PDA

View Full Version : Music from environment looping

soulsearcher
30-05-22, 22:17
Hello

I don’t know where to post this as I am not sure what’s going on with me. Have any of you who have anxiety ever had every music sound in your environment repeat in your head none stop. I know it’s normal to get a song stuck but this Is different. For an example if I walk in to a shop and a song is playing it will repeat. Then if I walk in to a different shop the song may change and repeat. if my mobile rings it can repeat.

all of this started nearly four years ago when I stopped taking a beta blocker medication and has been there ever since. I also have tinnitus. The music looping is causing me a lot of stress as sometimes I can’t function.

I have spoken to mental health who listen but do nothing and doctors have still not sent me to a neurologist.
the only help I have had is my tinnitus got checked and I was given a tinnitus maskers. My partner has noticed I move my legs at night so I am not sure if it’s just that. I also discovered that I had undiagnosed adhd so now I have that treated doctors have even blamed my stimulant and I only started that two years later. I have disturbed sleep from the beta blocker.

Thanks for any advice

Lencoboy
31-05-22, 08:10
Hello

I don’t know where to post this as I am not sure what’s going on with me. Have any of you who have anxiety ever had every music sound in your environment repeat in your head none stop. I know it’s normal to get a song stuck but this Is different. For an example if I walk in to a shop and a song is playing it will repeat. Then if I walk in to a different shop the song may change and repeat. if my mobile rings it can repeat.

all of this started nearly four years ago when I stopped taking a beta blocker medication and has been there ever since. I also have tinnitus. The music looping is causing me a lot of stress as sometimes I can’t function.

I have spoken to mental health who listen but do nothing and doctors have still not sent me to a neurologist.
the only help I have had is my tinnitus got checked and I was given a tinnitus maskers. My partner has noticed I move my legs at night so I am not sure if it’s just that. I also discovered that I had undiagnosed adhd so now I have that treated doctors have even blamed my stimulant and I only started that two years later. I have disturbed sleep from the beta blocker.

Thanks for any advice

Out of interest, are the songs you hear playing in the shops songs you particularly dislike, or are they just any old random song?

I sometimes get that, especially with familiar songs. It's a phenomenon called 'Musical Ear Syndrome', but luckily it doesn't cause me major anxiety, unless it's (familiar) songs that I can't stand, or songs that remind me of past negative events.

soulsearcher
31-05-22, 08:54
Thank you for your reply it’s just any songs that repeat. I actually love music I am sure it’s my sleep the strange thing is the other week I was mixing my music and them songs never looped. Today I woke up hyper and excited so that is a good sign I might be ok. If I have a bad day my memory is affected but on a very good day it’s not. I can’t plan anything as I don’t know how I am going to be. People who have adhd have music loops but it never bothers them this is different.

Lencoboy
05-06-22, 07:46
Last night (or probably more like early this morning) I was dreaming about being at someone's house and hearing a foghorning sound coming from their CH boiler or F&E tank, and still heard said sound looping in my head for about 15 minutes after I first woke up this morning.

Nothing mega serious, but it did make me have flashbacks to the respite unit I used to stay at in the early 90s when I was about 13, which had a foghorning boiler or F&E tank, albeit only periodically at random times throughout the day, and thankfully never heard in any of the bedrooms with the door closed.

NoraB
13-06-22, 15:08
I had Paloma Faith's Make Your Own Kind of Music looping in my head at 4am this morning until 6.30 am...

The environmental stuff has eased up since I've gorn death in one ear. If I sleep on my good ear then it's ok. If I sleep on my bad ear then I can hear literally everything because my good ear is compensating for the deaf one. I can hear electricity (mind you, I've always been able to hear that) and everything else, including my husband's snores, grunts, and the flappy thing he does with his lips..

All this, and Paloma Faith giving it some ON REPEAT in my brain. GRRRRR!!!!

fishman65
14-06-22, 14:11
One thing I will say about music and anxiety is don't listen to something you really like if you're needing to be in a calm and relaxed (as much as we can be) state. I was searching YouTube this morning before getting up. I found a young man and woman called 'Fleesh' who do cover versions of various rock bands. I listened to some Marillion covers and they're really very good. The problem is Marillion and in particular Fish Marillion are my all time favourite band, they bring back all sorts of happy memories and I can get quite emotional.

Of course emotions can trigger physical symptoms that mimic anxiety. Which is what happened so not a good start to the day.

Lencoboy
14-06-22, 15:29
One thing I will say about music and anxiety is don't listen to something you really like if you're needing to be in a calm and relaxed (as much as we can be) state. I was searching YouTube this morning before getting up. I found a young man and woman called 'Fleesh' who do cover versions of various rock bands. I listened to some Marillion covers and they're really very good. The problem is Marillion and in particular Fish Marillion are my all time favourite band, they bring back all sorts of happy memories and I can get quite emotional.

Of course emotions can trigger physical symptoms that mimic anxiety. Which is what happened so not a good start to the day.

Yes, Marillion's earlier albums are excellent, especially the timeless classic 'Misplaced Childhood' from 1985.

Later albums (post-'Season's End', which was their last 'decent' album IMO, and incidentally their first without Fish) I think are a total borefest (no offence intended).

ATM I have Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' looping in my head, which is currently destined for Number 1 in the UK Singles Charts this weekend.

Currently at Number 2, which has already bettered it's original Number 3 placement in 1985!

NoraB
14-06-22, 19:04
ATM I have Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' looping in my head, which is currently destined for Number 1 in the UK Singles Charts this weekend.

Currently at Number 2, which has already bettered it's original Number 3 placement in 1985!

Kate Bush? Be still my beating heart. The woman's a fox..:cool:

Ever heard The Ninth Wave? It's amazing. Still gives me chills..

I believe KB owes this latest chart success to the Netflix series, Stranger Things?

My first BF bought me A Script for a Jester's Tear for my birthday after I said I liked Garden Party. Brilliant album..

Fish for me too...

fishman65
14-06-22, 20:02
Lenco and Nora, little did I know I had two fellow Marillion fans here on NMP.

I agree the Fish Marillion is the definitive. Those vocals, the lyrics and the stage presence were pivotal in creating that early sound. Misplaced too is my favourite album, though Clutching at Straws runs it close. The CAS period also produced a superb B-side 'Going Under'. Listening to Fish's lyrics on the album, you can hear the signs that all was not well in the band. 'And if my owners let me, have some free time someday, with all good intentions, I would probably run away'.

I saw them live four times. De Montfort Hall Leicester in March 1984, Monsters of Rock Donnington Park August 1985, Birmingham NEC December 1985, Welcome to the Garden Party, Milton Keynes Bowl July 1986. Then saw Fish solo at Aylesbury Civic Centre July 1990.

Steve Hogarth had a hard act to follow IMO. And I think he's a decent vocalist, a very similar voice to Peter Gabriel. They had their moments post Fish. Easter is a brilliant track, Steve Rothery's guitar is never better. Cover My Eyes, Dry Land, No One Can, Beautiful, Gazpacho are all great songs. Then there's the 'Brave' album. Its a monumental work that contains the section 'The Great Escape'. Its a section rather than a stand alone track, Brave being that outdated name a 'concept album'. But 'The Great Escape' rips your heart out, its up there with anything the band ever did, telling the story of a suicidal young woman.

However the band ran out of steam eventually. 'Marbles' from 2004 is an album I just can't get into. Fish has his moments too post-Marillion, 'Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors' his first and probably best solo album. Musical differences was the official reason he left, though he's since revealed he wanted out because the band had become too big and he'd lost control of his own destiny.

pulisa
14-06-22, 21:12
I couldn't get "Running Up That Hill" out of my head when I was on the labour ward and in absolute agony in Nov 1985!!! Sorry Nora but I hate that song with a vengeance and have never been able to listen to it since..Can't believe it's been resurrected...

NoraB
15-06-22, 07:14
Steve Hogarth had a hard act to follow IMO.

Indeed. Some lead singers have too bigger size of boot, eh?

Some bands have had some luck though, like AC/DC. Bon was my personal favourite. He had the voice and the look but Brian's voice was (is) awesome. He might look like one of my husband's bowling mates but the dude can screech! :shades:

Another lead change fail? Van Halen. Though Van Halen was always Eddie for me anyway. I thought David Le Roth was a bit of a div..

I watched Queen perform at the Queen's thingy the other week and Adam Lambert does a decent job but he's no Freddie Mercury. I think John Deacon had the right idea. For him, Queen died with Freddie..

Back to Fish...

One of my favourite Marillion songs is Sugar Mice and I love the live version even more..(Thieving Magpie album I think it was?)

NoraB
15-06-22, 07:22
I couldn't get "Running Up That Hill" out of my head when I was on the labour ward and in absolute agony in Nov 1985!!! Sorry Nora but I hate that song with a vengeance and have never been able to listen to it since..Can't believe it's been resurrected...

The one I remember hearing when I was in agony giving birth to my eldest is George Michael's Father Figure..:huh:

I'm chuffed that Kate's having some unexpected chart success. She's so lovely and her music has helped to keep me on this planet, and from the first time I heard her calling out for Heathcliff! (1978)

I think I need to play me some Ninth Wave while staring at her lovely face in my massive book, Under The Ivy. (I sound like a massive stalker weirdo but I don't care) :yesyes:

pulisa
15-06-22, 07:49
Am I right in thinking that she suffers from agoraphobia?

Lencoboy
15-06-22, 08:06
The one I remember hearing when I was in agony giving birth to my eldest is George Michael's Father Figure..:huh:

I'm chuffed that Kate's having some unexpected chart success. She's so lovely and her music has helped to keep me on this planet, and from the first time I heard her calling out for Heathcliff! (1978)

I think I need to play me some Ninth Wave while staring at her lovely face in my massive book, Under The Ivy. (I sound like a massive stalker weirdo but I don't care) :yesyes:

I remember you mentioned in one of my threads last year (I think) about you recording 'Wuthering Heights' off the radio onto your portable cassette recorder (via the built-in mic) when it was in the charts back in the late 70s, with the sound of the toilet being flushed and your mom calling you downstairs for your dinner infiltrating the recording!

However, KB for me has always been one of many artists who I generally can take or leave, in the sense that I have never been a real fan, but don't necessarily dislike, and 'RUTH' has always been a number of hers that's always resonated with me in a good way (sorry Pulisa).

As far as its current high chart placement owing to its mammoth reappraisal due to being featured in 'Stranger Things' (which I have never even watched BTW) is concerned, it does seem uncannily incongruous with the rest of the charts right now, but in a good way IMO!

NoraB
15-06-22, 08:31
I know that she struggled massively with the death of her close friend in the 90s. She's an incredibly private person by nature and the fact that she's so 'un-celebrity' is one of the reasons I like her so much..

She's clearly had some MH issues and a breakdown/burnout of some kind which meant that she was unable to write music and perform. Then she had her son, Bertie, and this changed everything for her. Ariel was her comeback album after about 12 years away from the business and you can tell how much of an inspiration her son was to her in certain songs on the album. His voice is also on some tracks. It's also this album where Kate addresses the loss of her mother in a beautiful song called The Coral Room. This song stepped up several emotional levels when my mum died and I remember sitting on the floor listening to it on repeat, bawling my eyes out..

Kate's got an ethereal/mystical air about her which I really like. Unsurprisingly, this is also one of the reasons I like Stevie Nicks..

I think I'll play Ariel today, I've inspired myself. :yesyes:

Another stand out track for me (on a different album) is Among Angels. Chills me, as in, it makes the hairs on my arms (and chest) stand up..

I can see angels around you.
They shimmer like mirrors in Summer.
There's someone who's loved you forever but you don't know it.

Awww Kate... :emot-crying:

Lencoboy
15-06-22, 09:21
Unsurprisingly, this is also one of the reasons I like Stevie Nicks..

Fleetwood Mac are another act that fall into the 'take or leave' category for me.

While the stuff from the evergreen 'Rumours' is a bit overplayed to death and various other material of theirs I find a bit 'meh', I really love the track 'Everywhere' that was a big hit back in spring 1988, and from their 1987 album 'Tango In The Night'.

'Everywhere' has similar vibes to 'RUTH' (obviously being from more or less the same era, in spite of a 2-3 year gap), but quite a few people actually dislike that particular era of the Mac, as they believe they had become too 'poppy' and trying too much to do the 'selling out' thing typical of the mid to late 80s era, of which other big-name acts whose careers spanned multiple decades were also heavily lambasted for around that time by many die-hard fans.

Lencoboy
17-06-22, 20:14
Well Kate has finally done it with the epic that is 'RUTH', after 37 long years.

Got to be one of the longest-ever gaps between Number 1 hit singles by a given solo artist; 44 years between 'Wuthering Heights' in 1978 and 'RUTH' in 2022, despite the latter actually being a golden oldie from 1985 that peaked at Number 3 on its original release and chart run back then.

Pretty amazing stuff!

NoraB
18-06-22, 07:54
Well Kate has finally done it with the epic that is 'RUTH', after 37 long years.

Got to be one of the longest-ever gaps between Number 1 hit singles by a given solo artist; 44 years between 'Wuthering Heights' in 1978 and 'RUTH' in 2022, despite the latter actually being a golden oldie from 1985 that peaked at Number 3 on its original release and chart run back then.

Pretty amazing stuff!

It's the mark of a great song that it can resonate with a young generation almost four decades on. Kate wrote and produced the song and at the time NME ranked it at number 3 in the tracks of 1985. The woman is incredibly talented..

I'm so happy for her..:yesyes:

Lencoboy
18-06-22, 09:51
It's the mark of a great song that it can resonate with a young generation almost four decades on. Kate wrote and produced the song and at the time NME ranked it at number 3 in the tracks of 1985. The woman is incredibly talented..

I'm so happy for her..:yesyes:

Yeah, showing what REAL music is!

NoraB
19-06-22, 08:30
Yeah, showing what REAL music is!

I'm trying not to be an old git when it comes to commenting on some of the utter shite that's in the charts today but yeah, I agree with you. This is real music...

Lencoboy
19-06-22, 08:56
Last night (or probably more like early this morning) I was dreaming about being at someone's house and hearing a foghorning sound coming from their CH boiler or F&E tank, and still heard said sound looping in my head for about 15 minutes after I first woke up this morning.

Nothing mega serious, but it did make me have flashbacks to the respite unit I used to stay at in the early 90s when I was about 13, which had a foghorning boiler or F&E tank, albeit only periodically at random times throughout the day, and thankfully never heard in any of the bedrooms with the door closed.

While not necessarily musical looping-related in this particular instance, I had a dream last night about the (clients') toilet on the ground floor at that respite unit back in the very early 90s, which was not only directly next door to the plant room which the boiler and its associated equipment was installed (and hearing the periodical foghorning noise quite loud in that particular toilet being in the adjoining room), there were ghoulish-looking valves installed on the fully-exposed pipework in there too, which also creeped me out.

I even vividly remember the plasticky smell of the non-slip flooring in that toilet room (the stuff that has those silver glittery bits embossed on it). I really hated that particular toilet.

Luckily there were other toilets (and bathrooms) for client use upstairs in the building that I was also able to use, in whose rooms with the doors closed you couldn't hear that foghorning noise whenever it was going, though I still heard it resonating through the pipes under the floorboards in the corridor upstairs just above where the boiler room (downstairs) was. I used to use the upstairs toilet/bathroom located the farthest away from that spot with the foghorning noise, as it really used to freak me out.

I recall one evening whilst eating our evening meal in the dining area of the upstairs lounge (where us more able clients tended to eat our meals, and the less-able clients are their meals in the main dining room downstairs), I had heard said foghorning sound when I walked past the spot to go to the toilet and wash my hands just before dinner, and while I was eating I could hear that din endlessly looping in my head, despite the fact that the dining area of the upstairs lounge was right up the opposite end of the building and well away from the offending sound.

All the staff there seemed totally indifferent to that sound, even the nicer staff members, who fortunately outnumbered the stroppy, power-mad ones, of which there were only about 2 of. And they both told me to 'stop being silly' and to 'pull yourself together 'cause you're 13' when I panicked about that noise!

I still get panic attacks whenever I hear similar sounds today, especially if they're in a similar musical key; in the range of B to C.

On the flip side, it does seem that there's a much greater awareness and understanding of plumbing-related deficiencies nowadays (and the problems they can cause if unattended to), compared to back then.

But I'm still feeling a bit anxious and having panic attacks this morning after that dream. Me boring you all to death with this story has partly helped me to relieve my attendant stress.

NoraB
20-06-22, 06:58
Me boring you all to death with this story has partly helped me to relieve my attendant stress.

Not remotely bored. It's quite comforting to know that other people experience similar things to me. I remember all the smells from school and vividly and all the noises including the creaking of floorboards and tapping in the pipes. These things are what I remember above most everything else (except history and art as I was able to override the sensory stuff somewhat because I was interested in these subjects and my history teacher (also the female Deputy Head teacher) was someone I trusted and felt safe with..

Lencoboy
20-06-22, 08:22
Not remotely bored. It's quite comforting to know that other people experience similar things to me. I remember all the smells from school and vividly and all the noises including the creaking of floorboards and tapping in the pipes. These things are what I remember above most everything else (except history and art as I was able to override the sensory stuff somewhat because I was interested in these subjects and my history teacher (also the female Deputy Head teacher) was someone I trusted and felt safe with..

Ta very much Nora.

I bet many of the staff at your school (apart from those you mentioned who you confided in) didn't really give a sh1te about issues with the plumbing and other 'deficiencies' with the fabric of the school building, as not only was it probably beyond their personal technical comprehension, but also 'not their problem', as there were (and still are) specifically-named personnel within the local (education) authority that had to deal with it, and whenever it suited them, of course!

NoraB
20-06-22, 12:51
Ta very much Nora.

I bet many of the staff at your school (apart from those you mentioned who you confided in) didn't really give a sh1te about issues with the plumbing and other 'deficiencies' with the fabric of the school building, as not only was it probably beyond their personal technical comprehension, but also 'not their problem', as there were (and still are) specifically-named personnel within the local (education) authority that had to deal with it, and whenever it suited them, of course!

I felt safe with her because she tolerated zero shit in her class, so there was no bullying in history lessons as opposed to most other lessons where the teachers either didn't give a crap what was happening or they were bullies themselves...

Lencoboy
20-06-22, 17:26
I felt safe with her because she tolerated zero shit in her class, so there was no bullying in history lessons as opposed to most other lessons where the teachers either didn't give a crap what was happening or they were bullies themselves...

Sounds like she was an absolute angel, Nora.

Shame about the other wastes of space who seemingly sided with the bullies or were even sadist bullies themselves.

Anyone with such an attitude isn't even a 'teacher' as far as I'm concerned, just nothing but a gutless to55er!

NoraB
21-06-22, 07:03
Sounds like she was an absolute angel, Nora.

She didn't look (or sound) like an angel lol. But she took no shit from anybody in her classroom and I felt safe around her. She was also kind to me when I ended up in her office for fighting back (after 4 years of being bullied).

Shame about the other wastes of space who seemingly sided with the bullies or were even sadist bullies themselves.

There were many teachers who appeared to enjoy 'disciplining' children. I presumed that being a school teacher meant that they liked children. How naive I was!

Anyone with such an attitude isn't even a 'teacher' as far as I'm concerned, just nothing but a gutless to55er!

I think there are were two types of teachers in my day, and those of earlier generations. Those who genuinely liked children and wanted to help them be the best that they can be, and the other type was a bully/abuser who chose the profession because this gave them access to vulnerable humans who they could belittle and abuse in order to make them feel powerful when in reality they were cowards...

Lencoboy
21-06-22, 07:43
I think there are were two types of teachers in my day, and those of earlier generations. Those who genuinely liked children and wanted to help them be the best that they can be, and the other type was a bully/abuser who chose the profession because this gave them access to vulnerable humans who they could belittle and abuse in order to make them feel powerful when in reality they were cowards...

I guess the same can also be said for other professions/organisations such as the Police, Social Services, NHS, etc.

Lencoboy
21-06-22, 07:53
This morning I woke up to the 'wailing cat' sound effect on the intro to the Prodigy song 'Firestarter' looping in my head.

That sound has always jarred on me (sorry fans of that song).

NoraB
21-06-22, 07:56
I guess the same can also be said for other professions/organisations such as the Police, Social Services, NHS, etc.

Absolutely.

I've come to realise that having the job title of 'carer' (or any job which requires care) doesn't mean that the individual is a caring person. There are a lot of abusers in positions of care and I think it's astounding at how easy it is for people to get jobs 'caring' for vulnerable people!

NoraB
21-06-22, 07:59
This morning I woke up to the 'wailing cat' sound effect on the intro to the Prodigy song 'Firestarter' looping in my head.

That sound has always jarred on me (sorry fans of that song).

I love the Prodigy!

I'm the self-inflicted mind detonator..

Apt lyric for HAers...

Lencoboy
21-06-22, 09:52
I love the Prodigy!

I'm the self-inflicted mind detonator..

Apt lyric for HAers...

I'm sure you were one of the lovers of that song and The Prodigy in general of whom I was collectively apologising to.

Lencoboy
21-06-22, 09:56
Absolutely.

I've come to realise that having the job title of 'carer' (or any job which requires care) doesn't mean that the individual is a caring person. There are a lot of abusers in positions of care and I think it's astounding at how easy it is for people to get jobs 'caring' for vulnerable people!

Many of such sad cases seem to think that such jobs of theirs are an automatic god-given right.

Sorry but despite the fact that it pains me to see mass unemployment in general, jobs have to be earned by being done properly and tactfully as far as I'm concerned.

NoraB
21-06-22, 10:00
I'm sure you were one of the lovers of that song and The Prodigy in general of whom I was collectively apologising to.

No need to apologise Lenco..

I used to dance (I say dance, but I can't dance so let's just say 'throw some uncoordinated moves') with my lad (he was three) to Charly lol

Keith Flint (RIP) was a great dancer. Dude had some moves! (which is more than I can say for myself)

Lencoboy
09-07-22, 15:41
I read on another forum that certain individuals have been getting indignant over Kate Bush's 'RUTH' getting a massive revival in popularity and even topping the UK Singles Charts recently, bemoaning that a previously great number has now been 'stolen' and inadvertently ruined by the yoof of today!

Good god, it seems today's youngsters can't win and get it in the neck whatever the event. One minute they're being lambasted for liking and listening to rap and autotuned dance-pop, now they're being lambasted for liking and listening to certain 'golden oldies' like 'RUTH'!

As for said generation 'stealing' said song amid its current reappraisal, what a load of codswallop!

NoraB
10-07-22, 07:46
Half of the music I listened to as a teenager was from before my time. I was (and still am) a Beatles fan and they broke up a few months before I was born. Great music is like great literature and movies - timeless and to be enjoyed for generations to come.

RUTH - a song which is about men and women swapping roles so that they can better understand each other - is still as relevant today as it was in 85..

If today's generation can show RUTH the same kind of love my generation showed it in 85 (or more so as it's number one this time) then I think it's brilliant. Kudos for the kids of today for appreciating a great song when they hear it, and kudos to Kate for writing the bugger (also, allowing the song to be used in Stranger Things - as she's usually very protective of her work)

Lencoboy
11-07-22, 08:21
Half of the music I listened to as a teenager was from before my time. I was (and still am) a Beatles fan and they broke up a few months before I was born. Great music is like great literature and movies - timeless and to be enjoyed for generations to come.

RUTH - a song which is about men and women swapping roles so that they can better understand each other - is still as relevant today as it was in 85..

If today's generation can show RUTH the same kind of love my generation showed it in 85 (or more so as it's number one this time) then I think it's brilliant. Kudos for the kids of today for appreciating a great song when they hear it, and kudos to Kate for writing the bugger (also, allowing the song to be used in Stranger Things - as she's usually very protective of her work)

You're dead right Nora.

I also appreciate the music by the Fab Four, despite being born in 77. It's timeless and legendary. Ditto for the likes of ABBA, Queen, etc.

Although Kate probably isn't in quite the same league as say, ABBA, in terms of mega worldwide success, I wonder if she might start to enjoy a similar reappraisal that ABBA have done since 1992 when their (now) evergreen 'ABBA Gold' compilation was first released, since they were in the popularity wilderness for over a decade since they recorded and released their (then) last 'new' material in 82?

Regarding my previous post about certain people getting indignant about the renewed popularity of 'RUTH' and the accusations of it being 'stolen' by today's popular culture, I recall a similar thing happening back around 2009-10 with Journey's 1981 song 'Don't Stop Believin'', which bombed here in the UK upon its original release (but was still a big hit Stateside first time round), and enjoyed a massive reappraisal following its appearance in 'Glee', and the original charted in the Top 10 here for the first time.

Some said since that particular moment they no longer enjoy the song 'DSB' as it was 'stolen' in a similar fashion.

But at least as far as 'RUTH' is concerned, it's still the original version from 85 in the current charts and not some crappy modern-day dance remake with autotuned vocals and the obligatory 'rent-a-rapper', which would have really spoiled it and butchered it to death!

pulisa
11-07-22, 13:41
I must admit that I was confused about what you were referring to re RUTH....and then I twigged!

Sorry..It's still One To Be Avoided in my brain!:D

Lencoboy
11-07-22, 18:12
I do find it most ironic when certain people (especially the older generations) constantly bemoan the state of modern-day pop music, but when the younger generation suddenly starts discovering and takes likings to certain 'golden oldies' from the past, the older generation that loved and remembered the original releases from first time round sometimes suddenly start disliking said songs and even start 'disowning' said songs from their collection.

When it comes to the younger generation's musical tastes, they're basically 'damned if do, damned if don't'!

pulisa
11-07-22, 19:27
Sorry, Lenco..RUTH reminds me of a particularly painful time in actual 1985.I hope this is an acceptable reason to dislike it?

Fishmanpa
11-07-22, 22:52
I do find it most ironic when certain people (especially the older generations) constantly bemoan the state of modern-day pop music, but when the younger generation suddenly starts discovering and takes likings to certain 'golden oldies' from the past, the older generation that loved and remembered the original releases from first time round sometimes suddenly start disliking said songs and even start 'disowning' said songs from their collection.

When it comes to the younger generation's musical tastes, they're basically 'damned if do, damned if don't'!

I disagree with this 100% In fact, I like to watch music reaction videos that are typically done by young folks (under 30) of music I grew up listening to. I find it affirming that they are just as amazed and enamored as I was back in the day. In fact, my son, (who just turned 32 is a huge Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac fan). And if they didn't like it? So what? :shrug:

I do think that a lot of today's pop music is kinda 'eh' (its always been that way though) but there are many new artists and bands that I listen to and like.

FMP

NoraB
12-07-22, 08:42
I try to listen to new chart music at least once a month now and there's a lot of skipping tracks but there are the occasional tracks I like. I love the Sam Fender (Eurovision) track but I do struggle with many of the songs in the charts sounding the same - autotuned to hell - and lacking in substance, so I am pleased to see Master of Puppets in the charts (also due to Stranger Things) because it's an excellent song and Metallica are an excellent band. I do like a bit o' thrash metal!

I'm inspired now. I'm doing under the dado rail in the bedroom today (decorating) and I think I'll play some Metallica and do some air-drumming (or attempt to ha ha ha) with my paint brushes. :shades:

Lencoboy
12-07-22, 16:32
I try to listen to new chart music at least once a month now and there's a lot of skipping tracks but there are the occasional tracks I like. I love the Sam Fender (Eurovision) track but I do struggle with many of the songs in the charts sounding the same - autotuned to hell - and lacking in substance, so I am pleased to see Master of Puppets in the charts (also due to Stranger Things) because it's an excellent song and Metallica are an excellent band. I do like a bit o' thrash metal!

I'm inspired now. I'm doing under the dado rail in the bedroom today (decorating) and I think I'll play some Metallica and do some air-drumming (or attempt to ha ha ha) with my paint brushes. :shades:

I personally think that the music industry has partly shot itself in the foot over the past decade or more by trying to stay too formulaic, obviously due to fear and risk of losing sales, which they have (ironically) done anyway through sticking with the 'same old same old' over the same period.

On the other hand (and also ironically), there are many older people who lament the loss of local HMV stores and the more widespread availability of CDs in previous decades, but probably never even set foot in an HMV (or likewise) store, nor even bought a CD album since about 2006 or so, which also smacks of hypocrisy.

It has also been a case of 'use it or lose it' in many respects.

NoraB
13-07-22, 07:40
I still use HMV.. (I was in there last week)

However, I think the last CD I bought was These People by Richard Ashcroft in 2016. :ohmy:

Have bought some vinyl albums though (and choked as I paid the money)

Aside my vinyl and CD collection, I use Amazon music for streaming and I generally buy music that way these days. I used to spend hours with my records and tapes making mix tapes and I still do this now on Amazon with playlists, only it's a lot quicker and no annoying cassette tape spoilage or technical issues with CD burning. What happens now is the internet conks out. :roflmao:

I played the Stranger Things music playlist yesterday (air drums for Master of Puppets, obvs) and it was excellent. Five hours worth of music. It's convenient, but there is still something special about going to a record store and handling albums..:emot-drool:

Go back further to the 70s and 80s (when a new album was under a fiver) and it was a treat for me to go the the record store with my dad. And they only sold records and tapes.. (and maybe a few badges and patches)

I've just seen that HMV is flogging The Clash's Combat Rock album (green disc) for the 40th anniversary so that's going on my wish list. (Forty years though? I feel ancient now)

Combat Rock was the album that was playing (loudly) in 82 when my mother booted open the bedroom door with her fluffy mule slipper; she marched in and unceremoniously removed The Clash mid-song - into the sleeve it went, and out through the window. The song was Should I Stay or Should I go (I guess the answer was 'Go') :roflmao:

To be fair to my mum, I had a habit of playing my music at ear-splitting levels (it's no wonder I'm now hard of hearing) and in 82 she was going toe-to-toe with the menopause. :scared15:

Apparently, she'd been shouting up the stairs (for ages) for me to turn the volume down as she couldn't hear Terry Wogan (or whatever dude was on Radio 2) over my music..:whistles:

However, The Clash were a punk band so the record was naturally as hard as they were. Clash don't do flimsy, so Combat Rock survived with minimal damage (but I taped the bugger just in case Mum's hormone imbalance got the better of her again)

Should I Stay or Should I Go is on the soundtrack to my life playlist and I always think of my mum when I hear it. :roflmao:

Lencoboy
13-07-22, 16:22
I still use HMV.. (I was in there last week)

However, I think the last CD I bought was These People by Richard Ashcroft in 2016. :ohmy:

Have bought some vinyl albums though (and choked as I paid the money)

Aside my vinyl and CD collection, I use Amazon music for streaming and I generally buy music that way these days. I used to spend hours with my records and tapes making mix tapes and I still do this now on Amazon with playlists, only it's a lot quicker and no annoying cassette tape spoilage or technical issues with CD burning. What happens now is the internet conks out. :roflmao:

I played the Stranger Things music playlist yesterday (air drums for Master of Puppets, obvs) and it was excellent. Five hours worth of music. It's convenient, but there is still something special about going to a record store and handling albums..:emot-drool:

Go back further to the 70s and 80s (when a new album was under a fiver) and it was a treat for me to go the the record store with my dad. And they only sold records and tapes.. (and maybe a few badges and patches)

I've just seen that HMV is flogging The Clash's Combat Rock album (green disc) for the 40th anniversary so that's going on my wish list. (Forty years though? I feel ancient now)

Combat Rock was the album that was playing (loudly) in 82 when my mother booted open the bedroom door with her fluffy mule slipper; she marched in and unceremoniously removed The Clash mid-song - into the sleeve it went, and out through the window. The song was Should I Stay or Should I go (I guess the answer was 'Go') :roflmao:

To be fair to my mum, I had a habit of playing my music at ear-splitting levels (it's no wonder I'm now hard of hearing) and in 82 she was going toe-to-toe with the menopause. :scared15:

Apparently, she'd been shouting up the stairs (for ages) for me to turn the volume down as she couldn't hear Terry Wogan (or whatever dude was on Radio 2) over my music..:whistles:

However, The Clash were a punk band so the record was naturally as hard as they were. Clash don't do flimsy, so Combat Rock survived with minimal damage (but I taped the bugger just in case Mum's hormone imbalance got the better of her again)

Should I Stay or Should I Go is on the soundtrack to my life playlist and I always think of my mum when I hear it. :roflmao:

Pre-CD, let alone Internet, in the late 70s and early 80s, with a choice between just vinyl LPs and pre-recorded cassettes for albums, and for singles, 7'' and (occasionally) 12'' vinyl.

Sounds like my kind of bliss Nora, when recorded music was on 'proper' physical formats (and all analogue).