saw the Respiratory nurse and had a blood test and a blow into something test to check for inflammation. No inflammation. What she did do was increase my Lansoprazole (another PPI). I was on 15mg anyway because I have problems because of a hiatus hernia, but they upped the dose to 30mg twice a day. The difference has been brilliant. I still cough, but I would guess at 75% less than before. I still struggle at night if I eat too much in the evening, but much better than I was.

Why would this suddenly start for you? Our bodies are constantly changing as we get older, changes in weight, in fact anything. I suddenly developed hayfever in my 30's after never having had it before. It's just one of those things.

I would go back to the doctor, if it is reflux you might need to change the dose or change to lansoprazole (I have been switched to omeprazole before and it didn't work for me so went back to lansoprazole).

There are things you can do yourself; We have the head end of our bed up on wooden blocks. Avoid fizzy drinks. Don't overeat in the evenings.

With regards to swallowing the wrong way, I had a sip of coffee Saturday, it went down the wrong way, made me cough and I promptly threw up everywhere. It happens.

I think you're becoming hypersensitive to your symptoms because of your HA. Go back to your GP and talk about your concerns.

Fishmanpa
04-04-22, 23:46
I agree with your doctor. PPIs alone may not alleviate reflux issues. Diet and eating habits play a big part in it. Look into the FODMAP diet (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/). Keep a journal of what you eat and the reaction. Reduce/eliminate foods that trigger it. The wife and I have reflux, take a PPI and have followed the FODMAP diet for years and its worked for us.

FMP

Catkins
05-04-22, 06:30
I remember replying to your post about losing your mum last year after I lost mine in the March. I hope you are coping better with the loss now x
Thank you for remembering that. I am coping better now, I still have my moments, but it's definitely easier now.

flatterycat
05-04-22, 08:55
Thanks Fishmanpa - as always you give good advice.

Catkins - I’m glad you are doing better with your grief. I’m still struggling if I’m honest. Still cannot believe I lost my mum and sometimes it still feels very overwhelming.

Carnation
05-04-22, 10:19
Flattery cat, I get the same symptoms until I started taking a teaspoon of Apple Cyder Vinegar in a glass of luke warm water. And it enables me to have an occasional naughty treat. It works like a dream. It's all because we don't create enough acid and anything fatty, oily, acidity causes the reflux, the coughing, the burning sensation in the throat and sometimes stomach and food generally has a difficult time passing through easy. Chocolate has this affect on me because it generally contains oil. So I have to have the good stuff, lol. Give it try flattery cat. After a few days you will definitely notice a difference. And try to avoid anything fatty. You get to know which foods upset you.

Carnation
05-04-22, 10:29
Catkins, you are right, I developed both hay-fever and acid reflux around five years ago. Also sinus issues. It could be a getting older thing although I don't really like saying that.
When I think what I used to eat and the junk food and now I'm choosing carefully and propping up my pillows to sleep avoiding late night snacking. Because that coughing is so irritating. A better night's sleep is worth more these days, lol.

Darksky
05-04-22, 10:39
Your symptoms sound exactly like my sister. She is on ppi and watches what she eats. Still gets the symptoms but hers turned out to be a hiatus hernia. She went to see a gastroenterologist recently and a letter duly went to the doctor to up her ppi’s but nothings happened. Her doctor is useless though.

There are several ppi’s..if one doesn’t work another one might, or maybe you need it twice a day.

flatterycat
05-04-22, 12:05
Thank you both for your replies.

I’m trying very hard to rein in my anxiety levels, but finding it really hard this morning. Can’t stop my mind going to the different cancers I fear. On the one hand I think if I just insist on tests, I will find out what’s wrong and if t proved nothing worrying I would be able to crack on anxiety free. On the other hand, asking for tests scares me so much. The doctor doesn’t feel I need referring but when you reach or hear things it’s hard to believe that what I’m suffering with is not something awful. Some days all I can focus on is the cough and the tickle that starts it off and then go round in circles Asti why I’m coughing since September. I can go hours without a cough then the tickle starts and I’m off coughing.

I think I find it hard to move forward when I know some of the symptoms are signs of the cancer I fear but I’m not being tested more than a visit to see doc and basic checks. Anyway, I’m waffling although it helps to get out. Thanks again for your help. x

NoraB
07-04-22, 06:43
If anyone has experienced the same, can you share?

Thank you

I have acid reflux but I don't cough with mine.

If this helps, my husband also has acid reflux and he coughs & throws up with his..

If the meds aren't working, see your GP. You might need a higher dose is all..

Carnation
07-04-22, 09:48
I throw up too if I have anything fatty or too oily. And it's definitely acid.

glassgirlw
07-04-22, 12:40
Pre gallbladder removal I had horrible reflux. No coughing with mine but just constant heartburn. It helped when I changed my diet to a lower fat one. Had gallbladder out Monday, will have to see if my reflux returns lol.

My husband had his gallbladder out 12 years ago, he had horrible reflux before and still struggles with it - and like many of you, his does cause him to throw up almost every morning. Can’t seem to get him to go to the doc though, he’s not concerned enough to want to try medication I guess :shrug:

Not saying that gallbladder is your issue by the way - this is just what I’ve experienced with me and now I have no idea what my “normal” is going to be now that mine is out. Hopefully manageable through diet control again!