PDA

View Full Version : Dementia

AnxietyZT
06-05-22, 13:27
Unfortunately, just scrolling through social media I saw a post about how taking Benadryl long term can increase your risk of getting dementia (I guess significantly). It caused a pretty significant panic because I use to take Benadryl (I don’t believe everyday, though) for like a year to help me sleep. Definitely more than I should’ve native to the fact that OTC medications cannot cause any harm/long term effects. At this point, it is what it is. I can’t change the past and I’ve been trying to remember how long I was taking it, how often, etc. Just trying to calm myself. It’s been a common theme where I panic because of OTC medications I use to take in my early 20s that I know think are going to impact me now. Quick note, I really don’t think I have any memory loss at all. If anything, I’d say I get complimented on me remembering things. I do sometimes lose the word that I want to say, but I think that is an anxiety thing?

Scass
06-05-22, 21:13
There’s a lot of things that can cause dementia really. I expect you’d be pretty unlucky to get it from a years worth of Benadryl.

Fishmanpa
06-05-22, 23:27
I took Benadryl for sleep as well for a couple of years as well as many other OTC and prescription meds. I don't have any signs of.... what is that again? Hmmm... where am I? :roflmao:

NOTE: Sarcasm for illustration purposes ;)

FMP

AnxietyZT
07-05-22, 00:16
The good news is these replies made me laugh lol. I completely agree and this definitely helped. Thank you. I do think this pandemic made me regress mentally and it might be time to visit my therapist again. It’s been years that I didnt “visit” this forum per se, but the fact I posted here twice in less than 6 months says something.

Ponder
07-05-22, 02:57
That's a bit like saying alcohol has an tendency to making people drunk. You would be unlucky if drinking too much gets you pissed. I too had a laugh at some of the responses. Denial for the sake of an out. In such cases it mostly comes down to the lessor of two evils. A much more grounded and honest approach.