PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure issues

Pet59
14-04-22, 05:20
Hi everyone,
I have been having a bad time at work, a bad time in that I was sacked last July but told I had to work another full year! I was having a private conversation with a friend and a comment I made was overheard by another colleague. She reported it and the result is that I was asked to resign. I have had to work in an environment from last July, working with with this other colleague, knowing they have been the cause of me being forced to resign. The colleague does not know the outcome of her complaint.

Anyway, I was having a procedure in December and my BP spiked to 191/114. I went to my GP in Jan who did an ultrasound and bloods and told me that all my veins and arteries were all fine and normal sized and if I had high BP, these would be enlarged. He told me I had severe anxiety. I believe him and I truly believe that my work situation and my anxiety being in this toxic environment is the cause of my BP.

Since Jan, I have eaten well, I have been going to the gym with my trainer, I have eaten the correct foods and drunk the correct teas etc all in a bid to lower my BP. I have added various seeds and nuts to my diet. I have health anxiety so the thought of the machine, sends me into a tiz. I try to take my measurements once a month and last month I felt I was going in the right direction. Yesterday I took them again and the lowest reading I got was 165/105.

I need to get my anxiety under control. I need to let go of the anger that I feel about my work situation. This isnt just a case of finding another job. We (myself and husband) are having to return to our home country because of this, we have extra costs that we have had to incur, my family do not know the real reason we are coming home (although a move was always planned within the next 2 years)

I don't know how to get my BP stable. If you have read this far, thanks.

NoraB
14-04-22, 07:35
I don't know how to get my BP stable.

I need to let go of the anger that I feel about my work situation.

I think you've answered you're own question...

When we're angry we release stress hormones (adrenaline, cortisol etc) into our systems and this causes an increase in blood pressure..

You know what you need to do...

ErinKC
17-04-22, 13:51
I’m so sorry - that work situation is horrendous and I can’t believe that happened to you! Having to work for a year after that would be unimaginable.

But, as you’ve said, letting go of the anger is your best anxiety solution. Try to reframe your thinking - they’ve already hurt you and put you in this terrible work environment. Don’t let them control your body and mind, too. Try to free yourself from their control. Focus on your plans for moving and the benefits of getting out of this situation and closer to family, etc. If you were planning to move back home anyway, just imagine this is all part of your plan and try and make the most of it. You don’t have to tell your family the real reason if you don’t want to. You can say you resigned because you weren’t happy in your work environment anymore, etc.

But, anyone, even those with no anxiety would be stressed out by this, so also remember you’re completely normal for feeling upset and anxious.

Pet59
18-04-22, 07:11
Thank you both for the replies.

To give a bit more context, I was discussing my fear of flying with my colleague (her husband is a pilot). We were talking about my fear, how long I have had it, how irrational it is, how I self inject before flying etc. The other colleague came in to collect something from the room we were in, walked over, lifted whatever was needed and left again. Within those 5 seconds she heard me saying something which was in relation to flying but she did not feel it was appropriate. She did not hear the whole context of the conversation.

Anyway, yes, I need to get rid of the anger. I see her on a daily basis and it is all I can do not to rip her head off! (not literally!!) I feel betrayed by her as I was quite close to her. I told her all about my IVF procedures and fertility struggles, I covered for her when she was ill, I took her classes, I did her marking....I really helped her out over the years.

Back to the anger....I don't know how to get rid of it.

Eevie
11-05-22, 01:21
I have the same issue with high blood pressure and severe anxiety I took mine tonight and it was 146/107

It makes me incredibly anxious to be this high so I understand

NoraB
11-05-22, 07:53
Back to the anger....I don't know how to get rid of it.

I have a list of people who have made me feel incredibly angry (to say the least) but I have found a method that's effective in bringing down my BP when I think of those oafs..

Think of what the woman looks like. Does she have distinguishing features? A large nose? Curly hair? Whatever. Then associate her with a cartoon character or something funny. I've done it recently with someone who is giving me strife. The 'lady' in question makes a ridiculous gurning face in her selfies and her eyebrows meet her hairline. She's also a right cow so wasn't hard to come up with Cruella De Ville. So now the picture is on my phone and whenever I feel the red mist descending I swipe to ol' Cruella and I laugh my baps off. My blood pressure thanks me for it. Try it!