PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living

Pages : [1] 2

fishman65
05-05-22, 14:59
Is anyone else struggling with this right now? I had our energy bill today from British Gas and I don't know how many times I've asked for a monthly bill. They keep sending quarterly. Car insurance I had to stop the direct debit due to insufficient funds and now have a £20 late payment fee. This has been introduced recently despite their assurance it hasn't.

Being a carer for Mrs F, we can't afford these bills in large chunks. This winter really will see us heating or eating I think.

Pamplemousse
05-05-22, 16:43
Mate, I'm really sorry to read this. As you might know, I'm self-employed and as I write this, I am owed a four-figure sum and repeated requests for payment are not answered. The bank balance is in red at the moment, same as it is every month. Last winter was thankfully a mild one and so I was able to run my electric fire at a low setting and keep my main living area to 15C/59F. Blankets were necessary at times and this cut my heating bill drastically. Yet I pass a house every morning that's lit up with up-and-downlighters from dusk to dawn and has some permanently-lit "statement piece" that sort of looks like a giant letter Q in a massive window at the front of the house. How the other half live.

For the first time in my life, I am now paying over £100 to fill the tank of the car - and that is petrol, not diesel. I have no choice - no chance of getting as well-paid work locally.

Short of you changing energy supplier and finding someone who *will* let you pay your utilities monthly, I don't know what to suggest.

pulisa
05-05-22, 18:02
Have you looked at the SSE supplier option, Fishman? I really don't rate British Gas services now. So much hassle to contact and always on strike as well.

I lead a very frugal lifestyle anyway and am trying not to think about what lies ahead. It may not be as bad as we fear next winter.

Carnation
05-05-22, 19:21
Fishman, turn off any unused appliance, especially before going to bed. It can literally save you a huge chunk.
I don't have a tumble dryer or dishwasher so I save there.
Gas is a difficult one because its heating and sometimes cooking. A steamer saves because you only have the one ring lit on the cooker. If you can, get a oil fired heater, they chuck out loads of heat during the winter.
Sewerage is estimated on your water usage but also what goes down the sink. So use the shortish cycle on the washing machine and things like not leaving the tap running when brushing your teeth or washing your hands can all help.
Battery operated lights can last for ages and act as a lamp or night light.
The kettle uses a huge amount of electric so only fill it for the amount you need.
With car insurance, tell them you are looking for a better deal, speak to a salesperson and you may find they can do you a much better deal saving you quite a bit. Garage and off road parking minimises cost.
But generally, I agree. Everything going up all the time including food. So buy stuff on deals and hoard if you can.

Lencoboy
05-05-22, 21:09
I guess this is something we all have to face up to over the coming months, and I agree with Carnation about rethinking our priorities and trying to be more frugal with our leccy, gas, water, etc, which is probably far more productive than incessantly bemoaning the current situation and playing the 'blame game', etc, plus many other countries around the world are also feeling the pinch right now.

Also, tweaking many of our lifestyles may potentially have benefits in the long run, like using less leccy/gas/water, and (when and where possible) using our vehicles less.

And will certainly be better for both the environment and our general longer-term health.

Lencoboy
05-05-22, 21:13
Yet I pass a house every morning that's lit up with up-and-downlighters from dusk to dawn and has some permanently-lit "statement piece" that sort of looks like a giant letter Q in a massive window at the front of the house. How the other half live.

Good god PM, they must have dosh to burn right now!

Plus it's also a drain on the planet and contributing to global warming to have constant 'Blackpool Illuminations' on one's property day in day out!

fishman65
05-05-22, 22:13
Thanks for these ideas guys, I thought I'd set 'instant notification' for replies so hadn't checked back in to see.

I knew that any appliance that generates heat uses by far the most electric, the in-house display shoots up whenever the kettle is on. Ditto the tumble dryer which I'd already cut the use of drastically. Mrs F and daughter insist on soft fluffy towels but that's going out the window.

I'd started turning off appliances at the plug, eg the microwave. Tbh we hardly cook meals now, I eat porridge which is 4 mins 50 secs in the microwave. The only other thing I cook is boiled eggs, the rest is nuts, fruit and bags of green salad.

Then there's the fish tank. That may have to go, though it barely registers on the IHD. Food bank here we come.

.Poppy.
05-05-22, 22:16
I feel you. Am looking toward a career change as I simply need to earn more, especially with the way things are heading.

I’m lucky I was able to buy my house last year, as rents are rising and I probably couldn’t afford to rent anything that wasn’t a moldy basement now. I am also lucky that for now I can walk to work as that saves me on gas, even though I do have to drive for errands or on weekends. But with utilities and the price of food rising, it is getting tight. I hate having to make those calls at the store, or holding off on health care to try to save here and there.

fishman65
05-05-22, 22:20
Have you looked at the SSE supplier option, Fishman? I really don't rate British Gas services now. So much hassle to contact and always on strike as well.

I lead a very frugal lifestyle anyway and am trying not to think about what lies ahead. It may not be as bad as we fear next winter.Pulisa, I managed to get through on the phone to BG today, something of a miracle in itself. They assure me they have switched my bills to monthly from this point on. The big mistake was getting smart meters, before that we had dumb prepayment ones and knew exactly where we stood. SSE, is that Southern Electric?

Pamplemousse
06-05-22, 05:39
SSE = OVO Electric.

One other thing to help is as conventional ones fail, change to LED lightbulbs. They use tiny amounts of electricity. On the landing I have a battery-operated LED lamp with a PIR sensor in it which saves me putting on the main lights for the inevitable trips to the loo at night.

NoraB
06-05-22, 06:32
Is anyone else struggling with this right now? I had our energy bill today from British Gas and I don't know how many times I've asked for a monthly bill. They keep sending quarterly. Car insurance I had to stop the direct debit due to insufficient funds and now have a £20 late payment fee. This has been introduced recently despite their assurance it hasn't.

Being a carer for Mrs F, we can't afford these bills in large chunks. This winter really will see us heating or eating I think.

I have a health condition which means I need to stay warm - even in summer I can need the heating on, and several layers of clothing. Or I can go to the other extreme and overheat - needing to go lie down in the fridge for a few days- either way - this all takes more energy. This week I've mostly been in bed under my electric blanket and with heat pads. Our energy bill came in for the first time since the changes and I think I died for a bit? Or at least went into shock. My immediately reaction was to turn off the heating and try to cope but this has resulted in one of the biggest flare ups of my condition that I've ever had so I'm going to have to re-think this one but as other people have said, there are ways to make some savings. (try telling that to the teenage boy who thinks the lights turn themselves off)

I also crawled down from my pit the other day to discover that my husband had attempted to 'help' me by putting a wash on. I appreciate the gesture but the dude didn't think to change the temperature and he was washing my synthetics on a 60 degree wash (I always wash at 30) so I had to stop the wash, drain it all off, and start again. :whistles:

Lencoboy
06-05-22, 17:54
SSE = OVO Electric.

One other thing to help is as conventional ones fail, change to LED lightbulbs. They use tiny amounts of electricity. On the landing I have a battery-operated LED lamp with a PIR sensor in it which saves me putting on the main lights for the inevitable trips to the loo at night.

Nowadays I tend to use battery powered LED lamps as 'night lights' as I can never sleep in absolute pitch black, and recharge their batteries when needed.

I also have a mains powered fan that I like to hear the blowing sound from when I'm trying to nod off and I set it to turn itself off via its built-in timer at a certain time once I'm finally spark out.

Furthermore, I have set up a lower-power audio system in my room, which is an all-in-one CD player/radio tuner/amplifier unit with a separate pair of speakers that are already set up, and my (separate) vinyl record player which is connected to the AUX input on the rear panel next to the speaker output jacks. The headphone output socket is conveniently situated on the front face of the unit.

It switches itself off after X amount of time of lying idle (with the power on), plus its digital display unit dims itself automatically after about 30 seconds.

It actually sounds better than the unit I was using before and obviously more economical to use, plus of course better for the planet in the long run.

As for my existing record player unit (which of course is also retained in the setup), it has an auto-return cycle that operates at the end of each record side anyway.

All the TV sets in our house also shut themselves off automatically if left on but untouched for X amount of time, which is a very well-thought-out and forward-thinking design by Samsung.

pulisa
06-05-22, 18:01
I'm sure your husband wouldn't want you to suffer as a result of trying to cut down on heating bills, Nora and unless he has asked you to then you must assume that he's able to afford to keep you comfortable when you need the extra warmth for pain management. Are you eligible for any benefits in view of your fibro diagnosis?

I've taken to sweeping my carpets with a dustpan and brush instead of using the hoover..I've never owned a dishwasher or a tumbledryer and my thermostat has been set to 15 degrees over the winter. I don't have a smart meter either. I do use my washing machine a lot at 30 degrees only but can't change that due to necessity.

Catkins
06-05-22, 18:30
Yes definitely noticed a real change over the last few months. Prices just keep going up. Fortunately until a couple of months ago I got 10% off my shopping at Morrisons because of working for the NHS, once it was gone I was straight back to Aldi.

I'm also pretty frugal in general, which is why we can afford to go and do things. Although when pricing trains to London earlier today I nearly fell off my perch. Accommodation is on the credit card, concert tickets were paid for an eon ago because of Covid and most importantly not going to miss out on seeing my son. So will have to pay the ridiculous prices and cut back elsewhere.

fishman65
06-05-22, 20:00
So many people struggling, I suppose this is the kickback from the covid lockdowns and the hornet's nest in the Kremlin. We don't have a dishwasher, I've never seen the point in them. You could have washed the dishes by hand in the time it takes to load it up. They do use less water though I think I read somewhere, so swings and roundabouts.

I've come up with the idea of boiling 6 eggs at a time instead of two, then I can put the other 4 in the fridge for days 2 and 3.

pulisa
06-05-22, 21:06
Good idea! Maybe we should share money saving ideas on here and see who can come up with the most original suggestions?

NoraB
07-05-22, 07:00
I'm sure your husband wouldn't want you to suffer as a result of trying to cut down on heating bills, Nora and unless he has asked you to then you must assume that he's able to afford to keep you comfortable when you need the extra warmth for pain management.

No, he hasn't asked me to do that. His body would be found in our generously sized manhole in the back yard if he ever tried to take my blankie away from me! :lac:

We're ok. Most families will have had to make adjustments and we're no exception.

I've taken to sweeping my carpets with a dustpan and brush instead of using the hoover..I've never owned a dishwasher or a tumbledryer and my thermostat has been set to 15 degrees over the winter. I don't have a smart meter either. I do use my washing machine a lot at 30 degrees only but can't change that due to necessity.

We do have a smart meter. I'm eyeballing it right now. :scared15:

Carnation
07-05-22, 09:26
I've taken to sweeping my carpets with a dustpan and brush instead of using the hoover..I've never owned a dishwasher or a tumbledryer and my thermostat has been set to 15 degrees over the winter. I don't have a smart meter either. I do use my washing machine a lot at 30 degrees only but can't change that due to necessity

Pulisa, that will either do your back or knees in. You could do with a eubank carpet sweeper. My mum and dad had one and was brilliant! Probably hard to find now.

I do think going back to our parents or grandparents ways of housekeeping would be very handy now.
I use a clothes horse for drying my clothes through the winter, I still do a bit of hand washing in the summer.
I also remember my gran painstakingly smoothing and folding clothes to put in the airing cupboard and wouldn't need ironing.
Like fishman says, anything that heats up will eat away at the electric usage.
I find food and general household items so expensive now. Hardly any deals. Sandwich fillers in particular. Eggs and tuna seem to be the cheapest, not together, lol.
Pasta and spaghetti are long lasting and make several meals. A chicken is still good value. Mince and stewing steak. Burgers. Veggies are expensive, so grow as much as you can. You don't need a garden, pots will suffice.
Get those battery operated fairy lights back up and candles give off heat, light and ambience.

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 09:52
I do think going back to our parents or grandparents ways of housekeeping would be very handy now.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Carnation, and will be of greater benefit to the planet in the long run.

Just like with the Global Financial Crisis back in 2008-11, I can already sense an undercurrent of Britain-bashing over this, as if certain people once again believe the UK to be the only country in the world affected by this and everything's fine and dandy elsewhere, and the playing the usual 'UK the sick man of Europe' card for the umpteenth time!

Whilst of course there will always be variables between different countries, it's still pretty much a global issue.

Also the media are treating this as the latest 'Armageddon' and will no doubt become a vicious circle!

Carnation
07-05-22, 10:42
We made cuts during the pandemic Lencoboy and have kept them going.
I now cut Mr C's hair. I've always cut my own so that saves literally hundreds per year.
And now we don't eat or drink out. Even 2 cups of tea could set you back a fiver. If we go anywhere we take from home in our flasks. We have our lunch at home before we go out or take with us.

Darksky
07-05-22, 13:39
I’ve started dying my own hair. At the hairdresser it used to cost £70 but now I can get two boxes for a tenner of actually a nicer colour and I’ve trained Mr.D to do it.
Im also in the process of retraining my eldest son who has arrived back home. He is one of those that wears a pair of jeans once and then bungs them in the wash basket. After finding them, unwashed and folded back in his wardrobe he’s getting the message… working in an office all day does not get your jeans dirty.
My favourite thing is my ceiling clothes horse. I don’t know what they’re called but old houses used to have them. A pulley thing with slats.
when we moved here, there was one in the back. I loved it because it reminded me when we had one when I was little….but I never used it. Now I’m on a cost cutting drive there’s always clothes on it.
Things get turned off at the wall, not left on standby…apparently that eats up electricity.
Definately don’t eat out, although I did read it cost £4 to cook a Sunday lunch.

I think we will not be too bad now the summer is here but I think come winter, that’s when we will feel it. Particularly my mother who is permanently cold anyway. But she spends very little anyway, so I think spending cash on keeping warm is the right thing to do. I watched that interview with Susannah Reid and Boris. She looked fuming when she was telling him about that oap who had one meal per day and spent her time riding buses all day to keep warm. And all he took from it was that he was the one who had introduced the all day free rides.

But you’re right Lenco, it’s not just us in this mess.

pulisa
07-05-22, 13:56
I thought Susanna Reid did a great job demolishing Boris Johnson's bravado. He just couldn't resist trying to big himself up at the expense of a poverty stricken pensioner who knows more about the true cost of living than he ever will. To be honest I think it is the pensioners who have very little income who will really suffer from this crisis. Too proud to ask for help and stoic to the last..They are the true victims.

I've actually got my dad's old ewbank, Carnation...Thanks for the suggestion. Why didn't I think of that?!:)

Darksky
07-05-22, 14:06
I’ve had a look and they sell new carpet sweepers on ebay.:yesyes: My mother kept a house full of carpets clean with one and not an iota of leccy used.

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 15:44
But you’re right Lenco, it’s not just us in this mess.

That's the crux of it.

What I have always found jarring is there's many who seem to believe that recessions/economic crises and poor quality of life experiences in general only ever happen in the UK and look to other countries (e.g, Spain) with rose-tinted specs.

Whilst on the subject of Spain I saw a post on another forum from a person bemoaning the fact that they can't afford to go on holiday to Benidorm like they used to multiple times per year pre-pandemic.

As far as I'm concerned, being unable to afford ritual holidays abroad every year is a walk in the park compared to being unable to afford to feed oneself and/or keep oneself warm!

Even well into the 80s holidays abroad were still an expensive luxury for the vast majority of us, and only happened once every few years, never mind multiple times a year which seemed to had become the norm for many from the 90s right up until the onset of the pandemic!

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 15:57
I thought Susanna Reid did a great job demolishing Boris Johnson's bravado. He just couldn't resist trying to big himself up at the expense of a poverty stricken pensioner who knows more about the true cost of living than he ever will. To be honest I think it is the pensioners who have very little income who will really suffer from this crisis. Too proud to ask for help and stoic to the last..They are the true victims.

I've actually got my dad's old ewbank, Carnation...Thanks for the suggestion. Why didn't I think of that?!:)

Dare I say it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of those pensioners actually voted for Boris and Co back in 2019, hoping he would return us to the 'good ol' days' that both never were and certainly haven't materialised (for obvious reasons), but have since instead been in for some nasty shocks!

But surely, no matter who was in power right now, they would be getting it in the neck over this COL crisis, regardless of party or PM, as it happened just the same with Gordon Brown and New Labour at the end of the 2000s with the GF crisis, which in turn, they were basically powerless to prevent, despite their best efforts at the time.

Darksky
07-05-22, 16:32
Dare I say it, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of those pensioners actually voted for Boris and Co back in 2019, hoping he would return us to the 'good ol' days' that both never were and certainly haven't materialised (for obvious reasons), but have since instead been in for some nasty shocks!

But surely, no matter who was in power right now, they would be getting it in the neck over this COL crisis, regardless of party or PM, as it happened just the same with Gordon Brown and New Labour at the end of the 2000s with the GF crisis, which in turn, they were basically powerless to prevent, despite their best efforts at the time.

True, true.
It doesn’t matter who is in power. This thing is global and no matter what government was in charge they would be floundering now. Politicians of any party do not live the lives of the voters…the real strugglers.

Pamplemousse
07-05-22, 16:54
I’ve had a look and they sell new carpet sweepers on ebay.:yesyes: My mother kept a house full of carpets clean with one and not an iota of leccy used.

Personally, I'm delighted to see that those mainstays for decades in this market - Ewbank and Bissell - are still in business!

https://www.ewbank.co.uk/product-category/sweepers/
https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/sweepers

I still have our Leifheit "Rotaro" :)

Carnation
07-05-22, 17:57
I wish I'd kept my mum's ewbank sweeper, but good to hear they are still going. Going to try and hunt one down.
My dad had an old fashioned mower as well which did just as well if not better than an electric mower. I'll put that on my list together with a portable barbecue. :)

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 18:44
Personally, I'm delighted to see that those mainstays for decades in this market - Ewbank and Bissell - are still in business!

https://www.ewbank.co.uk/product-category/sweepers/
https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/sweepers

I still have our Leifheit "Rotaro" :)

Sorry to be negative, but I bet you a tenner that those sweepers are no longer manufactured in the UK.

Nevertheless, definitely good in the long run for both the planet and saving money on leccy bills.

I find the name Ewbank really amusing, especially as it became a 'brandnomer' at one time (similar to Hoover)!

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 19:03
True, true.
It doesn’t matter who is in power. This thing is global and no matter what government was in charge they would be floundering now. Politicians of any party do not live the lives of the voters…the real strugglers.

Absolutely Darksky.

I think, as per usual, the media are revelling in this COL crisis as it's the latest in a long line of things to put the fear of God into us over, especially as Covid is now far less newsworthy plus not as much on the Ukraine conflict ATM to make a song and dance over.

But at least recessions/economic crises, while still dead horrible for many, are IMO the least evil compared to, say, full-on world wars or pandemics.

Plus of course they don't warrant lockdowns!

pulisa
07-05-22, 19:41
I wish I'd kept my mum's ewbank sweeper, but good to hear they are still going. Going to try and hunt one down.
My dad had an old fashioned mower as well which did just as well if not better than an electric mower. I'll put that on my list together with a portable barbecue. :)

You can get them (ewbanks) on the Robert Dyas website, Carnation..

Maybe I should look into washing mangles and go back to washing clothes in the bath....Last resort, I think. My poor mum was a slave to that wretched mangle..We are so lucky to have labour saving devices today. It's so easy to press a few buttons and the hard work is done for you.

Lencoboy
07-05-22, 20:40

Maybe I should look into washing mangles and go back to washing clothes in the bath....Last resort, I think. My poor mum was a slave to that wretched mangle..We are so lucky to have labour saving devices today. It's so easy to press a few buttons and the hard work is done for you.

We only tend to put the washing machine on once a week anyway, plus I tend to wear the same pair of trousers/jeans/joggers and jumpers/ cardies for about 3-4 days.

Ditto for showering, although I do still wash my face, etc and brush my teeth on a daily basis.

I've heard/read that even as late as the 70s many people would only bathe once a week, usually on Sundays, and hardly anyone gave it as much as a second thought.

Carnation
07-05-22, 22:04
Thanks Pulisa, I’ll have a look.

Carnation
07-05-22, 22:08
Darksky, you can tell your son it’s not good for the jeans to be washed too often. I think it was Levi’s who stated this.

Pamplemousse
07-05-22, 23:06

I had occasion to work in Athens a couple of decades ago. I couldn't find a laundrette anywhere, so I used to wash my clothes in the bath and hang them on the balcony to dry. As for mangles, my great-aunt had a Servis washing machine that had a wringer you plugged into the top, and then she transferred the washing to a separate little spin dryer. By the time it'd been through all that, they were practically dry anyway - so no problem in the winter when they would be put on a wooden clothes-horse in front of the fire.

Hers was a more modern version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnaQvYAU1IA

Ponder
08-05-22, 00:12
Invest in electric propulsion and put the savings into your home power bill. Electric bike or scooter being an option for quick runs that don't involve hording lots of stuff you can't afford. I now use a pushbike with my own power and thus far has saved hundreds if not thousands. Prioritize your power use, but yes - inequality is further becoming more evident among those who love to quote and vote. Is only set to get worse in those communities. If things continue as is, we will soon have American tent cites. Rents have skyrockets here with many more homeless through not fault of their own.

Things like bellow can help for those of use privileged with lots of spare time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9EI56PoXzo

Catkins
08-05-22, 07:09
I am seriously going to look into getting one of those carpet sweepers now. I've often thought how handy it would be.

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who suffers from the cold. Merino thermal underwear is an absolute godsend. It's absolutely ridiculously expensive new but it does come up on Ebay second hand (I get most of my clothes/shoes second hand on ebay - except underwear). It's warm and if you get 100% wool it's antimicrobial so it doesn't smell so you can wear it a few days. I have two long sleeved vests and honestly they are brilliant.

With regards to ebay my most successful purchase recently was some Sketchers trainers for £2.77 + postage. Only worn a few times, clean and the only sign of wear was the underside of the sole was very slightly discoloured.

pulisa
08-05-22, 08:08
Thanks for these tips, Catkins..I'm always cold and have Raynauds so rely on thermal anything to help. I think ebay has a lot of gems if you look carefully. Ditto charity shops. I've recently picked up a couple of barely worn tops for £1 each.

The Skechers sound a real bargain! I recently bought some at half price (I have big feet!) but well done you for spotting that giveaway!

NoraB
08-05-22, 09:26
I am seriously going to look into getting one of those carpet sweepers now. I've often thought how handy it would be.

My mum had a Ewbank for decades (same one). I used to use it as a mike & stand when I was pretending to be Kate Bush. :whistles:

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who suffers from the cold. Merino thermal underwear is an absolute godsend. It's absolutely ridiculously expensive new but it does come up on Ebay second hand (I get most of my clothes/shoes second hand on ebay - except underwear). It's warm and if you get 100% wool it's antimicrobial so it doesn't smell so you can wear it a few days. I have two long sleeved vests and honestly they are brilliant.

I always wear my vest. Even under short sleeved shirts ha. I look a div but I'm past caring..

With regards to ebay my most successful purchase recently was some Sketchers trainers for £2.77 + postage. Only worn a few times, clean and the only sign of wear was the underside of the sole was very slightly discoloured.

I had a nice pair of summer shoes on EBAY once. I got those an a very stubborn toe fungus for a fiver. Bargain!

Only shoes which are worn with socks for me now..

Carnation
08-05-22, 10:07
Eubank sweeper ordered. :) I'm quite looking forward to it coming. Love the sound it makes. Reminds me of home.

Nora, I'm wary of second hand shoes too. As I have problematic feet, I too would wear a covering.
If you can pick up a sheepskin coat it would also act as a blanket covering. My parents also used sleeping bags on the bed in the winter as they had no heating. I would always wear bed socks and a hot water bottle. Still do now. Heat escapes from the body through your head and feet so wear a beanie hat too.
My parents would shut off one of the downstairs rooms and it's heating. The heavy lined curtains would also go up in the winter. And a stew or soup on the go would be the only heating in the kitchen.
Towelling bathrobes another handy item.
I'm in the vest club too. It will only come off if over 24c. :yesyes:

pulisa
08-05-22, 13:50
We're a glamorous lot, aren't we? At least no talk of lisle stockings yet..:D That's real Nora Batty territory.

Carnation
08-05-22, 14:10
Lol Pulisa. Who cares about fashion, this is survival. :yesyes:

Lencoboy
08-05-22, 18:36
Lol Pulisa. Who cares about fashion, this is survival. :yesyes:

Exactly.

But (for better or worse) it does seem that many people have returned to a lot of their old pre-pandemic habits and a lot of the much-fabled 'new normal' never really materialised.

I wonder how long it will be before the serial conspiracy theorists start sticking the knife in and making out that this COL crisis has either been deliberately 'engineered' by the authorities in order to 'control' us or it's a complete and utter con ITO?

Plus the usual blame-gaming sadcases who often use hard times as an excuse for poor practices?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not in any way attempting to trivialise this current situation but the thought of certain unscrupulous individuals doing the above really fills me with dread, as I've already witnessed such phenomena from others time and time again during virtually all past crises.

NoraB
09-05-22, 06:10
Eubank sweeper ordered. :) I'm quite looking forward to it coming. Love the sound it makes. Reminds me of home.

I remember that sound C. Also my mum saying, 'Shift yer feet!' :roflmao:

Heat escapes from the body through your head and feet so wear a beanie hat too.

I struggle to wear hats. I can feel that I'm wearing them and the bands give me headaches. I have to wear this straw thingy when I'm out in the sun or my fibro goes nuts but I hate wearing it. I knit myself a very soft beanie but it's still Princess & the Pea. I couldn't sleep with a hat on..:scared15:

NoraB
09-05-22, 06:13
We're a glamorous lot, aren't we? At least no talk of lisle stockings yet..:D That's real Nora Batty territory.

I was rocking the wrinkled tights when I was a kid, P. I was on the petite side and my mum believe in value for money so I invariably had to grow into things. :whistles:

Carnation
09-05-22, 10:17
Some hats can give me headaches too Nora.
I get the lightest and biggest beanie and wear a featherlight men's sunhat in the summer.
The same with glasses. Have to be so light because any pressure on my nose and I'm in for it.
As for 'princess and the pea', I can feel a crumb on the sofa through my jeans, lol.
I hated wearing tights, made my legs look even skinnier. But still got my leg warmers which I highly recommend for keeping the warmth in. My knees feel the cold because nowadays they make coats too short, so I pull them up over my knees. :yesyes:

Darksky
09-05-22, 10:32
This is true about coats being too short. They are nothing but long jackets now. They sort of sit just below your hips and leave your legs freezing.
I don’t get on with gloves. I hate my hands all covered up and can’t seem to use them as well. I’d rather have filthy hands than wear gardening gloves :shrug:

Carnation
09-05-22, 11:51
Fingerless gloves Darksky :winks:

NoraB
09-05-22, 13:16
As for 'princess and the pea', I can feel a crumb on the sofa through my jeans, lol.

Yup. One of a few books that made any sense to me at school lol. Janet & John? :huh: Princess & the Pea? :read:

But still got my leg warmers which I highly recommend for keeping the warmth in.

I used to wear them back in the 80s. I was obsessed with the Fame movie. Wearing legwarmers was as close as it got because I can't dance. Coordination is a bit of an issue all round to be fair..

Also, my dad didn't appreciate me flinging myself across the bonnet of his Morris Marina. It looked cool in the movie whereas I must have looked like I was having some kind of fit? :unsure:

Irene Cara might have been living forever but it wasn't looking that good for me when I saw my old man quick-stepping up the driveway! :ohmy: :roflmao:

Pamplemousse
09-05-22, 16:36
Looking at my bank statement just now (always sobering) I noticed a payment from my council - to wit, the £150 "energy rebate" that's actually a loan.

Has anyone else had this?

Lencoboy
09-05-22, 16:47
Last week, I suggested to the staff at my day centre that they get automated motion-sensing light switches installed throughout the building (especially in the toilets) and also spring-loaded taps on the wash basins in the toilets (which some clients sometimes leave running).

But hey ho, my suggestions (as per usual) were totally pooh-poohed and the staff not only played the 'it's far too dear' card but also the typical 'red tape' card!

Talk about indifference and being blatantly uninterested in attempting to find practical solutions for problems?

I do believe 'red tape' is far too readily used as a get-out clause for far too many things nowadays!

Plus while it might be 'dear' to make such changes ATM in the short term, they can't grasp the fact that it's likely to save on leccy, gas and water bills in the long run!

Lencoboy
09-05-22, 19:13
Last week, I suggested to the staff at my day centre that they get automated motion-sensing light switches installed throughout the building (especially in the toilets) and also spring-loaded taps on the wash basins in the toilets (which some clients sometimes leave running).

But hey ho, my suggestions (as per usual) were totally pooh-poohed and the staff not only played the 'it's far too dear' card but also the typical 'red tape' card!

Talk about indifference and being blatantly uninterested in attempting to find practical solutions for problems?

I do believe 'red tape' is far too readily used as a get-out clause for far too many things nowadays!

Plus while it might be 'dear' to make such changes ATM in the short term, they can't grasp the fact that it's likely to save on leccy, gas and water bills in the long run!

I know I might be coming across as a bit paranoid but I just dread the thought of my day centre having to close down due to crippling running costs and the staff seemingly having their heads buried in the sand ATM and unenthusiastic about getting more energy-efficient upgrades done to parts of the building, such as the aforementioned motion-sensing light switching and spring-loaded taps.

I remember suggesting similar measures to the staff at my previous day centre back in 2008 when the GFC was rearing its ugly head and was pooh-poohed just the same by them as well with the typical 'red tape', 'Staffs CC won't provide the funds', blah blah blah!

One person on another forum is even pre-empting that the price of a single loaf of bread will be £50 (or more) each by the end of this year, though they have always come across as a bit of a 'know-it-all' type anyway, plus such predictions seem a little OTT to me.

I know they're all hypothetical worst-case scenario right now, but I'm just concerned that they might become self-fulfilling prophecies, especially the way the gutter press always seem to revel in crises generally.

fishman65
29-10-22, 15:34
Just thought I'd bump this up as I'm having to cancel DDs regarding British Gas. Had a massive panic yesterday and not much better today. Mrs F doesn't know why I'm getting stressed.

Darksky
29-10-22, 15:49
Yes but we do, I think we all would be stressed:hugs:

I am getting increasingly alarmed at our grocery shopping bill. Every week it goes up and up. Our trolley is getting smaller and smaller and yet the bill at the end is going the opposite way.

I’ve always cooked from scratch and they say that’s cheapest but I’m not so sure. How do they expect people to eat healthily when high fat, sugar and salt ping meals are so much cheaper! Meat is getting priced out of the trolley and as for fish. Again it’s good for you but the price now is creeping up to unaffordable.

Sorry rant over…I have just done our grocery shop you can tell.:mad:

Plus! I forgot to say….we have just had our credit card bill….We had to put Sams treatment and cremation on it and now that damn thing is due. That’s £400 down before even November starts! Sometimes duvets seem temptingly enticing don’t they :weep:

Lencoboy
29-10-22, 16:46
Where's the mass anarchy then?

fishman65
29-10-22, 16:49
:bighug1: That's for you Darksky. Oh yes disappear under the duvet, if only we could. Well we 'can' but have to get up in the morning. Vet's bills are never cheap are they. And to effectively be charged for having your heart broken. Our black lab had her Metacam this week, luckily she didn't need a consultation but its still 40 quid for a small bottle. But we love our pets.

As regards food, I keep telling you about porridge. Its dirt cheap and a wholegrain. I often have it for my main meal, supplemented with hard boiled eggs, tinned mackerel and walnuts. Not all together.

Anyway I've changed the payment method to card with British Gas. It was on DD but I just can't do that now. We have to constantly juggle our finances as we have no cushion. We used to PAYG but the engineer said don't let it get to zero because a mechanism in the meter shuts off the gas supply and you have to get an engineer out. We didn't have that problem with the dumb PAYG meters.

Darksky
29-10-22, 17:52
Our vets are now doing a thing when the pet has to be seen every six months before they will prescribe the medicine. Which adds a consultation fee every other request:lac:

We had to get a bottle of Carprieve the other day. That was 60 odd quid. But he can’t be in pain can he?

Hmmm from that menu I’ll take the eggs…You can keep the porridge, walnuts and tinned mackerel. Although I do like tinned sardines..on toast. Mr.D buys big packets of walnuts and has a handful every so often. I like brazils….chocolate covered brazils:winks:

Our heating is oil fired. The price of oil is terrifying. We have no heating at all and it’s going to remain that way until new year. We are fortunate it’s unseasonably warm aren’t we?

pulisa
29-10-22, 18:05
I for one am making the most of the warm weather and if this is climate change then I'll take it any day over having to turn the heating on and use loads of expensive gas.

Can you buy your vet meds online and just get the vet to write a prescription which you can use to make the order? It's a lot cheaper than buying it from the vet directly.

fishman65
29-10-22, 18:17
Vets know we won't skimp on our pet's medicine, and some can be unscrupulous in taking advantage.

I was reading about brazil nuts having high levels of selenium, so in moderation would be my advice. And without the chocolate :winks: I'm having almonds tonight. Sardines are good, oily fish.

fishman65
29-10-22, 18:22
I for one am making the most of the warm weather and if this is climate change then I'll take it any day over having to turn the heating on and use loads of expensive gas.

Can you buy your vet meds online and just get the vet to write a prescription which you can use to make the order? It's a lot cheaper than buying it from the vet directly.The weather has certainly come out in sympathy for us Pulisa. Its rare not to have had it on at least once by late October. I'm not sure about the vets. We use a 'Vets4Pets' who tend to be a bit cheaper anyway.

Carnation
29-10-22, 19:57
I'm so pleased this thread was created. Any tips on saving will help a bit.
I took pulisa's advice and got my cats meds online. I save £150 a year. I don't take my cat for the routine checkups. £45 for a weigh in, look in the ears, look at the teeth and a feel of the belly. I can do all those things myself. I couldn't help feeling a bit miffed at those appointments.
With the electric, I invested in several battery operated reactor lights for the hallway, spare room and bathroom.
I cook up several things in the oven, then it's just a matter of reheating.
Turn off switches at night.
Check with your service providers to see if you've built up any credit. They won't tell you unless you ask.
As for the weekly shop. Try supermarket brands. Most of the time the products come from the same source. Also have several supermarkets supply you and make use of the offers how little small.

BlueIris
29-10-22, 20:24
That last point is a definite, Carnation. We get online supermarket deliveries and rotate where we get them, and about half the time we're able to use a voucher for 20% off or so.

Know where you're prepared to compromise, too. Cheap Polish pate is fantastic for sandwiches and wonky veg are brilliant, but for us, cheap coffee isn't worth it and neither are meats.

Carnation
29-10-22, 20:28
20% off is a great saving BlueIris :yesyes:

pulisa
29-10-22, 20:29
I think we all need to have some treats we really like because otherwise it all becomes so miserable.

BlueIris
29-10-22, 20:51
Totally agree. I need my smoked salmon every few weeks.

Carnation
29-10-22, 20:57
I agree with that too.... Chocolate! :D

Lencoboy
30-10-22, 08:12
I'm so pleased this thread was created. Any tips on saving will help a bit.
I took pulisa's advice and got my cats meds online. I save £150 a year. I don't take my cat for the routine checkups. £45 for a weigh in, look in the ears, look at the teeth and a feel of the belly. I can do all those things myself. I couldn't help feeling a bit miffed at those appointments.
With the electric, I invested in several battery operated reactor lights for the hallway, spare room and bathroom.
I cook up several things in the oven, then it's just a matter of reheating.
Turn off switches at night.
Check with your service providers to see if you've built up any credit. They won't tell you unless you ask.
As for the weekly shop. Try supermarket brands. Most of the time the products come from the same source. Also have several supermarkets supply you and make use of the offers how little small.

But this thread was actually first created back in May and only 'bumped' yesterday, so hardly a 'new' thread (please excuse my pedantry).

But still as relevant now as back then, probably if not more so.

pulisa
30-10-22, 08:21
Carnation didn't say it was a new thread, Lenco. She was just grateful for its existence in the first place..as are many of us, I'm sure.

pulisa
30-10-22, 08:24
I'm amazed that so many people can afford to keep pets now what with the horrendous prices charged by vets.

I use VetUK and Viovet to avoid being ripped off and charged double!

Carnation
30-10-22, 09:10
Some people have several dogs with several children. I don't know how they manage.
Years ago you'd give your pets the scraps from your own meals. My cat is partial to a bit of chicken and fish. :) And BlueIris, he likes salmon! (When we have a treat).

I see from my newsfeed that people are being told when to put their heating on. Are we not capable of making that choice? I feel the weather is going to change this month. A cold spell normally comes in November then warms up again in December.

BlueIris
30-10-22, 09:12
We're quite lucky, in that we run hot anyway and our downstairs neighbours run cold. The aim is to keep the heating off this year.

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-22, 11:52
Fishman, if you need some help with utilities just ask. Billing & metering at the supplier side was something I was a specialist in years ago. My GF still is so I can always ask her for newer issues.

Yep, we will be resisting the heating as much as possible. We had to have a new boiler in 2 years ago and I'm glad we did otherwise the bills would be much higher. I've been keeping fortnightly gas readings for about 2 years now and the new boiler saves us approx 33%.

Our dog cost us plenty but I would happily have all those insurance payments and food bills back if it meant he was still here. I would be busy spoiling him with treats & toys.

Our vets were doing 12 monthly check ups but my GFs were 6 monthly. We had 6 monthly ones because our dog had an eye condition that needed permanent treatment. The specialist eye vet made her own dosages up so was cheap. When they closed due to Covid we were referred back to our normal vet and the cost tripled because it was sourced via a manufacturer they didn't have a contract with.

Pulisa is absolutely right, I've found some of our meds online far cheaper. The issue is they paying for your vet to write up the prescription.

It's a pain for my GF because one of her cats can need steroid injections for his skin. There are some oral meds and they stopped prescribing them without a check up first. I'm sure you cat lovers know how some cats hate going in travel cages, cars and seeing vets. He was terrified. But still they wouldn't prescribe and she was forced to look for other solutions. She did manage to find food that helped.

Tips wise I would add look to cashback sites. You can get cashback as a % of your shop but you can also find ways to make money without spending anything or a certain amount smaller than the cashback. It can be time consuming but I've earnt a fair bit this year doing it.

Follow Martin Lewis bank switching webpage. If you can, keep switching. It's £100-£200 depending on bank and deal. Several of you in the house and it can seriously mount up. It will crash your credit rating but if you sign up for Experian Boost it will soon bounce back if your have current accounts, credit cards, etc. It took me about 7 months this year to rebuild my credit rating on Experian. I started at almost maximum and dropped down to the low end of poor by opening a few spare bank accounts then switching them to get the deals. Just checks the t&cs first and make sure you have valid IDs if their help pages say they will ask for them. And some need you to pay in a minimum but you can just transfer it back out again allowing you to juggle.

Lencoboy
30-10-22, 12:53
Carnation didn't say it was a new thread, Lenco. She was just grateful for its existence in the first place..as are many of us, I'm sure.

Probably more in the sense that Carnation (and probably others) was/were previously unaware that was already in existence since May, but has only been made aware of it since it was bumped yesterday.

But there's nothing really right or wrong about it, nor has there any been any vindictiveness intended (from me to Carnation).

Carnation
30-10-22, 13:22
Don't worry about it Lencoboy

fishman65
30-10-22, 14:54
Thanks Terry you're a good bloke. Lenco, don't worry mate. You're a good guy and your opinions are much valued. This is a tough time for us all and anxiety is loving it.

Lencoboy
30-10-22, 16:21
Thanks Terry you're a good bloke. Lenco, don't worry mate. You're a good guy and your opinions are much valued. This is a tough time for us all and anxiety is loving it.

Well we are all in this together after all.

Even many on the Right now who previously assumed they were untouchable!

pulisa
30-10-22, 19:51
The CoL crisis doesn't seem to have stopped people buying fireworks..Literally money going up in smoke. I wonder whether the huge New Year fireworks will happen this year? Could the Gov justify forking out for the London extravaganza?

fishman65
30-10-22, 20:05
I was thinking exactly the same Pulisa. Some people are either stupid or wealthy enough to be immune to COLC.

pulisa
30-10-22, 21:08
Not great for climate change either...

Lolalee1
30-10-22, 23:09
Diesel is expensive, I paid $205 filling my car up yesterday.
Over here they banned Cracker night years ago.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-22, 00:07
Over here they banned Cracker night years ago.

That's shameful. Nothing wrong with a Robbie Coltrane box set marathon :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-22, 09:57
Since we are talking about making money I'll add in trick or treating, penny for the guy and carol singing. Every little helps

And the media will likely want to interview you about your desperation.

NoraB
02-11-22, 01:50
I've been struck down with the lurgy, so I foolishly asked Mr Batty to go and do the shopping..

Since the cost of living has shot up, belts have been tightened and my weekly shop is a trog round Aldi for food and then into Home Bargains for my cut-price bog roll and cleaning products..

Not so for Mr Batty..

I gave him a small list of essentials and he spend almost £90. (And half of it was junk food)

When I asked him 'How much?', I almost had a stroke. :scared15:

I was too ill to b0llock him for the FOUR packs of cooked meats (one containing enough ham to feed a cricket team for an entire season). Or the fact that he picked the most expensive washing detergent and conditioner. Or that the bog roll was Andrex! (I haven't bought Andrex, ever!)

I kept telling myself (through gritted teeth) to be grateful that he'd gone out and done the shopping for me.. :scared15:

Buster70
02-11-22, 03:18
These days were all spoilt , I grew up in the seventies when there was no central heating and we had proper winters that started in summer with cold winds and snow , we still don’t have central heating in our house only two rooms have a heater at all , some nights we sit with our hands round a candle , we’re hoping at Christmas someone might buy us a match so we can light it .
Food wise we’ve had to cut back on gruel and the dogs steak and caviar are getting more expensive but she likes a treat and would be happy if we cancelled her weekly shampoo and pedicure.
Diesel was getting expensive so I’ve converted my van to run on hot air which I can get as a byproduct from the House of Commons , there is so much you can just fill your boots for free .
Martin Lewis money saving expert has been a great help I watch tv through his window , he doesn’t seem to mind , or notice , one of the two .
Im saving at least a third on hair cuts by going bald just a short back and sides no need to touch the top anymore , they can’t charge for work not carried out .
Another saving is using both sides of the toilet paper , I say toilet paper it’s actually news paper cut into squares nailed to the wall , scrunched up first it’s quite soft and not at all like sandpaper .
I have loads more money saving tips but the 50p is about to run out in the meter and the leccy with be going off but soon be day light and another beautiful day .
Take care , if you can afford to x

NoraB
02-11-22, 06:43
Another saving is using both sides of the toilet paper , I say toilet paper it’s actually news paper cut into squares nailed to the wall , scrunched up first it’s quite soft and not at all like sandpaper .

Come round our house mate. We're wiping our arses on Andrex Supreme Quilts! :lac:

NoraB
02-11-22, 07:12
Since we are talking about making money I'll add in trick or treating, penny for the guy and carol singing. Every little helps

And the media will likely want to interview you about your desperation.

There's this classy young lady who made thousands selling her farts in a jar. At one point she was making 38,000 a week and her customer base was over 200K.

I'm about to invoice Mr Batty for fifteen years worth! :roflmao:

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 08:47
These days were all spoilt , I grew up in the seventies when there was no central heating and we had proper winters that started in summer with cold winds and snow , we still don’t have central heating in our house only two rooms have a heater at all , some nights we sit with our hands round a candle , we’re hoping at Christmas someone might buy us a match so we can light it .
Food wise we’ve had to cut back on gruel and the dogs steak and caviar are getting more expensive but she likes a treat and would be happy if we cancelled her weekly shampoo and pedicure.
Diesel was getting expensive so I’ve converted my van to run on hot air which I can get as a byproduct from the House of Commons , there is so much you can just fill your boots for free .
Martin Lewis money saving expert has been a great help I watch tv through his window , he doesn’t seem to mind , or notice , one of the two .
Im saving at least a third on hair cuts by going bald just a short back and sides no need to touch the top anymore , they can’t charge for work not carried out .
I have loads more money saving tips but the 50p is about to run out in the meter and the leccy with be going off but soon be day light and another beautiful day .
Take care , if you can afford to x

I think you're probably right there Buster. And not forgetting the fact that most families now have more than one car each, unlike back then where it still wasn't uncommon for some families in a given street to be totally carless. Of course many vehicles of that era that people were lucky enough to own were often unreliable and prone to breaking down and not starting properly every time, which resulted in the common sight of people giving the vehicles a push down the road from behind to get them started. Plus most families today have more than one TV set in their homes unlike back in the 70s (and before) many were lucky enough to just have a single black-and-white rented set in the corner of the living room that was liable to breaking down at the most awkward of times and took ages to 'warm up' prior to proper use.

Yesterday, however, I overheard a staff member at my day centre saying that many people these days seem to have got their priorities wrong; in the sense that they seem to get their knickers in a twist whenever they're unable to go on holidays abroad (either through pandemic-related complications, staff shortages at airports, on planes, etc, or simply being unable to afford it right now), but still seem to have their heads buried in the sand over other more important issues.

Probably those who gleefully revel in Britain-bashing once they return home from their beloved holidays abroad, who have no doubt in turn never set foot in their local polling station, or at least not for donkeys years anyway!

Carnation
02-11-22, 09:40
Buster, you are hilarious :roflmao:
You and nora on the TV. That's what I want. Not together, unless you wanna be a duo. :D

Oh nora :lac: doesn't Mr Batty look at what you use in the home? Obviously not. Could have been a case of running riot. £90 for a short list, oh dear.
I stopped using Andrex when I was no longer working the rat race of London. For some reason it seemed to alleviate my gruelling 10 hour working day. It didn't, It just used to clog the bog. (Tell Mr Batty to use sparingly otherwise he'll end up with a fist down a U-bend).
As you are poorly maybe Mr Batty could make you some ham and eggs, use up some of that ham. I don't suppose he checked the dates. :unsure:

Lencoboy, it amazed me during the lock downs that the first priority on most people's list was a holiday. Suddenly the thought or fear of travelling and staying in a bed used by hundreds of other people wasn't a risk. Neither was the concern for cutting back on fuel or spending money. :lac: Not forgetting the air pollution.

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 10:27
Lencoboy, it amazed me during the lock downs that the first priority on most people's list was a holiday. Suddenly the thought or fear of travelling
and staying in a bed used by hundreds of other people wasn't a risk. Neither was the concern for cutting back on fuel or spending money. :lac: Not forgetting the air pollution.

Absolutely Carnation.

I really can't fathom the mentality of certain factions of our society, including their obsession with multiple holidays abroad every year.

Plus I'm still adamant that a lot of this country's problems are largely self-inflicted, especially among those who simply can't be bothered to set foot in their local polling station during elections but still moan for England (pardon the pun) about how bloody terrible this govt are, what a sh1tehole this country is and then go online to book their umpteenth holiday somewhere in Spain this Christmas whilst at the same time muttering 'Viva Espana, Up yours (Broken) Britain'!:mad:

The above paragraph sums up this one person I know really well.

NoraB
02-11-22, 10:36
Oh nora :lac: doesn't Mr Batty look at what you use in the home? Obviously not. Could have been a case of running riot. £90 for a short list, oh dear.
I stopped using Andrex when I was no longer working the rat race of London. For some reason it seemed to alleviate my gruelling 10 hour working day. It didn't, It just used to clog the bog. (Tell Mr Batty to use sparingly otherwise he'll end up with a fist down a U-bend).

When Mr Batty and I go shopping it's a case of he puts stuff in and I take it out again. :yesyes:

As you are poorly maybe Mr Batty could make you some ham and eggs, use up some of that ham. I don't suppose he checked the dates. :unsure:

Nope. The ham is up on Friday. I always go right to the back of the fridge and get the best date. (Batty Boy just tosses the first one in within reach). :lac:

NoraB
02-11-22, 10:44
Of course many vehicles of that era that people were lucky enough to own were often unreliable and prone to breaking down and not starting properly every time, which resulted in the common sight of people giving the vehicles a push down the road from behind to get them started

Ah, the good old days of choke starting a car on a cold winter's morning. (And the husband shouting, 'YOU'VE FLOODED THE BUGGER AGAIN!!") :yesyes:

Carnation
02-11-22, 11:01
So it's ham with everything then nora?
Ham sandwiches, ham and eggs, ham and chips, ham and cheese toastie, ham and ham! :scared15:

Lencoboy, I'm with you on the voting subject. So many people I know won't vote but as you say, run the country down. :lac: if you are not sure who to vote for then vote tactically. :winks:

NoraB
02-11-22, 11:03
Ham sandwiches, ham and eggs, ham and chips, ham and cheese toastie, ham and ham! :scared15:

I'm on Big Soups cus I is poorly. :weep:

Carnation
02-11-22, 11:05
Hope you get better soon nora :hugs:

NoraB
02-11-22, 11:12
Hope you get better soon nora :hugs:

Thanks, Carn. :hugs:

Grumpy teen had it first, then Batty Boy came down with it for 24 hours. Finally, I have succumbed to the works with rivers of snot, achy face, achy body, sore throat, headaches and cough. (Not COVID).

On the positive side, I have Kleenex Super Quilted to blow my nose on!

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 11:43

Lencoboy, I'm with you on the voting subject. So many people I know won't vote but as you say, run the country down. :lac: if you are not sure who to vote for then vote tactically. :winks:

That's something that I've been concerned about for ages now. People constantly saying this country is going to the dogs and bemoaning our current (Tory) govt as the worst they've ever known, but still seem to pooh-pooh the oppositions often for the most trivial and feeble of reasons; e.g, Starmer, Davey, et el, are too fat, ugly, lacking in charm, charisma, etc. Plus those very same people often being far more concerned about swanning off on holiday to Benidorm for the umpteenth time instead of more immediate issues impacting on them at home, which is definitely brushing the problems under the carpet in the shorter term rather than attempting to help deal with them in the longer term. And then the cycle just keeps repeating itself over and over.

Perhaps it could also be down to politicians (of all parties) and today's younger generation finding it increasingly difficult to relate to each other, as it's often been speculated over recent years that younger people are less politically engaged now than in the past and generally less inclined to vote than previous generations of their age group, coupled with the fact that many people of 40+ increasingly seem to revel in nostalgia and want to stay stuck in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-22, 12:58

"Ham, Ham, Ham, Ham
Ham, ham, Ham, Ham"

"Quiet. Shut up!!!"

:roflmao:

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 13:39
"Ham, Ham, Ham, Ham
Ham, ham, Ham, Ham"

"Quiet. Shut up!!!"

I can't stand ham nor eggs myself (seriously).
Make me want to heave!

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 13:40
I can't stand ham nor eggs myself (seriously).
Make me want to heave!

So do S & V flavour crisps.

fishman65
02-11-22, 14:54
We shop in Waitrose and M&S :D

Carnation
02-11-22, 17:05
Despite what people think about Waitrose being a more up-market supermarket, it has great deals and often.

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 17:25
Despite what people think about Waitrose being a more up-market supermarket, it has great deals and often.

TBH, I've never really understood a lot of this supermarket snobbery that has been around for donkeys years now, especially as ASDA and Tesco in particular have both often been labelled 'underclass' supermarkets, which I have always thought was totally unfair.

To me a supermarket is a supermarket, irrespective of its 'class' associations.

Catkins
02-11-22, 17:40
I don't think we have Waitrose this far north. I don't remember seeing one near here, I might have to google

Catkins
02-11-22, 17:44
Apparently there is one at a motorway services about 30 miles away (in Scotland) and one in Hexham about 54 miles away. By the look of it, there's not a single Waitrose in the whole of Cumbria!

Carnation
02-11-22, 18:04
I actually agree with you lencoboy. I only labelled because when you mention Waitrose or M & S people normally react with "I can't afford to shop there", you must be well off. And that's not the case. It might just be your nearest supermarket or preferred choice.
Waitrose actually charge the least for delivery out of the major supermarkets and the portion sizes are considerably bigger.
And since the ASDA takeover it's got considerably dearer.

That's a shame catkins. We don't have an Aldi or Lidl. And M&S is an hour away.

pulisa
02-11-22, 18:12
Waitrose is my nearest supermarket and i'm always there! I have a MyWaitrose card so get lots of special offers. It's a myth to say it's expensive.

The staff there are so polite and helpful...Certainly a cut above other supermarkets in terms of customer service.

Carnation
02-11-22, 21:08
Apparently the only Supermarket to provide air-conditioning in their vans for the staff.

fishman65
02-11-22, 22:05
Crikey I've started something here. If truth be known I was standing in a Waitrose just the other day, but was using the Timpson's for Dad's watch. In a huge new shopping complex that was built here about 6 years ago, there is a Beaverbrooks. But to fit a new battery (10 minute job) they were going to have to send it abroad?!

Lencoboy
02-11-22, 23:11
I actually agree with you lencoboy. I only labelled because when you mention Waitrose or M & S people normally react with "I can't afford to shop there", you must be well off. And that's not the case. It might just be your nearest supermarket or preferred choice.
Waitrose actually charge the least for delivery out of the major supermarkets and the portion sizes are considerably bigger.
And since the ASDA takeover it's got considerably dearer.

That's a shame catkins. We don't have an Aldi or Lidl. And M&S is an hour away.

I never forget back in the 2000s when ASDA was nicknamed 'Ch@vsda', which I thought was well OTT at the time and kind of became a self-fulfilling prophecy, plus I think said chain still hasn't fully shaken off those negative associations to this very day, despite 'ch@v' culture now being long past its original heyday.

NoraB
03-11-22, 05:55
TBH, I've never really understood a lot of this supermarket snobbery that has been around for donkeys years now, especially as ASDA and Tesco in particular have both often been labelled 'underclass' supermarkets, which I have always thought was totally unfair.

To me a supermarket is a supermarket, irrespective of its 'class' associations.

I've always 'cut my cloth accordingly' when it comes to money and supermarkets. If we're flush, it's M & S because the food is pricey but really nice. if things have gone a bit Simply Red (money's too tight to mention) then it's Aldi for food and Home Bargains for the household stuff. Mid-way was always Tesco until my last shop there (over a month ago) which was £130 (for the same products) where I'd previously averaged £80 - £90 for a weekly shop so I'm using Aldi and HB for the foreseeable and I'm back to averaging £80 - £90 again. (The money I'm saving helps to cover the increase in energy bill).

Obviously, all this goes tits up when I send my husband out to do the shopping. :lac:

Lencoboy
03-11-22, 07:57
I've always 'cut my cloth accordingly' when it comes to money and supermarkets. If we're flush, it's M & S because the food is pricey but really nice. if things have gone a bit Simply Red (money's too tight to mention) then it's Aldi for food and Home Bargains for the household stuff. Mid-way was always Tesco until my last shop there (over a month ago) which was £130 (for the same products) where I'd previously averaged £80 - £90 for a weekly shop so I'm using Aldi and HB for the foreseeable and I'm back to averaging £80 - £90 again. (The money I'm saving helps to cover the increase in energy bill).

Obviously, all this goes tits up when I send my husband out to do the shopping. :lac:

Nothing wrong with Aldi. We've been shopping there ever since they opened their first store in our area in 1997.

And through more favourable economic periods too.

We also had a Kwik Save (remember them?) back then that opened a couple of years prior to our first Aldi store, which later became a Netto store after Kwik Save went bust in 2007, and then a smaller Morrisons store from around 2011 onwards, in which it still is today.

NoraB
03-11-22, 08:03
Nothing wrong with Aldi. .

Aldi's good if you're disciplined enough to stick to food only. Otherwise, you could go in for some meatballs and come back with a two-person tent, a garden heater, and a pressure washer. :roflmao:

Lolalee1
03-11-22, 09:41
How true,Nora, I went to Aldi with my nephew yesterday only wanted some mango’s and fruit-ended up buying a tv and hose for a campervan
I already had both.Walked out without the mango’s :wacko:

Carnation
03-11-22, 09:42
I remember Nettos fishman. And Kwik Save. I remember my dad being excited about the price of booze there. :D
I've always seen M&S as treat time. All plush and Christmassy.

Carnation
03-11-22, 09:43
Lol Lola :D

Carnation
03-11-22, 09:50
My corner shop is now cheaper than the supermarket. :shrug:
Makes you wonder.

Lencoboy
03-11-22, 15:48
My corner shop is now cheaper than the supermarket. :shrug:
Makes you wonder.

What goes around comes around!:yesyes:

Lencoboy
03-11-22, 16:03
That's something that I've been concerned about for ages now. People constantly saying this country is going to the dogs and bemoaning our current (Tory) govt as the worst they've ever known, but still seem to pooh-pooh the oppositions often for the most trivial and feeble of reasons; e.g, Starmer, Davey, et el, are too fat, ugly, lacking in charm, charisma, etc. Plus those very same people often being far more concerned about swanning off on holiday to Benidorm for the umpteenth time instead of more immediate issues impacting on them at home, which is definitely brushing the problems under the carpet in the shorter term rather than attempting to help deal with them in the longer term. And then the cycle just keeps repeating itself over and over.

Perhaps it could also be down to politicians (of all parties) and today's younger generation finding it increasingly difficult to relate to each other, as it's often been speculated over recent years that younger people are less politically engaged now than in the past and generally less inclined to vote than previous generations of their age group, coupled with the fact that many people of 40+ increasingly seem to revel in nostalgia and want to stay stuck in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

While my dad admitted yesterday that he generally agrees wholeheartedly with all I have expressed above, he then went on to lecture me that people in this country still reserve the right to avoid voting for anyone at all in elections, believe in fake news, conspiracy theories, etc, have holidays abroad wherever and whenever they please, and indulge in Britain-bashing to their hearts content upon return, as it's still a free country at the end of the day, even if such things may be of detriment in the long run to some of the very people indulging in them.

My dad then added that the whole world cannot revolve around me and my opinions all the time and everyone's entitled to make mistakes from time to time, which I do acknowledge.

Carnation
03-11-22, 17:30
Your dad sounds wise lencoboy

Carnation
03-11-22, 18:38
Iceland selling 1p meals. Have a feeling its limited and certain situations apply.

Lencoboy
03-11-22, 19:41
I was also talking to my keyworker at my day centre this afternoon about many of the things I was talking to my dad about yesterday (my keyworker also shares similar opinions to me), and he (my keyworker) went on to say about today's interest rate rise to 3% and how the media have been talking about it as if Armageddon is imminent, but he then added that he recalls interest rates being as high as around 15% at one point during the early 90s recession and while it was still tough for many back then it didn't cause the end of the world.

He also reckons that while he's not dismissing nor trivialising what's going on right now in any way with the COL crisis, the media seem to be maxing out on it (which they also did last time back in 2008), presumably in part because there's hasn't really been anything mega significant or drastic for them to report on Covid more recently, which of course as we all know full well dominated the media non-stop between the first months of 2020 and the first months of 2022, so the media are largely believed by my keyworker to feel compelled to apply similar apocalyptic tones to the COL crisis in order to keep the same panic momentum going.

P.S, The above is my keyworker's opinion, not necessarily mine.

Scass
03-11-22, 20:36
I suppose it’s because the hits just keep on coming with regards to price rises. There’s a lot to report on lately, I suspect that the media are capitalising on the clicks.

Lencoboy
03-11-22, 21:06
I suppose it’s because the hits just keep on coming with regards to price rises. There’s a lot to report on lately, I suspect that the media are capitalising on the clicks.

Definitely.

As my day centre keyworker said to me earlier today, it's as if it's some kind of post-pandemic anti-climax as far as the media are concerned, and they no doubt feel compelled to up the ante even further with scary headlines over this COL crisis, even though it did previously seem that things couldn't really get any worse than Covid in terms of scaring us all witless.

On the other hand, I recall people getting their knickers in a twist and panicking when the value of £ Sterling was ridiculously high for a time in the late 90s and even predicted Armageddon for the UK economy over it back then, which fortunately never materialised (at least not for another 10 years or so).

NoraB
04-11-22, 09:46
How true,Nora, I went to Aldi with my nephew yesterday only wanted some mango’s and fruit-ended up buying a tv and hose for a campervan
I already had both.Walked out without the mango’s :wacko:

NoraB
04-11-22, 09:48
Iceland selling 1p meals. Have a feeling its limited and certain situations apply.

1p?

That explains the sudden increase in Iceland vans around here!!

BlueIris
04-11-22, 09:57
You have to spend £25 on deliveries there, then they'll give you 3 £1 ready meals for 1p each.

Carnation
04-11-22, 10:07
Thanks BlueIris. I just knew there was a catch.

Carnation
04-11-22, 10:10
Are you feeling any better today nora?

pulisa
04-11-22, 13:51
Thanks BlueIris. I just knew there was a catch.

You don't get owt for nowt..

fishman65
04-11-22, 16:11
You don't get owt for nowt..Was tha born int' Yorkshire lass? Tha speaks wit' accent lark.

NoraB
05-11-22, 06:49
Are you feeling any better today nora?

I've gone from semi-dying back to my baseline of shite, Carn. :yesyes:

Thanks for asking. :hugs:

Carnation
05-11-22, 09:45
Shite you can cope with nora, semi dying is far too dramatic to even contemplate. :yesyes:

Darksky
05-11-22, 14:01
Another slap arrived in the post box today…our dental plan has gone up by £5 a month.That’s £10 for the two of us. It’s now £22.00 each per month.:lac:

You get a percentage off treatment and free check ups and hygienist visits. That’s about it. People will cut down I’m sure. If their teeth aren’t hurting it will be one of the first things to be shelved.

Carnation
05-11-22, 14:19
Loads of cancellations and putting up with tooth pain is very much the new way now.
I got charged £150 just for 2 consultations and an X-ray. :ohmy:

fishman65
05-11-22, 17:53
In our kitchen we have one of those fittings that holds 4 bulbs. It never occurred to me to take 2 out.

pulisa
05-11-22, 17:56
Did you have 2 light bulb moments?

Darksky
05-11-22, 18:15
In our kitchen we have one of those fittings that holds 4 bulbs. It never occurred to me to take 2 out.

We have one of those in the bathroom. A couple of bulbs have gone and we haven’t replaced them.

fishman65
05-11-22, 19:00
Did you have 2 light bulb moments?'Groan'. Very sharp Pulisa.

Lolalee1
13-11-22, 08:41
Homemade banana bread,yummy and carob coated bananas are my favs and cheap.
I took a picture of a nice piece of Porterhouse steak and put it on a plate for my bitchy sisters dinner:Dshe wasn’t impressed,poor precious.

Lencoboy
13-11-22, 10:13
It's getting bad in the supermarkets. Without a loyalty card, some meal deals are fetching up to nearly £4.

Best to buy a loaf of bread and other ingredients. Making your own food may be more cost efficient now.

I guess you won't be able to make a sandwich that tastes as good as theirs, but I think it's going to save you money in the long run. Also, bananas are healthier than chocolate and they don't cost much.

My other concern right now is that this current crisis might be used as a vehicle for certain factions of our society to treat vulnerable people like us with LDs like sh1te and use us as 'scapegoats', which has often been known to happen during tougher times previously.

I remember reading that during the last GFC at the end of the 2000s reported disability hate crimes rose significantly, and also did during the few months following the Brexit vote (which I found a bit bizarre as people with disabilities in general aren't literally 'foreigners'). I'm sure I also recall people like Nigel Farage, Nick Griffin, et el, heavily sticking the knife in back then in the late 2000s and early 2010s with provocative narratives, including contemplating bringing back old-style mental institutions if they won the 2010 and 2015 General Elections, let alone the death penalty, school corporal punishment, etc, but (thankfully) both of those odious characters (plus not forgetting that equally odious character Tommy Robinson) seem to have faded into relative obscurity over more recent times.

Sorry but I just can't help ruminating on such issues.

ankietyjoe
13-11-22, 10:38
I remember reading that during the last GFC at the end of the 2000s reported disability hate crimes rose significantly, and also did during the few months following the Brexit vote (which I found a bit bizarre as people with disabilities in general aren't literally 'foreigners').

So hate crimes are ok as long as they're brown?

pulisa
13-11-22, 14:01
Lenco is very sensitive about and fearful of disability hate crime, Joe. I really don't think this should be read as a racist comment.

ankietyjoe
13-11-22, 15:20
Lenco is very sensitive about and fearful of disability hate crime, Joe. I really don't think this should be read as a racist comment.

Lenco also constantly scatters his pseudo right wing viewpoints around irrelevant threads.

Or at least hints at them, quite a lot.

Lencoboy
13-11-22, 16:11
Lenco also constantly scatters his pseudo right wing viewpoints around irrelevant threads.

Or at least hints at them, quite a lot.

Sorry AJ, but that's where you're definitely wrong about me!

For the record, I'm NOT right-wing at all and despise the current (Tory) govt and many of their policies. So please do not label me right-wing nor imply that I'm a racist, which I'm definitely NOT.

All hate crimes are appalling, regardless of whether the recipients are British, Foreign, White, Black, Brown, Disabled, you name it. So again, please don't jump to conclusions about me.

Lencoboy
13-11-22, 16:33

There was definitely no racism intended Pulisa, as racism is one of many things I would never (wittingly) ever wish to be seen dead indulging in. Plus thanks for sticking up for me in this particular instance.

Also, how can AJ imply that I'm a 'right-winger' when I voiced my indignation against true 'far-right' merchants like Farage, Griffin, Robinson, et el, in my last-but-one post?

Plus I was implying that people with disabilities already existed in this country long before 23rd June 2016, so I was really miffed that certain sad cases suddenly seemed to be using us as 'scapegoats' once again after that particular date, unless a lot of it was actually exaggerated by the media at the time.

pulisa
15-11-22, 08:27
Are your family supportive, Peter?

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-22, 01:28
So hate crimes are ok as long as they're brown?

Think he meant it was strange considering Brexit hate crimes would be expected against people who aren't traditional white Brits. Besides he was talking about a vote that impacted white Europeans which logically would stoke up hatred towards them, the referendum wasn't addressing other areas of immigration.

The same happened with LGBT hate crimes. It's more a reflection of changing reporting methods and a surge of minority idiots coming out thinking they can do what they want. Nothing to do with Brexit, just the idiots who are always there feeling empowered to be more open and a matter for the police to put them back in their box.

You've got Lenco very wrong, he's on the left.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-22, 01:33
There was definitely no racism intended Pulisa, as racism is one of many things I would never (wittingly) ever wish to be seen dead indulging in. Plus thanks for sticking up for me in this particular instance.

Also, how can AJ imply that I'm a 'right-winger' when I voiced my indignation against true 'far-right' merchants like Farage, Griffin, Robinson, et el, in my last-but-one post?

Plus I was implying that people with disabilities already existed in this country long before 23rd June 2016, so I was really miffed that certain sad cases suddenly seemed to be using us as 'scapegoats' once again after that particular date, unless a lot of it was actually exaggerated by the media at the time.

Don't worry, Lenco. Anyone who has ever read many of your posts would see you are left leaning and wanting to see Labour or Lib Dems getting a shot.

There was no racism in what you wrote. The response was part of a certain playbook.

Nothing wrong with being left or right. It's the far ends where the craziness comes out.

There really is no link between now and disabilities. It's benefits where some more unpleasant types will complain about paying for disadvantaged people. Thankfully we live in a country that tries to help people who need it rather than operate an every man for himself attitude.

Lencoboy
16-11-22, 09:15
Think he meant it was strange considering Brexit hate crimes would be expected against people who aren't traditional white Brits. Besides he was talking about a vote that impacted white Europeans which logically would stoke up hatred towards them, the referendum wasn't addressing other areas of immigration.

The same happened with LGBT hate crimes. It's more a reflection of changing reporting methods and a surge of minority idiots coming out thinking they can do what they want. Nothing to do with Brexit, just the idiots who are always there feeling empowered to be more open and a matter for the police to put them back in their box.

You've got Lenco very wrong, he's on the left.

I see my own politics as more centre-left actually.

Lencoboy
16-11-22, 09:49
Don't worry, Lenco. Anyone who has ever read many of your posts would see you are left leaning and wanting to see Labour or Lib Dems getting a shot.

There was no racism in what you wrote. The response was part of a certain playbook.

Nothing wrong with being left or right. It's the far ends where the craziness comes out.

There really is no link between now and disabilities. It's benefits where some more unpleasant types will complain about paying for disadvantaged people. Thankfully we live in a country that tries to help people who need it rather than operate an every man for himself attitude.

Back in 2008-10 (during the height of the last GFC) there were obviously quite a few individuals with very right-wing views who perceived people with disabilities as a 'drain on the system' and inadvertently 'the bane of their lives', whereas it wasn't our fault that the economy went pear-shaped towards the end of the 2000s; it was caused by global events that were largely beyond the (at least immediate) control of the authorities here in the UK. I could even sense vibes of increased hostility back then from certain staff at my then-current day centre, as if some of us were perceived as 'time-wasters' at that time, coupled with the usual (but understandable) indignation over certain staff members being 'overworked and underpaid', sadly while seemingly using some of us clients as 'scapegoats'.

Also I never understood why certain sad cases suddenly believed that they had carte blanche to go around bullying and insulting innocent individuals with disabilities (even those who were/are White British themselves) willy-nilly just because we had decided to give our membership of the EU the heave-ho.

Brexit or not, there are surely still homegrown laws and legislation in place in this country that render hate crimes of all persuasions unlawful, irrespective of all the ECHR stuff, that surely won't be going anywhere soon. It's the adequate and appropriate policing of such incidents (or the lack of it) that's also heavily at fault, plus I still think more should be done to educate youngsters about differences, and tolerance and understanding/awareness of them while still in full-time education, and not to get too embroiled in what 'Mr/Ms. Know-It-All' on social media says.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-22, 15:50
I see my own politics as more centre-left actually.

Makes sense to me, Lenco. You're a level headed guy and don't display the hate of those farther left or right who are like zealots.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-22, 16:01
Back in 2008-10 (during the height of the last GFC) there were obviously quite a few individuals with very right-wing views who perceived people with disabilities as a 'drain on the system' and inadvertently 'the bane of their lives', whereas it wasn't our fault that the economy went pear-shaped towards the end of the 2000s; it was caused by global events that were largely beyond the (at least immediate) control of the authorities here in the UK. I could even sense vibes of increased hostility back then from certain staff at my then-current day centre, as if some of us were perceived as 'time-wasters' at that time, coupled with the usual (but understandable) indignation over certain staff members being 'overworked and underpaid', sadly while seemingly using some of us clients as 'scapegoats'.

Also I never understood why certain sad cases suddenly believed that they had carte blanche to go around bullying and insulting innocent individuals with disabilities (even those who were/are White British themselves) willy-nilly just because we had decided to give our membership of the EU the heave-ho.

Brexit or not, there are surely still homegrown laws and legislation in place in this country that render hate crimes of all persuasions unlawful, irrespective of all the ECHR stuff, that surely won't be going anywhere soon. It's the adequate and appropriate policing of such incidents (or the lack of it) that's also heavily at fault, plus I still think more should be done to educate youngsters about differences, and tolerance and understanding/awareness of them while still in full-time education, and not to get too embroiled in what 'Mr/Ms. Know-It-All' on social media says.

People like that shouldn't be in roles dealing with vulnerable people. It's understandable hard times can be a reason for behaviour but you still feel guilt & shame for it

As far as hate laws go nothing changes. The police are under the political spotlight making it tempting for senior coppers to go with what's trending.

Those that started being more vocal due to Brexit thought voting out of a political construct = approving of their hatred for xyz. They were wrong. The same with the Scottish referendum and God help us the border poll under the GFA when it eventually comes.

The nationalists get whipped up. The racists come out. It's up the the judicial system to show no weakness and enforce the laws in a strict manner. To do anything else will be perceived as tacit approval of their beliefs & behaviour.

It's just idiotic people. When the French lorry drivers protest some will be violent towards innocent foreign drivers. That doesn't mean public support for their underlying problems equates to attacking anyone for any reason.

Lencoboy
16-11-22, 18:23
People like that shouldn't be in roles dealing with vulnerable people. It's understandable hard times can be a reason for behaviour but you still feel guilt & shame for it

As far as hate laws go nothing changes. The police are under the political spotlight making it tempting for senior coppers to go with what's trending.

Those that started being more vocal due to Brexit thought voting out of a political construct = approving of their hatred for xyz. They were wrong. The same with the Scottish referendum and God help us the border poll under the GFA when it eventually comes.

The nationalists get whipped up. The racists come out. It's up the the judicial system to show no weakness and enforce the laws in a strict manner. To do anything else will be perceived as tacit approval of their beliefs & behaviour.

It's just idiotic people. When the French lorry drivers protest some will be violent towards innocent foreign drivers. That doesn't mean public support for their underlying problems equates to attacking anyone for any reason.

And sometimes a perfect excuse and justification for certain behaviours/attitudes, even if those persons responsible aren't absolutely hard up themselves.

My dad said that certain individuals already have a kind of predisposition to certain inhumane habits/attitudes anyway (especially when it comes to longstanding issues such as domestic violence and child abuse), but sadly during periods of intense hardship they often have a tendency to exploit the situation by using it as justification for the ways that they act, even if they're far from being poverty-ridden or even far from suffering from intense stress.

Usually just power-mad bully-boys/girls.

ankietyjoe
18-11-22, 19:58
Lenco, I haven't been in this thread recently and if I accused you of right wing anti immigrant idealisations and that's not the case, I apologise (something which I'm apparently not capable of).

I see you posting a lot of comments about immigrants, immigration and your 'specific politic views that you can't talk about', so it seemed obvious to me that's what you were hinting at.

It's another thing I'm particularly sensitive to as my partner is 'quite' brown, as are my two 'kinda' brown kids.

NoraB
19-11-22, 07:54
It's another thing I'm particularly sensitive to as my partner is 'quite' brown, as are my two 'kinda' brown kids.

My DIL is half-Indian and my other son's partner is half-Jamaican. I have three mixed-race grandchildren, so I understand your sensitivity. However, I don't see Lenco as racist.

For a start, why should he be so passionately against the likes of that scumbag, Tommy Robinson, if he's racist? (He's very clear in his dislike of Tommy and his ilk)

My opinion is that Lenco abhors disability hate crime, regardless of race, gender or anything else. It's a massive trigger for him. When he's posting on here about disability hate crime etc, he's re-living all those bad things that happened to him. (And I understand what that feels like).

pulisa
19-11-22, 08:18
Sorry AJ, but that's where you're definitely wrong about me!

For the record, I'm NOT right-wing at all and despise the current (Tory) govt and many of their policies. So please do not label me right-wing nor imply that I'm a racist, which I'm definitely NOT.

All hate crimes are appalling, regardless of whether the recipients are British, Foreign, White, Black, Brown, Disabled, you name it. So again, please don't jump to conclusions about me.

I think that Lenco has explained how he feels about hate crimes in general very openly here, Joe.

ankietyjoe
19-11-22, 09:46
I know.....that's why I'm apologising for jumping on a misconstrued comment. Because sometimes comments can be misconstrued, right?

Carnation
19-11-22, 10:03
Apologies for butting in on the personal debate which seems to have resolved itself and everyone's mates again :D and I'm taking a risk of having a wet fish across my face, but this thread is about the cost of living and I know people will be very concerned about it and it would be helpful to keep the subject in text.
Asda just put their sugar from 75p to a £1.00 :scared15:
Not forgetting to mention the energy companies already hiking the bills up massively and the heating isn't even in full flow yet. I'm sure they are making it up because the figures just don't make sense. :shrug:
P.S. Don't like to see you guys upsetting each other. :hugs:

Lencoboy
19-11-22, 10:03
My DIL is half-Indian and my other son's partner is half-Jamaican. I have three mixed-race grandchildren, so I understand your sensitivity. However, I don't see Lenco as racist.

For a start, why should he be so passionately against the likes of that scumbag, Tommy Robinson, if he's racist? (He's very clear in his dislike of Tommy and his ilk)

My opinion is that Lenco abhors disability hate crime, regardless of race, gender or anything else. It's a massive trigger for him. When he's posting on here about disability hate crime etc, he's re-living all those bad things that happened to him. (And I understand what that feels like).

I have never so far (touch wood and thank God) been a victim of actual disability hate crime, or at least not knowingly anyway.

But I'm sure I've witnessed others being on the receiving end of such crimes in some form or another over the years.

As far as that gobsh1te Tommy Robinson is concerned, not only do we hardly hear of him these days but the EDL (sans TR as leader since October 2013) also seem to have petered out over the past 5 years or so as we haven't heard of any marches/demos of theirs since about 2017, thank God (again).

The EDL's rival group 'Britain First' (BF) seem to have become much lower-key over the past few years too.

Going back to AJ, I accept his apology and understand that he may have misunderstood my DHC comments in the context of Brexit and misinterpreted them as 'racist' and 'right-wing', which is far from the case.

I also acknowledged that he himself might have also been going through a bit of a bad patch recently which can sometimes make us see red in rather irrational ways and then saying or doing certain things willy-nilly without as much as a second thought which I have been known to do myself many times over the years.

pulisa
19-11-22, 13:50
It's interesting that people are still willing to shell out for gig tickets and Christmas stuff though...Latest technology phones and gadgets will be flying off the (online) shelves and Black Friday (sorry, Lenco) "sales" are already on of course.

Fuel prices going up massively in March?.. Petrol/diesel vouchers as Xmas gifts maybe?

Carnation
19-11-22, 14:02
They won't go without their necessaries pulisa.
My dad would be tutting at what people see as priorities these days.

MyNameIsTerry
19-11-22, 14:18
I'm saving on turning the heating on by paying a ton to go to the World Cup :winks:

Which reminds just how much a season ticket can be these days. My brother stopped buying them years ago. Just imagine how much the internationals cost people.

pulisa
19-11-22, 14:28
You don't see any deserted stands in the Prem, do you? Somehow punters manage to find hundreds for their annual season ticket. A match day experience is horrendously expensive but it's a priority for many.

If I were able to go to football now I would choose my local team Woking.

Lencoboy
19-11-22, 21:08
It's interesting that people are still willing to shell out for gig tickets and Christmas stuff though...Latest technology phones and gadgets will be flying off the (online) shelves and Black Friday (sorry, Lenco) "sales" are already on of course.

Fuel prices going up massively in March?.. Petrol/diesel vouchers as Xmas gifts maybe?

TBH, I'm now beyond caring about all things Black Friday, so no need to apologise to me when referencing it anymore (same also goes for everyone else on here), but what I am seriously dreading is the thought of having to suffer the usual GBH of the lug holes with all the same old same old Christmas hits from the 70s and 80s for the umpteenth time yet again, with that Slade one being one of my most hated songs of all time. Just go and do one Noddy and Co! We want some good new Christmas songs for a change.
But no, people don't like change and simply want sameness these days.

Why has March 2023 been named as a specific date when fuel prices are to go up massively? Seriously anything can happen between now and then, and for better or worse.

Re your first paragraph about people still splashing out on the usual stuff seemingly without a care in the world, I have noticed most times when we drive past our out-of-town retail park its car parks are usually chocka with cars, and we still often struggle to even get near the place, especially on Saturdays. I've even heard of many people still discussing their upcoming holidays abroad over Christmas this year, as if both this COL crisis and Covid haven't even happened! But they still continue to moan incessantly about all things 'Broken Britain' nevertheless!

My mind boggles, it really does.

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-22, 06:59
Yeah there are plenty of people still shelling out on luxuries.

Although maybe it's worse than I thought. Today whilst out food shopping I spotted my local MP waiting at the till in a discount store. Since the Christmas lights were being switched on that can probably be put through as expenses :winks:

(He wasn't wearing a mask)

NoraB
20-11-22, 07:04
but what I am seriously dreading is the thought of having to suffer the usual GBH of the lug holes with all the same old same old Christmas hits from the 70s and 80s for the umpteenth time yet again, with that Slade one being one of my most hated songs of all time. Just go and do one Noddy and Co! We want some good new Christmas songs for a change.
But no, people don't like change and simply want sameness these days.

Cringey music is as much a part of Christmas as Quality Street, paper hats, and having an argument about watching James Bond or Home Alone. (It's tradition)

There is always the option to turn over or off, Lenco. And ear buds come in very handy for blocking out those unwanted Christmas tunes. (Mariah Carey for me). :scared15:

You can intervene before Noddy starts screeching, 'IT'S CHRIIIIIIIISSSSSTMAAAAAAAAAAAS', in the same way that ol' Mariah never gets any further than the 'I' in the 'I don't want a lot this Christmas'. :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-22, 07:53
Surely it's Die Hard if you want an authentic Christmas movie? :biggrin:

Catkins
20-11-22, 08:23
To be honest, I would quite happily cancel Christmas. I'm nearly done with my shopping and a few people are getting money because they want it to put towards other things. I seem to have had a Christmas spirit bypass. I guess there is some joy though, it's my sons birthday and he's coming home for a few days, that will be lovely!

pulisa
20-11-22, 08:29
That sounds like something to look forward to, Catkins! Is he coming on his own or bringing the gf?

I would be happy to cancel Christmas too..Will have to start writing cards soon due to the Royal Mail strike decimating December...

Lencoboy
20-11-22, 09:17
To be honest, I would quite happily cancel Christmas. I'm nearly done with my shopping and a few people are getting money because they want it to put towards other things. I seem to have had a Christmas spirit bypass. I guess there is some joy though, it's my sons birthday and he's coming home for a few days, that will be lovely!

Certain aspects of Christmas were already cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic and us mostly being in lockdown at the time, such as being unable to attend events outside of our own homes and even having guests round, which we got through at the time without the sky caving in. Christmas 2021 wasn't quite so heavily restricted which we managed to get through without any further full-on national lockdowns but the usual events involving 'gatherings' still weren't generally recommended at the time, plus many people at the time were still continuing to 'self-lockdown'.

But in spite of the hassles now surrounding the COL crisis and many of us obviously having to tighten our belts, Christmas 2022 is looking to have the most 'freedom' for us since 2019, in terms of mobility and 'gatherings', as Covid is now generally considered to be far less of an issue for most people, so looking like there's going to barely be any Covid-related restrictions this year, almost all of which have already petered out over the past year or so.

Lencoboy
20-11-22, 09:31
Cringey music is as much a part of Christmas as Quality Street, paper hats, and having an argument about watching James Bond or Home Alone. (It's tradition)

There is always the option to turn over or off, Lenco. And ear buds come in very handy for blocking out those unwanted Christmas tunes. (Mariah Carey for me). :scared15:

You can intervene before Noddy starts screeching, 'IT'S CHRIIIIIIIISSSSSTMAAAAAAAAAAAS', in the same way that ol' Mariah never gets any further than the 'I' in the 'I don't want a lot this Christmas'. :yesyes:

But if I happen to be in a shop waiting in the middle of a queue and the Slade song (or any other song I dislike intensely, Christmas or not) suddenly comes blasting out of said shop's audio system I can't just suddenly demand that the off button is pressed, nor can I just suddenly leg it out of the store without causing a bit of a commotion.

The Mariah Carey song I can stomach in small doses, especially as it's a later festive classic (from the 90s) that only really seems to have increased in its popularity over more recent years.

I have plenty of misophonic episodes all year round anyway, which some people sadly still think that I'm being unreasonable whenever I say I don't like those certain sounds, though that's generally all for another thread.

Lencoboy
20-11-22, 09:42
Yeah there are plenty of people still shelling out on luxuries.

Although maybe it's worse than I thought. Today whilst out food shopping I spotted my local MP waiting at the till in a discount store. Since the Christmas lights were being switched on that can probably be put through as expenses :winks:

(He wasn't wearing a mask)

I thought mandatory wearing of masks in indoor public places was now largely irrelevant, while of course people are still free to wear them at will if they wish to do so.

But at least your local MP was kind of seen setting an example by being seen shopping in a discount store and not seen splashing out on luxury items from high-end stores.

Carnation
20-11-22, 11:06
I'm normally dusting down my reindeer by now and planning where I'm going to deck the home. Not this year. Think it will a combination of reduced decorating and last minute. I want to put up a few battery operated lights in preparation for the planned blackouts to follow. Between that and the rising energy costs I'm not surprised everyone is feeling a bit humbug.
Decided not to have a turkey this year, an overpriced bird that we don't particularly like anyway. So chicken for me. That leaves more money for chocolate, the happy drug. :D

BlueIris
20-11-22, 11:34
Pete isn't much into a traditional roast dinner, so for the past couple of years we've had pies delivered. Still a treat, but much quicker and more economical.

NoraB
20-11-22, 12:27
But if I happen to be in a shop waiting in the middle of a queue and the Slade song (or any other song I dislike intensely, Christmas or not) suddenly comes blasting out of said shop's audio system I can't just suddenly demand that the off button is pressed, nor can I just suddenly leg it out of the store without causing a bit of a commotion.

Ear buds. :shrug:

The Mariah Carey song I can stomach in small doses, especially as it's a later festive classic (from the 90s) that only really seems to have increased in its popularity over more recent years.

Can't stand her. Can't stand the song. I'd rather listen to Crazy Frog on repeat (Until the day I die).

Best Christmas song ever (in my humble opinion) is Fairytale of New York. :shades:

Best performance is the TOTP one where Shane's clearly hammered and forgetting to mime. Kirsty MacColl was class. I really love her music. (She wrote a song about Terry, you know).

I have plenty of misophonic episodes all year round anyway, which some people sadly still think that I'm being unreasonable whenever I say I don't like those certain sounds, though that's generally all for another thread.

Here's a weird one for ya. I have sensory processing disorder (as many autistics do), and when it comes to sounds, some of the most low-pitched noises - which are non-audible for most people - drive me NUTS. This was a lot worse before I went deaf in one ear. But I play my rock music LOUD.

Do you find that your issues with sounds worsen the more anxious you are, Lenco?

Carnation
20-11-22, 12:49
BlueIris, I bet its not just a pie. It's probably filled with lots of yummy ingredients, I can just imagine. :) Makes the kitchen work a lot easier, good idea.
In the past I've always found there's so much waste with a turkey and it takes over almost half of the fridge space. I did get a turkey roll once and that was quite nice and just enough for the day.
I'm not going over the top with extra food. The tangerines sit there until mid January going off, nuts we can't eat any more because our teeth can't take them. Mince pies fill you up so you are still full by dinner time. Yule logs make me feel sick just looking at it. Those quality street tins are getting smaller and smaller. They'll be so small soon I'll be able to put the contents in my pockets. :D
But I am partial to piece of Christmas cake and it keeps!

NoraB
20-11-22, 12:50
Pete isn't much into a traditional roast dinner, so for the past couple of years we've had pies delivered. Still a treat, but much quicker and more economical.

I was watching The Royle Family the other day and Barb - after slaving away making the family a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings - was asking everybody if they'd enjoyed their turkey. One by one they criticised the turkey being 'too dry', or that they just didn't like it etc, so Barb says, 'Oh, well I don't think I'll bother getting one next year then!' In unison, they tell her. You can't have Christmas without turkey; it's tradition! :roflmao:

Carnation
20-11-22, 12:52
A tip for Christmas shoppers. Asda for the last couple of years have been selling there veg mega cheap during the week running up to Christmas. Hope they do the same this year. I have a feeling another Supermarket followed suit but can't remember which one.

pulisa
20-11-22, 13:57
Aren't turkeys going to be hard to get this year anyway because of avian flu?

My days of cooking turkey are well and truly over. I'll try and buy some cold slices of it cut off the bone at the Waitrose delicatessen but won't bother if it's too pricey. My son isn't fussed and my daughter would prefer salmon like me.
. Just couldn't bear getting them out again

BlueIris
20-11-22, 14:12
I like turkey, but if I want it I just buy a leg and slow roast it for pulled turkey. It falls off the bone that way, so no need to faff about with the tendons.

Carnation
20-11-22, 15:10
Good point pulisa. Probably push the price up on the available ones.
Good idea BlueIris, I might give that a go.

BlueIris
20-11-22, 15:19
If you want some tips, Carnation, just drop me a line.

Carnation
20-11-22, 17:07
Thanks BlueIris x

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-22, 17:48
I thought mandatory wearing of masks in indoor public places was now largely irrelevant, while of course people are still free to wear them at will if they wish to do so.

But at least your local MP was kind of seen setting an example by being seen shopping in a discount store and not seen splashing out on luxury items from high-end stores.

Yes, but it would be nice in our leaders lead by example.

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-22, 17:56
For years we've being having a turkey crown. It's much easier since it's just one bone to carve away from and you get more meat.

I always think turkey is dry and has less taste than chicken but we do have it for Christmas. We used to sometimes have chicken instead and have a beef joint for New Year's Day.

My brother is cooking a turkey for the first time this year.

My GF tends to have beef but in the past they've had goose, duck, etc.

Does anyone do fish? Isn't that a traditional course for Christmas?

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-22, 18:00
Cost of living to for insulation. We all get our loft insulated but mostly the door is left. This means warm air is still sucked through there creating a cold spot. You can insulate the door with the strips we use around doors and windows. But unless you fork out for an insulated door itself, which might be a waste of money, you need to insulate the back of the wooden hatch.

Cheap trick if you have spare will is pack it into a plastic bag and tape it over the back of the door. Mum had loads of left bits so I just stuffed them inside clear bags and taped them down. Remember to use the window strips to do the cracks around the door though.

Lolalee1
20-11-22, 23:25
For years we've being having a turkey crown. It's much easier since it's just one bone to carve away from and you get more meat.

Hi Terry.We have fish and seafood only because it’s so hot over the Christmas period.
My parents used to have all the trimmings and a traditional leg of ham.Now with no mum and dad in the Caymans
I will have a dingos dinner :)

Catkins
21-11-22, 06:41
On his own P. She's going to her mums, I expect at some point in the near future we'll be alternating Christmas or something, but I do feel lucky that we've had him come home every year for this long.

pulisa
21-11-22, 08:02
He's the lucky one to have you both to come home to..I bet he loves being back with you and being looked after!

NoraB
21-11-22, 09:45
When I was hard-up and couldn't afford a turkey, we used to get a Bernard Matthews turkey roll and have that for Christmas dinner. :shrug:

Pamplemousse
21-11-22, 13:32

It is in parts of Eastern Europe.

The other alternative to turkey is a cockerel, which we used to have for years.

Pamplemousse
21-11-22, 13:33
Cost of living to for insulation. We all get our loft insulated but mostly the door is left. This means warm air is still sucked through there creating a cold spot. You can insulate the door with the strips we use around doors and windows. But unless you fork out for an insulated door itself, which might be a waste of money, you need to insulate the back of the wooden hatch.

Cheap trick if you have spare will is pack it into a plastic bag and tape it over the back of the door. Mum had loads of left bits so I just stuffed them inside clear bags and taped them down. Remember to use the window strips to do the cracks around the door though.

When I had one of those free insulation top-ups they did insulate the back of the trap door.

Lencoboy
21-11-22, 16:00
When I was hard-up and couldn't afford a turkey, we used to get a Bernard Matthews turkey roll and have that for Christmas dinner. :shrug:

Well that particular cloud certainly had a silver lining for you Nora.

And in such case, Bernard Matthews turkey rolls will also be easier to cook and prepare, so a win-win situation all round.

NoraB
22-11-22, 05:38
Well that particular cloud certainly had a silver lining for you Nora.

And in such case, Bernard Matthews turkey rolls will also be easier to cook and prepare, so a win-win situation all round.

Indeed. OCD was a problem with meat in those days...

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 08:41
Certainly won't be going all out for Christmas dinner this year (forgoing the usual honey baked ham for one), but I still need a whole turkey so I can do the extra special Christmas gravy!!

Which everybody has agreed for years now is the best part of the meal! :yesyes:

Oh, and definitely need a jar of goose fat too....

Lolalee1
22-11-22, 08:48
Are you going to share the recipe for the Christmas gravy? I am now hungry for turkey:D

BlueIris
22-11-22, 08:56
Seconding this, need this special gravy recipe.

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 10:31
Oh it's nothing special really, but goes something like this -

First thing to do is make a chicken stock some time before Christmas, take a roasted chicken carcass (or two) and simmer it for a few of hours on the hob, or I do it in a pressure cooker for about 60-90 minutes. You can add bay leaves, peppercorns and an onion if you like, but don't add salt as it'll reduce over time anyway on the hob.

Christmas eve I'll roast the giblets from the turkey (the main reason to get a whole one) and make another stock out of that. Similar method, just less water. This will need straining before putting it in the fridge.

Once you've roasted the turkey, put it on a plate to rest and then sieve off all the juices, then skim the fat off. I usually cover the turkey in some butter and bacon so the juices are.....quite good. It's a good idea to use a glass of white wine to de-glaze the roasting pan at this point and add that to the juices as well.

This is when I'll combine the chicken stock, giblet stock and roasting juices together and simmer on the hob to start reducing down. If you want to save some time you can reduce the chicken stock after you make it and freeze it pre-reduced.

Once it's reduced to where I want it, I will CONTROVERSIALLY use a bit of chicken bisto to thicken. The alternative would be to add some flour to the roasting pan before you deglaze and stir it around in the fat that's left in the pan for a few minutes to cook off the flour, then add the stocks to the roasting pan to reduce. But I actually like the way that Bisto works.

Lastly I'll then season to taste and add a teaspoon or two of cranberry sauce to balance out the saltiness.

Yes, I do all this for just the gravy. It's sooooooo worth it.

BlueIris
22-11-22, 10:36
I can believe it, Joe, that sounds incredible.

In exchange, here's my 15-minute chicken liver pate recipe.

Chop and fry a shallot, some garlic and a rasher of smoked bacon in butter until the bacon is cooked and the alliums are soft.
Add chicken livers and a couple of tablespoons of brandy, then cook until the livers are just starting to brown.
Use a blender to blitz the contents of the pan with another couple of tablespoons of pate and fresh white breadcrumbs.
Put in the fridge until set.
Feel very, very smug.

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 10:44
I can believe it, Joe, that sounds incredible.

In exchange, here's my 15-minute chicken liver pate recipe.

Chop and fry a shallot, some garlic and a rasher of smoked bacon in butter until the bacon is cooked and the alliums are soft.
Add chicken livers and a couple of tablespoons of brandy, then cook until the livers are just starting to brown.
Use a blender to blitz the contents of the pan with another couple of tablespoons of pate and fresh white breadcrumbs.
Put in the fridge until set.
Feel very, very smug.

That's exactly how I do it, except I don't use breadcrumbs but add butter and double cream!

Chicken liver pate is so good.

BlueIris
22-11-22, 10:48
I absolutely adore it; your cooking sounds great.

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 10:53
I absolutely adore it; your cooking sounds great.

I have a cheat code.

I used to be a chef.

However, I am worse than terrible at baking.

BlueIris
22-11-22, 10:55
I make very good bread and utterly mediocre cakes.

Bread aside, though, I'd much rather cook than bake.

Carnation
22-11-22, 11:06
If I'm not feeling too lazy I follow my mum's recipe for gravy....
Remove the roasted meat. Put the baking tray on the hob. Fill to about half way in the pan with water. Bring to the boil and add an oxo cube. Thicken with cornflour. All the juices from the meat remain in the tray and is so easy to do. Ready in 5 minutes. :)

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 11:10
I make very good bread and utterly mediocre cakes.

Bread aside, though, I'd much rather cook than bake.

My head won't accept baking. I require more 'flourish' in what I do lol.

If I'm not feeling too lazy I follow my mum's recipe for gravy....
Remove the roasted meat. Put the baking tray on the hob. Fill to about half way in the pan with water. Bring to the boil and add an oxo cube. Thicken with cornflour. All the juices from the meat remain in the tray and is so easy to do. Ready in 5 minutes. :)

Oxo cubes are a fantastic invention!

BlueIris
22-11-22, 11:25
Oxo cubes are a fantastic invention!

They really are, and brilliant for taming sauces when the flavour profile's gone off-piste.

Carnation
22-11-22, 13:22
Anything with double cream and I'm on it like a cat from a past life. :D

Pate sounds lovely BlueIris.

ankietyjoe
22-11-22, 13:23
Anything with double cream and I'm on it like a cat from a past life. :D

Pate sounds lovely BlueIris.

Good news, saturated fat is now back where it should be at health food status.

pulisa
22-11-22, 13:47
You all put me to shame re my cooking/baking skillz:D

Catkins
22-11-22, 17:03
I feel like I have to come here and make a confession. My husband put the heating on today, only to 15 degrees, but coming in from work it felt wonderful! He messaged me at work to tell me that because he felt guilty the dog was going to be cold, he'd switched it on. I'm not sure if me wearing a hat, whilst sitting under a blanket while watching the telly last night may also have had an effect.

pulisa
22-11-22, 17:48
You'll be basking in that heat tonight...Be careful though and try not to look too comfortable otherwise he'll turn it off again until there's a z in the month.

Carnation
22-11-22, 18:23
15c is still quite low catkins. No wonder you had a blanket while wearing a hat.
I've gave in and put the heating on full blast. Last night I was wearing two jumpers and still cold. The loo seat was like ice and I was eating more chocolate thinking that would keep me warm. The cold was ramping up my anxiety so today I've gone for full throttle on the heat and what a difference. Even my washing on the airer is drying. Unlike last week when it took almost a week to dry. Actually it didn't dry I had to use the immersion cupboard. Thank goodness for old things.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-22, 19:41
I feel like I have to come here and make a confession. My husband put the heating on today, only to 15 degrees, but coming in from work it felt wonderful! He messaged me at work to tell me that because he felt guilty the dog was going to be cold, he'd switched it on. I'm not sure if me wearing a hat, whilst sitting under a blanket while watching the telly last night may also have had an effect.

So he wouldn't put it in for you but he would for the dog? :sofa:

pulisa
22-11-22, 19:45

You canine get away with that comment, Terry...

Carnation
22-11-22, 21:10
Lol pulisa :roflmao:

Catkins
23-11-22, 06:50

Yes! He has also been known to leave the radio on for her so she doesn't get lonely when we're out. :D

Do I mind? Not a jot, we now have the heating on a little and I didn't have to wear a hat while watching Narcos on Netflix.

Catkins
23-11-22, 06:50

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-22, 07:24

It was a bit of a tail...

pulisa
23-11-22, 08:31
Beware of the finger wagging from all the ladies on this thread, Terry..You could be in the doghouse today...

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 07:14
Beware of the finger wagging from all the ladies on this thread, Terry..You could be in the doghouse today...

Yeah but I might get my belly tickled when I come back out :biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 07:20
15c is still quite low catkins. No wonder you had a blanket while wearing a hat.
I've gave in and put the heating on full blast. Last night I was wearing two jumpers and still cold. The loo seat was like ice and I was eating more chocolate thinking that would keep me warm. The cold was ramping up my anxiety so today I've gone for full throttle on the heat and what a difference. Even my washing on the airer is drying. Unlike last week when it took almost a week to dry. Actually it didn't dry I had to use the immersion cupboard. Thank goodness for old things.

Dad put the radiators on for an hour today. Doesnt bother me as it's not cold enough yet but they need to keep warm. We only have them on low anyway but it has made a difference tonight. I did renew the loft hatch insulation (stupid heating engineer had ripped it off getting his fat ar5e through the hatch...You can tell he didn't impress me with his work :winks:) which should help.

I know what you mean about drying clothes. I nearly put the dryer on tonight as I need a change of mum's medical socks for tomorrow night after handwashing them in a bucket. Using the washers spin cycle twice did enough so I could hang them up in a warmer room.

I think I might get some cheap wood and knock up a small clothes horse like we had years ago. They are pretty expensive today for what they are. Having to dry mum's leg straps & socks just enough so I can drape them over a still in front of the fire. But it's taking days in the bathroom even wringing them out a few times a day. Will be using the airing cupboard as you do.

NoraB
24-11-22, 07:45
I think I might get some cheap wood and knock up a small clothes horse like we had years ago. They are pretty expensive today for what they are. Having to dry mum's leg straps & socks just enough so I can drape them over a still in front of the fire. But it's taking days in the bathroom even wringing them out a few times a day. Will be using the airing cupboard as you do.

We don't have an airing cupboard. :weep:

I remember those old wooden clothes horses. My mum had one. (Good for throwing a bed sheet over and hiding in).

pulisa
24-11-22, 08:20
I love my airing cupboard!! It's a real godsend as I don't have a tumble dryer. It's all so time consuming and I'm hemmed in by 2 extensions in the houses either side so get very little line drying time if there's any sun and wind at all..

Lolalee1
24-11-22, 08:49

I remember those old wooden clothes horses. My mum had one. (Good for throwing a bed sheet over and hiding in).

I found mums wooden clothes hanger while packing up the house and I remember as a kid playing cubby house with my sisters under a sheet
Such sweet memories :weep:

NoraB
24-11-22, 09:39
I love my airing cupboard!! It's a real godsend as I don't have a tumble dryer. It's all so time consuming and I'm hemmed in by 2 extensions in the houses either side so get very little line drying time if there's any sun and wind at all..

This is the first house I've lived in where there hasn't been one.

True story. I used to hide in airing cupboards. Then again, I hid in pantries (double-checked this for embarrassing typo) and wardrobes too. (Those one door wardrobes are actually quite spacey when you're a small human being). :unsure:

When we moved into a house with built-in wardrobes, I considered it my personal Narnia and regularly disappeared into my 'drobe. Never found Mr Tumnus (or a lamppost), but there was a poster of Nick Rhodes in there and I had my torch. :yesyes:

Question: how old is too old to be hiding in wardrobes? (Asking for a friend).

ankietyjoe
24-11-22, 10:29
Question: how old is too old to be hiding in wardrobes? (Asking for a friend).

One hundred and eleven.

Darksky
24-11-22, 13:42
I don’t have an airing cupboard either. These bath towels are becoming a problem… we have so many, can be up to five adults. They hang around for days on my pulley ceiling thing…..what are those damn things called?

In any case, I need them dried quicker and I really don’t want to put the drier on.

pulisa
24-11-22, 13:50
:D A wardrobe would make a lovely bolthole!

pulisa
24-11-22, 13:55
I don’t have an airing cupboard either. These bath towels are becoming a problem… we have so many, can be up to five adults. They hang around for days on my pulley ceiling thing…..what are those damn things called?

In any case, I need them dried quicker and I really don’t want to put the drier on.

If I had a dryer I would use it for the towels..You don't want to make the atmosphere in the house damp?

Carnation
24-11-22, 13:55
Kitchen Maid darksky? Originally a Sheila Maid.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 14:14
Yeah towels are a pain. I think I will put in back into a spin cycle to see if it helps. They are far too wet for the airing cupboard.

If you can hang them over a radiator if they are in use. They dry out over a heat source. So the fire or oven will help too. Warm air mostly works although if Buster has a trick involving 3 tins of baked beans the night before to save on elec & gas (the type extracted from the earth, that is) it might be worth hearing (remember a peg for noses though). :blush:

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 14:16

We still have the old open vented boiler system with a hot water cylinder in the cupboard.

My dad used to have a motorbike to travel to work when I was young. I can remember mum drying out his bok3 gear over the horse in front of the living room fire. Wish we still had it.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 14:20

You can get ones that clip over a radiator. At least they are cheap. They would be good for towels. We can't fit them onto our new radiators and the old ones aren't in the best places for drying.

We've got the old roll up multi string type running from wall to wall.

I really didn't want to have a dryer on and needing to dangle the hose out of the bathroom window in the night unless there was no other choice.

pulisa
24-11-22, 14:24
I've got all the old fashioned boiler stuff too.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 14:44
I've got all the old fashioned boiler stuff too.

It comes in handy sometimes like airing. Can't do that with a combi.

Pamplemousse
24-11-22, 15:53
Dehumidifiers.

Some offer a "laundry" option for drying clothes and the beauty is that they collect the water, thus stopping the house getting damp.

pulisa
24-11-22, 16:34
They're great. The Unibond Aero 360 is also a very effective device for collecting water in the atmosphere and doesn't need to be plugged in so you can use it easily anywhere in the house.

Darksky
24-11-22, 16:50
Kitchen Maid darksky? Originally a Sheila Maid.

Thats it…a kitchen maid. Very Downton Abbey.:D Trouble is ours is in an unheated room near the back door, so washing just hangs there for days. Our radiators aren’t on at all. We’ve just got a log burner in the front room, in which we all huddle. I think Pulisa is right, I’m going to have to whack the towels in the dryer and ignore the spinning electric wheel.

I hate this, do you think a time will come when electric/ gas becomes affordable again or is this it?:weep:

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 17:25
I hate this, do you think a time will come when electric/ gas becomes affordable again or is this it?:weep:

It will since current spikes have been caused by certain global factors. The question might be how Russian gas will work after the war.

Part of the price issue with gas has been panic buying by some countries which has artificially inflated the price. Now Germany have stopped doing that things might settle a bit. And the EU is working on centralisation of energy purchasing to stop bidding wars.

Exactly the same happened with Covid vaccines with suppliers laughing all the way to the bank as countries climbed over the top of each other.

But I suspect the end or 2023 is when to look.

Catkins
24-11-22, 17:49
I know this might be controversial, but, I hate it when I have to put towels in the dryer. I don't like fluffy towels, I prefer them a bit rougher. I know, I might be a little weird.

pulisa
24-11-22, 17:55
I suppose it's all about cutting back on using labour saving devices which we've all got used to accepting as the norm..A taste of living in a world where household chores took all day and plenty of muscle power. Women had no time for anything else. "Taking time out for yourself" would have been impossible.

Carnation
24-11-22, 19:41
I'm going to have a look at electric airers. It might be more more of save than having the radiator on. :shrug:

fishman65
24-11-22, 21:40
When I was a youngster I remember talk of Monday in the old days being wash day. I thought 'who would spend a whole day washing?' We are a generation that have grown up with WMs and TDs. We're spoilt and pampered. My Dad talks about the copper kettle on the fire and a mangle for wringing the clothes out. Housewives built like brick outhouses.

If we get a breezy day, hang it on the line. Last night we had the central heating on for about 4 hours, just to combat the damp, cold air that seeps into the walls. Now we know why people would talk in those days about 'making it through' another winter. They weren't being melodramatic.

Pamplemousse
24-11-22, 22:54
When I was a youngster I remember talk of Monday in the old days being wash day. I thought 'who would spend a whole day washing?' We are a generation that have grown up with WMs and TDs. We're spoilt and pampered. My Dad talks about the copper kettle on the fire and a mangle for wringing the clothes out. Housewives built like brick outhouses.

If we get a breezy day, hang it on the line. Last night we had the central heating on for about 4 hours, just to combat the damp, cold air that seeps into the walls. Now we know why people would talk in those days about 'making it through' another winter. They weren't being melodramatic.

I remember it well: with both my mother and my great-aunt, Monday was indeed wash day. Up to my teens, Mum had the luxury of a Servis twin-tub: great-aunt also had a Servis washing machine, but with a powered mangle and a separate little spin dryer. You put a bowl under the spout to catch the water and if you got it wrong, it'd dance around the kitchen like a Dalek on speed. Then of course, hanging the clothes out and later, ironing before a final airing on a wooden clothes horse in front of the fire in winter. Yes, it took up most of Monday hence why Monday tea was usually cold leftovers from Sunday dinner - I can see the cold pork and piccalilli now with boiled potatoes.

My grandmother had a "copper" in the wash-house when I was little - look it up.

For the record: Mum had a "Supertwin Mk. II" whilst great-aunt had the "Compact". I can almost smell the Daz and Omo in the steam now!
https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?36630

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 23:03
I remember it well: with both my mother and my great-aunt, Monday was indeed wash day. Up to my teens, Mum had the luxury of a Servis twin-tub: great-aunt also had a Servis washing machine, but with a powered mangle and a separate little spin dryer. You put a bowl under the spout to catch the water and if you got it wrong, it'd dance around the kitchen like a Dalek on speed. Then of course, hanging the clothes out and later, ironing before a final airing on a wooden clothes horse in front of the fire in winter. Yes, it took up most of Monday hence why Monday tea was usually cold leftovers from Sunday dinner - I can see the cold pork and piccalilli now with boiled potatoes.

My grandmother had a "copper" in the wash-house when I was little - look it up.

For the record: Mum had a "Supertwin Mk. II" whilst great-aunt had the "Compact". I can almost smell the Daz and Omo in the steam now!
https://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?36630

My mum had a twin tub. She was fond of it and we have times reminiscing about it. I will always remember her pulling clothes out with wooden tongs and using her hands on steaming washing.

EDIT: corrected my awful typos!

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-22, 23:06

Sturdy lasses back in those days...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_d3Vw3muQA8/TzmKa2VOPLI/AAAAAAAABHo/ueEE0f-bK5o/s1600/C_71_article_1085305_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg

:sofa:

Pamplemousse
24-11-22, 23:07
I'm going to have a look at electric airers. It might be more more of save than having the radiator on. :shrug:

Find an old Flatley. They do take up space though. When I was little everyone had a Flatley :)

https://www.1900s.org.uk/1950s-60s-flatley.htm

Pamplemousse
24-11-22, 23:08
My mum has a twin tub. She was fine of it and we have reminiscing about it. I will always remember her pulling clothes out with wooden tongs and using her hands on steaming washing.

Same here :)

fishman65
25-11-22, 00:33
Oh yes I forgot about the twin tub. My Mum used those wooden tongs as well.

Phill2
25-11-22, 04:06
I know this might be controversial, but, I hate it when I have to put towels in the dryer. I don't like fluffy towels, I prefer them a bit rougher. I know, I might be a little weird.

That's the way I like em too so if you're a bit weird so am I. :ohmy: