PDA

View Full Version : my head is spinning…

henri
13-02-05, 18:17
hi everyone,

am so relieved to have found this website! I'm 27 and currently live in london. i've been suffering from some kind of panic disorder for the last couple of months and i'm going out of my mind. initially i thought i must have some serious illness but after a million blood tests/scans etc, realise it's all anxiety related.

am really freaked out by it all, haven't been to work in a month and don't quite know how i'm going to go back - even going for a walk down the road can trigger it all off.
anyway, if anyone has good tips for dealing with/overcoming dizzyness, i'd really love to hear from you. i'm learning to control my breathing but i just can't handle that weird feeling of being light-headed, dizzy and sick the whole time.

i know from reading other posts in the forum that i'm not the only one going through this but god does it feel that way sometimes.

really hope i get to chat with some of you soon! x

~S~
13-02-05, 18:44
Hi Henri

Welcome to the site, its fab and I think it may really help you.

I absolutely know how you feel with the sick/dizzy feelings, and lots of others on the site will be able to relate to them. So you are defo not alone in this! When I start to feel panicky I find the breathing really helps, it helps calm you down, but sometimes you can start breathing too much and that will make you light headed/dizzy (Im not sure why?) thats what happends to me anyway. Try and have an aim everyday even if it is walking to the bottom of the street, at least you are out.

I am new here too, the chat room is fantastic and you may find it helps you - usually after 8:30 there is people in there.

I hope you manage to get back to work and start to get your confidence back soon.

There is always someone here on the site to listen, the people here are great and so supportive.

Luv ~Sarah~ xxx

FAN
13-02-05, 18:48
hi and welcome you will get lots of really helpful advice here, as you say reading through some of the posts helped you realise your not alone with this and im sure you will find lots of tips to try that have worked for others

fan x

nomorepanic
13-02-05, 18:53
Welcome Henri

The dizziness is one of the worst symptoms I had as it seemed to go forever - years it felt like.

It does go in time trust me.

Can you do any exercise atall that is great for panic/anxiety and also you need to get some good relaxation CD's and play them at least twice a day. They will do some breathing excercises too so that will be a big help.

Have a look at Meg's "First Steps" post as that may give you some tips on what to try (www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm)

I hope we can be of help to you and stick at it - it will come in time ok?

Nicola

bubbles
13-02-05, 18:54
Henri,

Welcome to the site.
You will get lots of help, understanding, & support on here.
and, knowing you are not alone with this will help you to move forward again.

Linda. x

henri
13-02-05, 19:07
hey,
thank you for your reassuring messages, it's really comforting to know that there are people out there who can relate to this nightmare.
i've never been in a chat room but if i can work out how to log on to it, i really look forward to talking to some of you later,

henri x

clickaway
13-02-05, 19:11
Hi Henri, and welcome

I think I can understand how your walking may trigger off your anxiety attacks off.

It is most likely assocaited with a fear of that situation. Gently go outside on a regular basis - if you are able to go for a walk with a sense of purpose too that's even better but it seems that you should acclimatise your mind that you can face a short gentle walk.

This can be daunting and so may have to be taken in small steps ~ even walking down your front path or the first lamp post will be a start.

You will still feel fearful at first, but in time you will be OK. If you don't face it, it will be more difficult to conquer.

Easier said than done, I know ~ I'm still finding various things difficult to face.

Take Care

Ray

nomorepanic
13-02-05, 19:12
henri

From the main website page - www.nomorepanic.co.uk click on the menu item "live chat room" on the left hand side.

Hope to see you there

Nicola

jill
13-02-05, 19:16
Hi Henri

Just want to say welcome to the site.

There are lots of nice people here
who will heop and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

All problems have a begining and an end!

JPF
13-02-05, 19:29
Hi Henri

Welcome to the forum. It's a really great place for information and support - you really know you're not alone when you come to a place like this and you also realise what you're experiencing is not unique to you (and that helped me very much indeed).

The diizziness, sickness, faintness of breath will all pass in time. You need to try to make yourself relax a little and you will begin to feel better step by step - I use the analogy of training for a marathon. Build-up gradually and you will get much better over time in manageable steps. There's no magic bullet cure for panic but it does respond really well to conventional treatment, homeopathy, counselling and by coming to places like this which is brimming with information and supportive people who understand how you're feeling. There's so much information here and on the parent website that really helps with dealing with this condition and fighting back against it too.

It's a horrible, debilitating, lonely condition but it can be beaten with a bit of effort. You've got a really good attitude towards it, you understand what's happening to you and you've found this place too - I'm sure this will set you on the road to recovery before you know it. Keep posting here, let us know how you're doing and enjoy the community spirit/knowledge. Hope to see you in the chat room too.

Good luck and good health

J

maxine
13-02-05, 20:38
Hi Hendi,
First of all welcome to the site, and regerding tips for dealing with the dizziness(i hate that) i find if i have a damp cloth just wiping my brow a couple of times helps settle down some of the worst symptoms.

Your not alone, remember that and we are all here to help and suffort you if you want it.
Hope to speak to you soon it chat.:D

Take care
Maxine

seh1980
13-02-05, 21:13
hello Henri,

Welcome to the site!! You are definetly not alone and I hope that we can all help you deal with your anxiety. Look forward to getting to know you better!!

Sarah :D

Meg
13-02-05, 22:16
Hi Henri,

Do you know what kicked all this off to start with and how has it progressed since then ?

Do you have support nearby and I hope your employers have been supportive.

The breathing is vitally important as hyperventilating will make you feel dizzy within minutes.

Essentially the chemicals in your blood get slightly out of kilter with too little Co2 and too much o2. If you breathe in to the count of 4 and out to count of 8 it will help redress the balance.
If thats too hard to start with, cup your hands over your mouth and breathe in and out through them and just looks like you're warming your hands to anyone else .
Breathing in and out of a paper bag is worth a try for 2 mins if you get to the point of pins and needles or tingling in your fingers and toes .

Take care

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Mike26uk
14-02-05, 00:43
Hi Henri,
Despite being new to this site I have fought with panic for some time now. I think the most important lesson I've learned is that you can get better!!!

I would recommend you keep trying to get into the chatroom. You don't really need any experience to use it and when I was there the other night everyone was sooo friendly.

no one ever died wishing they had spent more time at work

bluebottle
14-02-05, 08:04
Hi Henri,

Welcome to the site.

I was told by my GP that if your feeling dizzy and anxious that breathing into a paper bag can help if you are hyperventilating.

"The most important thing to understand about hyperventilation is that although it can feel as if you don't have enough oxygen, the opposite is true. It is a symptom of too much oxygen.

With hyperventilation, your body has too much oxygen. To use this oxygen (to extract it from your blood), your body needs a certain amount of Carbon Dioxide (CO2)." source: http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk

Regards,

Blue
--
Take little steps

henri
14-02-05, 10:39
thank you so much for all those lovely replies - i've felt so isolated since this started happening to me but this website has worked miracles in just one day!

in response to meg, i haven't quite got to the bottom of what triggered this whole thing off. have got a CBT appointment this afternoon and am hoping it will help me figure things out a little. i've had the last month off work as paid sick leave but i think it might turn into unpaid sick leave very soon! will have to see how it goes…

was lovely chatting to some of you last night - catch you in there soon! xx

~S~
14-02-05, 13:19
Hi Henri,

Good luck with your appointment this afternoon.

Let us know how it goes.

luv ~sarah~ xxx

Lottie32
14-02-05, 19:25
Hi Henri

I've been a member for something like two years now! When I first joined I was a total wreck, suffering from agrophobia, GAD, panic attacks, depression and all the accompanying physical symptoms.

With the help of the people on this web site, the excellent advice and support I've received, changing certain aspects of my life, taking some medication, and doing CBT, but most importantly some bloody difficult hard work, I am now suffering (and beating) Depression only!!!!!

Believe me, this is an incredibly positive thing for me! I'd rather die than go back to where I was when I first joined!

The main thing that I've learnt from all of this is that there is no magic cure. What works for one, will not necessarily work for another. For example, medication has done me the power of good, however, it does not suit everybody. By all means try everything that is suggested, but please do not loose hope if a suggested method does not work for you.

Before your time, but we did once have a bloke who believed that you could prevent panic attacks from happening by inserting cotton wool into your ears the moment you felt one developing (if you want to try this yourself, the key, apparently, was to use 100% pure cotton wool only, no blends allowed).

This is fine if it works for him. It may have worked for me too, but I didn't give it a try.

I can however say with total conviction that the following are guaranteed to help you.

1. The support of friends, family, or the strange people you may meet on this site

2. CBT - I haven't spoken to anybody who this has not helped in some way

3. Reviewing your lifestyle - diet, exercise, alcohol / drug intake, sleep, relaxation, supplements - these all have a positive effect if you treat your body with respect, and a negative if you abuse yourself!

4. Acceptance. I found it very hard to believe that being a "bit wound up" about something could have such strong and serious physical symptoms. However, once I accepted that this is how I was, and that I wasn't about to drop down with a heart attack etc etc, the symptoms eased.

5. Hard work and perseverance. Over coming your neurosis is hard. But very definitely possible and achievable. Progress very likely will be slow, but i think most of us will agree that little and often gets better and longer lasting results than any quick fix solutions.

Very best of luck with your CBT. I hope it helps. Keep reading everything you can, and don't be afraid to seek help

I hope that you soon start to see the "light at the end of the tunnel"

Best wishes

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

henri
14-02-05, 19:45
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply - i've just read your post in the success stories and, although you are probably feeling the whole 'one step forward, two steps back' thing, i just wanted to let you know that it really inspired me to not let this whole panic attack/depression nightmare get me down. Had a CBT session today - it was the first one and i didn't really learn anything that i hadn't already read on this website, but i'm feeling positive about it.
I think the most difficult thing to alter on your list is the one about acceptance - two months ago i had a busy, "normal" life and now i feel like a total recluse who can't even pop into a supermarket for a pint of milk. Having to accept that there is something wrong deep down is so hard.

Having said that, i don't think i'll ever resort to the cotton wool approach!!
Hope to chat with you soon,

Henri x

PS Sarah, not much to report from today's session (it was only the first one and he just spent ages doing the whole 'so tell me about your childhood' thing). but i'll keep you posted!

Lottie32
14-02-05, 19:55
I'm sure with your attitude you will find your way through soon!

I have had two years of CBT, and I still don't feel like it has "done" anything - however ....... two years ago I didn't leave the house. Now I go to footie matches, concerts, dine out etc etc etc...... there are still somethings I haven't put to the test, but I have learnt not to push myself too hard, to take things slowly, and do them properly.

So far I haven't relapsed!

Good luck with your "fight". I don't think CBT really feels like it's working. For me it wasn't like taking a aspirin then my headache going, but all of a sudden I realised that I was doing things that I wouldn't have dreamt of doing months before

(Be warned though - this can get expensive - it cost me over £300 to see Keane and the Darkness less than 20 miles down the road!)

keep on going on (and remember keep a good day diary, and refer back to it every time you have a bad one! And don't be despondent when they happen - it's not the fact that we have bad days that matter, but how we deal with them that counts)

Best wishes

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.