PDA

View Full Version : Confused about whether I have panic disorder

Unhappy_Tiger
14-02-05, 01:43
I'm 17 years old and have always had some form of stage fright/being in the center of attention kind of phobia. I haven't raised my hand in classes for years. Lately however, in certain circumstances I get panic attacks - symptoms are: out of breath, dizziness, heart rate skyrockets, this feeling of dissociation and dreamlike unreality, nausea, hands and sometimes feet shake, and occasionally I start sweating, along with horrible butterflies and a feeling of wracking terror. However, these are ONLY in certain circumstances, like crowds, being called on in class (particularly english class - I have now begun to feel general anxiety just thinking about the class, let alone being in it), some claustrophobic situations, etc. However, because I've only gotten these panic attacks in certain situations, and I've heard that sufferers of panic disorder get them out of the blue, I'm wondering if what I have instead is just a collection of phobias. What's the difference and how do I tell?

I'm reluctant to consult a psychiatrist because of this feeling of inferiority I've always had since I was young, and that doctors have more important patients to tend to. However, it's starting to interfere with my life and my mom thinks I may have panic disorder. Can someone tell me what the best thing to do is and if I may have panic disorder or not?

seh1980
14-02-05, 09:00
hello there,

Welcome to the site!! Yes, I think your mom might be right - it does sound like you suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. The best thing to do is to go talk to your doctor and see what he/she says.

Sarah :D

mojo5
14-02-05, 09:46
Hi There U T

Sorry to hear you're suffering with these symptoms.

These anxious feeling are more common than you might think and the good news is that they completely treatable.

You have come to the right place, you'll get lots of support and help here.

Wishing you well. Mo.

henri
14-02-05, 11:11
hi there,
i'm no expert, but it definitely sounds like anxiety/panic attacks.
i reckon you should go and see your doctor - he should be able to help you.
since this whole thing started happening to me i've realised that panic attacks are quite common and you are not alone in feeling the way you do.
take care
henri x

Tracy68
14-02-05, 12:51
Hiya
Welcome to the site. Everyone on here is great and i'm sure you'll find alot of help and support.
Take care
xx

Meg
14-02-05, 13:45
Hi Tiger-

**general anxiety just thinking about the class**
It sounds like this started off as many children do with lots of self conciousness and nervousness but as you grew up and your activities grew and you learned to think and relate one situation to another the situation escalated .

**sufferers of panic disorder get them out of the blue** In reality very few people get continual panic attacks out of the blue - the first ones may be so - but there is usually a reason that can be identified but again learned behaviour kicks in and the ongoing ones are as a result of thought patterns - just like you're learning to do.

I don't think you have panic disorder per se but a series of anxiety episodes due to a growing number of triggers.

A psychologist or CBT counsellor will be able to help you learn to reverse this trend. You do not need a psychiatrist but I guess in the USA for insurance to pay you may need to be assessed by one first before getting referred on.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Unhappy_Tiger
14-02-05, 20:07
Thanks all - it really makes me feel better to know there are people that understand out there. My friends try to be supportive, but I just don't think they understand...

I had the worst panic attack of my life today. All the previous symptoms, but also jelly legs, chills, and tingling/numbness in my hands and feet. It was really weird, I had never gotten one that extreme before. I had to leave the english class (I was in english, no suprise) to go lean over in the hall. I thought I was going to faint.

Anyways... just wanted to share that for some reason. Not really quite so relevent.

I'll try to get up the courage to talk to someone... it's pretty hard to me to seek medical help for anything, mental or physical.

One more question though - I know you guys wouldn't be positive since I'm assuming you're not psychiatrists, but would the person I talked to (if it was a psychiatrist, since I believe they're the only ones that can legally prescribe stuff) be likely to prescribe any sort of medicine/SSRI? Or would it more likely be behavioral/psychotherapy?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

jill
14-02-05, 20:13
Hi Tiger

Welcome to the site

There are lots of nice people here
who will help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge canquers fear.

Meg
14-02-05, 21:30
a combination of both most likely .

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Unhappy_Tiger
14-02-05, 21:53
Ok. Again, thanks so much.

Kroko
14-02-05, 22:12
Whenever you get these attacks, try to remember that they're not dangerous at all, your mind just tricks you into thinking they are.

nomorepanic
14-02-05, 22:16
Welcome aboard the forum!

Good to see you here.

Nicola

Unhappy_Tiger
16-02-05, 22:55
All right, I have a new question, but I didn't want to make a new thread because I don't want to be a bother and take up too much space...

I was in photography class today, and completely out of the blue (though I had had a little bit of theobromine that morning - the heart stimulant that's in tea - and was feeling residual anxiety) I got mounting terror, chills, dizziness, racing heartbeat, and feeling out of breath. The weird thing was, I was doing abdominal breathing to soothe the residual anxiety beforehand, and I think that's what triggered it... I went out in the hall and did abdominal breathing (4 breaths/min) again and I calmed down in 5 minutes or so. Is is possible that abdominal breathing can actually trigger attacks?

Also, I've had so much worse panic attacks than this one that I wasn't even sure if this WAS a panic attack rather than just residual anxiety with extra symptoms. I've read that when you have a panic attack, you're sure you're having one. Is it possible to not be absolutely positive that the terror you're experiencing is a panic attack, or when that happens does that by default make it not a panic attack?

Hope those questions made sense.

Thanks again.

~Laura

FAN
16-02-05, 23:07
breathing does cause the attacks definately the whole lot goes out of sync i find

fan x

Meg
16-02-05, 23:13
You're not being a bother and we have no space restriction...you go for it..

Sounds like it was building but you managed to control it pre panic - so a big well done .

Had you eaten recently ?

Meg

Unhappy_Tiger
16-02-05, 23:16
Thanks!! :D

Actually I had... besides the stimulant tea, I had a special K cereal bar that morning... and this was the first class of the day.