PDA

View Full Version : Could my pounding chest be cause of GERD or hiatal hernia?

scared88
23-04-22, 17:47
Hi, anyone here with experience with GERD or hiatal hernia? I've been having some very noticeable (at least to me) pulsations in my chest and neck. Seen two different doctors and both listened to my heart and said that nothing sounded out of the ordinary and didn't hear anything wrong with my valves and my pulse is stable. I did see someone mention GERD and HH as the culprit for their palps and I'm wondering if that could be it. I do belch quite a bit and I sometimes get chest stings and shortness of breath. Lately I've been having my heart issues after bending over for whilst working on something. But that could all just be in my head.

ErinKC
24-04-22, 14:13
I recently had a really bad bout of palpitations. I get them occasionally and they have never bothered me, but this felt like it was going on and on and on - like a constant flattering sensation in my chest. I worried me so much that I went to my doctor the next day and she did an EKG - everything was normal. She felt a few normal skips when she listened, but nothing out of the ordinary. I also felt the sensation the whole time I was hooked to the EKG, but there was no sign of palpitations on it. My GERD had been terrible that week as well and looking back I think that might have been it - Sometimes my GERD presents like bad heartburn, sometimes with burping/indigestion, but I remembered that occasionally it will be more subtle with almost a bubbling sensation in my chest. I think that's what was happening. I was also having shortness of breath, which my GERD will do as well.

scared88
24-04-22, 19:24
I recently had a really bad bout of palpitations. I get them occasionally and they have never bothered me, but this felt like it was going on and on and on - like a constant flattering sensation in my chest. I worried me so much that I went to my doctor the next day and she did an EKG - everything was normal. She felt a few normal skips when she listened, but nothing out of the ordinary. I also felt the sensation the whole time I was hooked to the EKG, but there was no sign of palpitations on it. My GERD had been terrible that week as well and looking back I think that might have been it - Sometimes my GERD presents like bad heartburn, sometimes with burping/indigestion, but I remembered that occasionally it will be more subtle with almost a bubbling sensation in my chest. I think that's what was happening. I was also having shortness of breath, which my GERD will do as well.

Thank you for replying Erin. I've been so tired and out of breath today, it feels like when I'm at my most anxious but I'm of course fixated on my heart. I think I can get some over the counter PPIs like Omeprazole. Do you know if they would help with this and end up calming the heart stuff too?