PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get shortness of breath when focusing on th breathing?

scared88
07-04-22, 17:25
So I often get really focused on my breathing and often get shortness of breath or I get anxiety and my breathing gets out of whack and I start focusing on it then it keeps happening for longer. When it happens I get the urge to take a deep breath and not always getting it and sometimes get tingly in various spots. I saw a doctor this week and had my oxygen measured and I was at 98% so that's good so I'm getting enough oxygen regardless of that.
Does anyone else get this especially when overly focused on their breathing?

Fishmanpa
07-04-22, 17:50
While I don't personally experience this, it's something that I brought up in your other posts and examples of this are all over the forum. A quick search will yield pages and pages of posts about it. If you hyper-focus on any thought or physical sensation, you're bound to get distracted and sucked in, spiraling into the rabbit hole. Things like you've posted about, seeing your pulse as blood flows naturally through your body etc. For example, last night, I awoke at 3am and had to pee. I was also thirsty and went downstairs to get a drink. Of course, climbing a flight of stairs to get back to bed after being asleep for 5 hours increased my heartbeat. When I laid down and got comfortable and tried to get back to sleep, I could hear and feel the increase in my heartbeat. So, as I always do, I bring up a song or thought in my head, listen/focus on it, and it serves as a distraction to the totally normal and natural physical sensations and next thing you know, its morning ;)

You really don't need reassurance on this. What you need to do is recognize and accept this as normal with everyone and learn to distract yourself from the negative thoughts that are part of your HA.

FMP

Scass
07-04-22, 19:48
So I often get really focused on my breathing and often get shortness of breath or I get anxiety and my breathing gets out of whack and I start focusing on it then it keeps happening for longer. When it happens I get the urge to take a deep breath and not always getting it and sometimes get tingly in various spots. I saw a doctor this week and had my oxygen measured and I was at 98% so that's good so I'm getting enough oxygen regardless of that.
Does anyone else get this especially when overly focused on their breathing?

In a word, yes.

I have asthma, so sometimes I focus on it more. But yes absolutely, the more you focus on it, the more you notice.
What works for me is distraction. Often in the form of a repetitive game on my phone where I have to concentrate on the game but not so much that it’s too hard to concentrate. Things like candy crush are great for this.