PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Anaphylaxis. It's taking me hours to eat anything....

Sharon123
07-06-22, 23:03
I went to an allergist the other day, and he told me that I am pretty positively allergic to all Tree Nuts except cashews. I always get an itchy throat and mouth when I eat tree nuts but nothing more serious. However, he told me quite reasonably that tree nut allergies can be a bit unpredictable unlike other allergies. And he told me that sometimes nut allergies can start off mild and then turn into anaphylaxis over time. But on the other hand, he also told me that because my symptoms have only been mouth itching each time, it is possible that it can stay that way and never get any more serious. However, he prescribed an Epinephrine Auto-Injector to carry with me where ever I go just in case. I was also advised to avoid tree nuts, which I already do because of the mouth itching.

I always have had a terrible fear of anaphylaxis after having seen my brother go through it once. My brother who has actually had it, is actually less scared of it than I am! He eats everything but just carries his Epi-Pen with him. In fact, it seems that he isn't scared of it at all!

I however...have become really scared to eat anything! Even things I have eaten hundreds of times before. Now suddenly, whenever I eat anything, I start feeling like my throat is really closing up and that my skin is feeling itchy. I check to make sure I can get a full breath in. I stop eating, wait for a while and then proceed eating slowly and tearfully. I start wondering if my mouth feels itchy or not. I check to see if I can swallow. I call my mom and ask her to keep an eye on me.

The thing is, some of these symptoms really feel real! But nothing comes of them. But it never ceases to freak me out each time it happens.

How does one get over a fear of anaphylaxis when they are actually at risk for it?

utrocket09
08-06-22, 01:38
I went to an allergist the other day, and he told me that I am pretty positively allergic to all Tree Nuts except cashews. I always get an itchy throat and mouth when I eat tree nuts but nothing more serious. However, he told me quite reasonably that tree nut allergies can be a bit unpredictable unlike other allergies. And he told me that sometimes nut allergies can start off mild and then turn into anaphylaxis over time. But on the other hand, he also told me that because my symptoms have only been mouth itching each time, it is possible that it can stay that way and never get any more serious. However, he prescribed an Epinephrine Auto-Injector to carry with me where ever I go just in case. I was also advised to avoid tree nuts, which I already do because of the mouth itching.

I always have had a terrible fear of anaphylaxis after having seen my brother go through it once. My brother who has actually had it, is actually less scared of it than I am! He eats everything but just carries his Epi-Pen with him. In fact, it seems that he isn't scared of it at all!

I however...have become really scared to eat anything! Even things I have eaten hundreds of times before. Now suddenly, whenever I eat anything, I start feeling like my throat is really closing up and that my skin is feeling itchy. I check to make sure I can get a full breath in. I stop eating, wait for a while and then proceed eating slowly and tearfully. I start wondering if my mouth feels itchy or not. I check to see if I can swallow. I call my mom and ask her to keep an eye on me.

The thing is, some of these symptoms really feel real! But nothing comes of them. But it never ceases to freak me out each time it happens.

How does one get over a fear of anaphylaxis when they are actually at risk for it?

I carry my epipen and go on with my life. I have a deathly allergy to bee stings.