PDA

View Full Version : Tingling in fingers. Worried about diabetes.

scared88
14-04-22, 15:17
Yes I know. I'm posting again. Last night I started to have some tingling in the pulp of my fingertips on my left hand. I've had this before and it ends up going away. But now it's happening during an anxiety spiral so I'm concerned about diabetes. My diet has been poor over the last decade or so but I never got to a concerning weight. Always below 100kg. I've now lost a bit and I'm around 83. I don't have any other symptoms of diabetes like extreme fatigue or frequent urination. Anyone with any experience with diabetes? I figure it would be unusual for neuropathy to be the first symptom.

.Poppy.
14-04-22, 16:44
It's almost certainly a trapped nerve.

Do you go in for a yearly wellness exam? They will catch type 2 diabetes really early with a simple blood test. My mom has been pre-diabetic for years and has had made diet changes as a result, which has worked really well.

scared88
14-04-22, 16:53
It's almost certainly a trapped nerve.

Do you go in for a yearly wellness exam? They will catch type 2 diabetes really early with a simple blood test. My mom has been pre-diabetic for years and has had made diet changes as a result, which has worked really well.

What makes you think it's a trapped nerve?
Yearly wellness exams aren't really that much of a thing here unless you're actually diagnosed with something. Healthy people usually just go to a doctor when they need to.

Catkins
14-04-22, 18:09
When I'm very anxious I get tingling finger tips at times. It's part of the fight or flight response, I was told years ago it's because the blood gets centralised because if you were in a battle and someone chopped your arm off you'd have a better chance of survival.

It isn't an early sign of diabetes.

JulieJay92
14-04-22, 18:32
i get this when either my magnesium or calcium levels are low and can be confirmed by blood test for those specific issues, i usually have to go to hospital for afew hrs for an iv drip top up

scared88
14-04-22, 18:41
Interesting about the magnesium, thank you. I recently started supplementing with magnesium will be interesting to see if I start to generally feel better once it kicks in.

Fishmanpa
14-04-22, 23:56
You've been in a HA spiral for some time now. This is just another psychological symptom, along with Dr Google, that exasperates your mental issue.

FMP

scared88
15-04-22, 01:18
You've been in a HA spiral for some time now. This is just another psychological symptom, along with Dr Google, that exasperates your mental issue.

FMP

Yes, however I do remember having these sometime last year though too and I wasn't an anxious mess then. I suppose though the fact that it hasn't worsened in the course of few months means it's all good but still.....

Fishmanpa
15-04-22, 01:27
You're in a HA spiral. If you truly feel you're seriously ill, Go to the hospital or doctor. Let us know what they say :)

FMP

JulieJay92
15-04-22, 10:38
i agree FMP, i didnt know what was causing mine and my head spiralled then dr decided to test my magnesium and calcium levels. Since having to have it topped up via and IV drip it has finally gone. They now check every 6 months unless i have the tingling etc then i arrange via gp for bloods

sarahsarah
21-04-22, 21:55
This would be a symptom of nerve damage caused by years of uncontrolled diabetes, not a first sign that you might have it.

Diabetes can of course be present without any symptoms at all but you would notice a lot of other things and take yourself along to the doctor before nerve damage came into play.

Please don’t worry. Diabetes is not the end of the world anyway, far from it, but it doesn’t sound like this is the problem at all.