PDA

View Full Version : heart tests

JR
07-11-03, 05:14
what is the best test to make sure your heart is 100%

Meg
07-11-03, 10:04
Hi JR,

There are a whole gamit of tests/investigations- each used to investigate a different part/ function of the heart ie arteries elasticity, cardiac muscle, valves, electrical activity, rhythm, strength, walls, circulation times through and out of the heart, blood composition ie lipid and viscocity, arterial pressures, JVP measurements... etc etc

It's a complex subject.

Where you would you like to start and what will you do with the information ?

If you're in the USA you can request certain tests by exerting pressure on the doctor who just claims it off insurance but in the UK there is no way that a test will be scheduled - apart from an ECG - at a patients request without clinical reasons to support this.

We recently had a bit of a thread about this under 'panic' and then 'help'

Essentially - if you are at low risk of heart disease, you would be doing yourself a great service if you actively participated in strengthening your heart by exercise and healthy eating as well as the usual life style measures no smoking - limited alcohol etc .

This would help ensure that you have no cause to worry about the small risk of having a heart attack and thus help comfort you that there is no need to be so concerned.

However, if you have a specific concern please do post back and I'll try to help.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

kathy12
09-11-03, 18:59
quote:Originally posted by JR

what is the best test to make sure your heart is 100%

a heart ultrasound is probably the best, it shows everything. blood flow, measurements, valves. I had one because I was constantly short of breath and convinced I had congestive heart failure,ended up being just anxiety that cause my symptoms i had a full body scan done too, which is good but definitly not for hypochondriacs like myself because that was what set me off into a complete panic in the first place. but a ultrasound is really good, better than an EKG