PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Alpha-gal Syndrome

MoonCat83
03-06-22, 04:51
Hey, it's me again. Good news, I seemed to have avoided infection from the tick.

Bad news, I'm worried about developing red meat allergy.

I tried to find reassurance that I'm one of the lucky people to have not developed it (Bad idea), but all I found is uncertainty and I'm worried. Some of the news stories didn't sit well with me and I'm distrustful of the fear-mongering media. I know I have managed to get the tick off properly and it apparently had been attached for a short time, but I can't help but worry. The two things I have read gave me some comfort are that not everyone who was bitten by a lone star tick gets it and multiple tick bites increase the risk. So as long as I avoid being bitten by ticks again (especially from a swarm of baby ticks!), I should be okay.

I have eaten red meat for about a week and a half after the bite and still feel fine. I'm cautiously optimistic that I had escaped the worst of it. If anything, I'm dealing with my health anxiety and doing everything I can to calm myself down.

MoonCat83
03-06-22, 18:04
Still doing alright physically, aside from the usual seasonal allergies and anxiety.

FamilyPicnic
05-06-22, 01:28
Hi, I had a tick illness last year, not alpha-gal, but simply because I was bit by a tick and got sick from it I am afraid I also have alpha-gal. I haven't eaten meat since that time. I know someone who does have this and because they were hiking in the same area I was hiking I feel like my chances are increased. I'm sure you know that you can get a test for this, I'm going to see my doctor in a couple of weeks for my yearly physical and I'm going to ask for this just to put my mind at ease.

MoonCat83
07-06-22, 02:25
Hello! I didn't think anyone would reply to my thread, but stranger things have happened. Hope your physical goes well! From most of the stuff I've read, I've never heard of being sick from a tick-borne illness as a risk factor. I'll have to think about it.